Tom Crean and Steve McClain. Back together again.

Was not sure to start a new thread about this. But seeing as how, if it were not for Coach McClain.... we most likely would have never gotten a Big from Colorado.  Also ironic, in that the guy he is replacing is moving to Colorado as the HC at the Air Force Academy.

I remember the day when Colorado was playing in Maui. And their, then HC got off a plane and headed back home due to a family emergency. Coach McClain took over as acting HC. That's when I learned he is a very animated coach.

Georgia men’s basketball adds new assistant coach Steve McClain | Sports | redandblack.com

Any thoughts ?

5 hours ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

I really don't understand why UIC let him go. McClain had them in the conference championship game this year and it seemed like things were headed in the right direction. 

They were. Excellent point on your end. No clue what their administration is/was thinking. That's as good a coach they could imagine.

7 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

CTC's teams were much, much better when McClain was on staff.

I might be wrong but wasn’t he here for 5 seasons?  With us missing the tourney 2 of those years. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think we were worse with him on staff. I just don’t think there was any meaningful effect from him. I think him coming the year before Zeller might give that impression. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I might be wrong but wasn’t he here for 5 seasons?  With us missing the tourney 2 of those years. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think we were worse with him on staff. I just don’t think there was any meaningful effect from him. I think him coming the year before Zeller might give that impression. 

While at IU. The Hoosiers went 105-75. With two sweet sixteen appearances.  A record, I feel most current Hoosier fans would give their eye teeth for, right now. Thinking as to how long we have been dancing. And considering how Coach Crean had taken over after Sampsongate.  I will leave it up to you as to what Coach McClain played in that role. As for me...his role was more of a plus, than a minus. And once again. Keep in mind. Steve was responsible for a Colorado BIG coming to IU

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

While at IU. The Hoosiers went 105-75. With two sweet sixteen appearances.  A record, I feel most current Hoosier fans would give their eye teeth for, right now. Thinking as to how long we have been dancing. And considering how Coach Crean had taken over after Sampsongate.  I will leave it up to you as to what Coach McClain played in that role. As for me...his role was more of a plus, than a minus. And once again. Keep in mind. Steve was responsible for a Colorado BIG coming to IU

We were 45-24 the two seasons after he left though. 

Like I said I don’t think the record had any reflection on him. With Creans system would be hard for any assistant to help a team be consistently successful since Crean isn’t. 

Archived