On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

I know it's nothing like other events where people know exactly where they were at i.e.....when Kennedy was shot, Reagan assassination attempt....or obviously 9/11 but on this day 27 years ago OJ verdict was announced and I know exactly where I was. Broad Ripple apartment just watching in disbelief.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know it's nothing like other events where people know exactly where they were at i.e.....when Kennedy was shot, Reagan assassination attempt....or obviously 9/11 but on this day 27 years ago OJ verdict was announced and I know exactly where I was. Broad Ripple apartment just watching in disbelief.

That may have been the origins of my rule there is no woman worth going to prison over. That and the shawshank redemption.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

On this date 75 years ago First Lieutenant Chuck Yeager becomes the first man to break the speed of sound...

I just saw something on history or discovery about it the other day.  I don't know how guys like him walked around with all that extra weight between their legs. 

• Haha 1

Old Ironsides.

She went 33-0 in sea battles.  Better than the 32-0 1976 NCAA championship team.

On this day in history, Oct. 21, 1797, legendary warship USS Constitution launched in Boston

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-oct-21-1797-legendary-warship-uss-constitution-launched-boston

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

She went 33-0 in sea battles.

On this day in history, Oct. 21, 1797, legendary warship USS Constitution launched in Boston

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-oct-21-1797-legendary-warship-uss-constitution-launched-boston

Well I learned something new. 1965 wasn't the first time marines landed in Danang Vietnam.

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/ships/original-frigates/uss-constitution-americas-ship-of-state/world-cruise.html

Constitution arrived at Da Nang, in southern Vietnam, on 10 May 1845. A Vietnamese delegation came to tour the ship, as was customary. However, one of the delegates breached protocol by smuggling a letter to Percival.

Assuming the priest’s righteousness, Percival decided within an hour to storm into the town. Eighty armed men, among them 30 Marines, disembarked Constitution and followed the captain to the town’s administrative palaces. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well I learned something new. 1965 wasn't the first time marines landed in Danang Vietnam.

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/ships/original-frigates/uss-constitution-americas-ship-of-state/world-cruise.html

Constitution arrived at Da Nang, in southern Vietnam, on 10 May 1845. A Vietnamese delegation came to tour the ship, as was customary. However, one of the delegates breached protocol by smuggling a letter to Percival.

Assuming the priest’s righteousness, Percival decided within an hour to storm into the town. Eighty armed men, among them 30 Marines, disembarked Constitution and followed the captain to the town’s administrative palaces. 

That was the Old Ironsides Constitution, right? 

24 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

The British cavalry’s "Charge of the Light Brigade," famously dramatized by poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, took place on St. Crispin’s Day, Oct. 25, 1854, during the Crimean War. 

"Theirs not to reason why. Theirs but to do and die," Tennyson wrote of the hopeless and ill-fated attack.

Wasn’t that Country Joe and the Fish? Oh wait, wrong words same meaning 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Wasn’t that Country Joe and the Fish? Oh wait, wrong words same meaning 

and it's 1, 2, 3, what're we fighting for?
don't ask me, I don't give a damn
next stop is vietnam
and it's 5, 6, 7, open up the pearly gates
well there ain't no time to wonder why
whoopee! we're all gonna die

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So a miscellaneous rambling...

I saw where Dave Butz (yeah, I know he was a Boilermaker) passed away... I'd met him in 1980 at the Belle-Scott dinner where a member of the Belleville, Illinois business community would sponsor airmen (like me) for an evening of community good will (and a righteous dinner). 

I'd had a root canal that morning and was miserable all that day. I got to the dinner, and my sponsor was a great guy. Took me to the bar, and sponsored a little scotch self medicating 🙂...Dave Butz was there as one of the guest speakers. Ended up having a great (and long) conversation with my sponsor and Butz (this dude was huge) about sports, especially the NFL. One of those nights in your life that stands out... 

• Like 2