NCAA simplifies the criteria used for tournament qualification

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I still have to wonder if they can get it right, though.

Of course not. It will always be subjective to a large degree. The new measures might be able to produce a list of prospective teams from which to choose, but due to the diversity of conferences, and the arcane notion that the conference tourneys mean more than a 15-20 game conference schedule, the selection process will always be subjective. It's never been about the best 68 teams, and I doubt if it ever will be. Just my 2¢.

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Of course not. It will always be subjective to a large degree. The new measures might be able to produce a list of prospective teams from which to choose, but due to the diversity of conferences, and the arcane notion that the conference tourneys mean more than a 15-20 game conference schedule, the selection process will always be subjective. It's never been about the best 68 teams, and I doubt if it ever will be. Just my 2¢.

It is about the top 36 at large teams and I think for the most part they do a good job selecting teams.  Also I will never just want the top 68 teams because I like those small conferences being the tournament.

I probably didn't explain myself sufficiently. I did not mean to opine that I thought the top 68 teams should be in the tourney. But there are many who lobby for that. Any stat measurement the NCAA wants to come up with will be flawed. Thus the need for the committee to eliminate those flaws.

I too, like the smaller conferences represented, but I would much rather have the conf regular season champion, rather than the conf tournament champion, because it shows a larger body of work.

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

I probably didn't explain myself sufficiently. I did not mean to opine that I thought the top 68 teams should be in the tourney. But there are many who lobby for that. Any stat measurement the NCAA wants to come up with will be flawed. Thus the need for the committee to eliminate those flaws.

I too, like the smaller conferences represented, but I would much rather have the conf regular season champion, rather than the conf tournament champion, because it shows a larger body of work.

I agree about thinking the regular season champ should hey the automatic bid.  This is a conference decision so can't blame the NCAA but I get the point.  Taking the tournament champ does make my point that every team is really in the tournament.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-ncaa-overhauls-the-net-ratings-used-to-build-the-march-madness-bracket-key-takeaways/

More explanation from our friend, Mr. Palm. Margin of victory is going to be emphasized in the new calculations, so be prepared for blowout games with every cupcake opponent. Wonder how the end of the bench kids are going to get any playing time, when the goal is to win by as many points possible?

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-ncaa-overhauls-the-net-ratings-used-to-build-the-march-madness-bracket-key-takeaways/

More explanation from our friend, Mr. Palm. Margin of victory is going to be emphasized in the new calculations, so be prepared for blowout games with every cupcake opponent. Wonder how the end of the bench kids are going to get any playing time, when the goal is to win by as many points possible?

Well this is certainly an improvement :coffee:

NCAA keeps formula a closely guarded secret

The secret formula is now even more secret. In fact, there is almost no part of the formula that can be calculated or reverse engineered. Only the base net efficiency can still be calculated.

Archived