School delays/closings

TheWatShot

Nothing to do with Covid, I was just honestly curious to hear others' thoughts on this topic. I know it seems too early in the school year for this, but a school in my area closed today because of fog. I remember this happening once when I was growing up, and remember driving to my friend's house that day anyway. I think it seems silly to close when road conditions are fine. I can understand closing when roads are slick and snow-covered, but honestly don't see why this happens for fog. 

Is the CYA mentality that strong now? Are schools that worried about lawsuits? 

I woke up this morning and could not see the lake out my back window...the fog was that dense. 

Per the WANE website, 26 school districts in NE Indiana and NW Ohio are on delay due to fog.

With 3 kids killed a couple of years ago due to a woman blowing past the out raised arm of a school bus, I am positive that the officials making the decisions are being cautious. As with covid, I think the "better safe than sorry" mantra makes sense, and is good practice these days.

I laughed at my wife when she told me a few years ago that her school used to close for fog.  I'm all for being careful, but can't they just delay the start for a couple of hours.

All that said, schools close much more often than they used to.  My kids have missed school because of 'expected' snow where we ended up not getting a single flake.

I grew up in Martinsville. The city park has a huge hill on the west side that is cleared of trees.

It always amazed me that on days when they closed the Martinsville schools because of snow, the number of kids could still make it to that hill with their sleds...

Archived