Movies that you just have to watch

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My wife refuses, to this day, to swim in the ocean.

Funny generational thing -- When my oldest was around 7 or 8, Jaws came on. I told him I didn't want him to watch it because it's scary and he'll have nightmares. He said naah, let me watch it.

We watched it together -- he laughed at the big rubber shark. Look at how fake it is! So what scared the heck out of me as a kid now looks like a big toy to kids, who have grown up with CGI and sophisticated graphics. Lol

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Funny generational thing -- When my oldest was around 7 or 8, Jaws came on. I told him I didn't want him to watch it because it's scary and he'll have nightmares. He said naah, let me watch it.

We watched it together -- he laughed at the big rubber shark. Look at how fake it is! So what scared the heck out of me as a kid now looks like a big toy to kids, who have grown up with CGI and sophisticated graphics. Lol

See how he feels after watching "The Exorcist", that one scared the bejesus out of me as a young lad.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

See how he feels after watching "The Exorcist", that one scared the bejesus out of me as a young lad.

Well he's 23 now, lol, and there's no rubber devil 😄

Horror movies never scared me for whatever reason, they just don't seem real (like Jaws did) and I end up laughing at people who have to go creeping about in the dark house (eg, Halloween). 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

13 minutes ago, rico said:

That's funny...I had some kids (18-20) who worked on my air traffic crew 20 years ago...they asked me what older "scary" movies I would recommend...

I said "The Omen," "The Exorcist," and "The Dead Zone."

The only one they liked was " The Dead Zone." Said the other 2 were like phony comedies...

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My wife refuses, to this day, to swim in the ocean.

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were kayaking in a sound in North Carolina (separate kayaks) and we spotted a fin in the water about 30 feet away and my wife starts to freak out and scream to paddle away quickly towards shore. We did but I kept watching the fin and about 10-15 seconds later a dolphin popped up...

She then yelled for us to paddle back towards them so we could get a closer look ha (at first you could only see the one fin/dolphin).

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Thank you, Rico!!  I was beginning to think no one here appreciated the classics.  "MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. POTTER!!"

I am BIG into the classics...

Stalag 17

Key Largo

Stagecoach

The Maltese Falcon

Dial "M" for Murder

In Harm's Way

Etc.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Stalag 17

Key Largo

Stagecoach

The Maltese Falcon

Dial "M" for Murder

In Harm's Way

Etc.

To Have Or Have Not - "You know how to whistle, don't you Steve?"

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre - "Badges?  We don't have no stinking badges."

North By Northwest - "Using real bullets.  That's not very fair."

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

What are the movies that when you flip through the guide you just have to watch no matter how far into the movie it is?

For me some are 

Forrest Gump 

Shawshank Redemption 

Hoosiers

The Notebook

The Big Lebowski 

I love that you put the Notebook in there.  That movie gets me too, but for you to own that right off the top, I give you props.  And since you admitted it, I will admit it too.  

Best regards,

Secure in my manhood, Bob Saccamanno

17 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I thought it was awful but I’m older than you and saw BNB first when it came out in the theatre. Walter Matthau, Tatum O’Neal. Tanner who took on the whole 7th grade (that was me in middle school lol). I was 10 in ‘76 

You’re a year older than me.  I saw that one and Breaking Training in the theater. Loved them both.  1976 is one of my favorite years.  Bicentennial.  Kind of like the opposite of 2020 lol.  

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Thank you, Rico!!  I was beginning to think no one here appreciated the classics.  "MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. POTTER!!"

OMG my family watches it every year with anticipation.  I remember back in the day, it’d be on a variety of channels and was basically on all the time.  “Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings.”  I tear up nearly every time.  

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

OMG my family watches it every year with anticipation.  I remember back in the day, it’d be on a variety of channels and was basically on all the time.  “Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings.”  I tear up nearly every time.  

I only have to watch about the last ten minutes or so...And I get emotional.  LOL.  😂

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I love that you put the Notebook in there.  That movie gets me too, but for you to own that right off the top, I give you props.  And since you admitted it, I will admit it too.  

Best regards,

Secure in my manhood, Bob Saccamanno

I am a big softie I would start a list of movies that make you cry but it would be song long my fingers get sore from typing. Romantic at heart and not afraid to show emotion 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Stalag 17

Key Largo

Stagecoach

The Maltese Falcon

Dial "M" for Murder

In Harm's Way

Etc.

My list would also include a favorite from back in my younger days....Midnight Cowboy.    "HEY, I'm walking here!!"

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Watch this with the fam every Christmas Eve, family tradition.

C'mon Kid! 

You used up all the glue, on purpose!

Fra - gile!

Electric sex, gleaming in the window

What are you gonna cry now? Come on crybaby cry for me, come on cry!

Godfather 

Godfather Part II

Since I formerly went by Abe Froman, you know I could list any of a number of John Hughes movies. 

Ferris Buehler

Vacation

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 

Then some other miscellaneous ones: 

Stripes 

Good Morning Vietnam 

Trading Places

Spinal Tap

When Harry Met Sally 

A Few Good Men

Hoosiers and Shawshank are no brainers.

I already mentioned the Notebook, It’s a Wonderful Life, Rear Window...

I just saw the Green Book.  We loved it.  Not saying it makes my list because I need to let it settle.  

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Godfather 

Godfather Part II

Since I formerly went by Abe Froman, you know I could list any of a number of John Hughes movies. 

Ferris Buehler

Vacation

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 

Then some other miscellaneous ones: 

Stripes 

Good Morning Vietnam 

Trading Places

Spinal Tap

When Harry Met Sally 

A Few Good Men

Hoosiers and Shawshank are no brainers.

I already mentioned the Notebook, It’s a Wonderful Life, Rear Window...

I just saw the Green Book.  We loved it.  Not saying it makes my list because I need to let it settle.  

YOU are the Sausage King of Chicago?

Archived