2021 class has most talent ever so far

The Daily Hoosier

I couldn’t agree more with the approach.  I am always more interested in the average rating level.  Allowing volume to a ranking just skews everything away from understanding how talented the kids are.  Even average rating can be odd because long snappers and kickers are often not rated as high.  Overall, the athletic level of the team has shot through the roof in recent years.  

If I could spend an hour with Tom Allen, I’d go through what he thinks about personnel.  What is is philosophy behind the husky?  What does he look for in particular positions?  As an observer, I see definite patterns in what he emphasizes.  Our recruiting follows a particular vision.  It’s much more coherent and aggressive.  The Hoosier Hysterics guys just did a long form interview with him.  I like those guys but they spent so much time on his back story which is fine, but they missed an opportunity to hear him talk about his football thoughts.  I would have enjoyed that.  

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I couldn’t agree more with the approach.  I am always more interested in the average rating level.  Allowing volume to a ranking just skews everything away from understanding how talented the kids are.  Even average rating can be odd because long snappers and kickers are often not rated as high.  Overall, the athletic level of the team has shot through the roof in recent years.  

If I could spend an hour with Tom Allen, I’d go through what he thinks about personnel.  What is is philosophy behind the husky?  What does he look for in particular positions?  As an observer, I see definite patterns in what he emphasizes.  Our recruiting follows a particular vision.  It’s much more coherent and aggressive.  The Hoosier Hysterics guys just did a long form interview with him.  I like those guys but they spent so much time on his back story which is fine, but they missed an opportunity to hear him talk about his football thoughts.  I would have enjoyed that.  

I THINK that 247 might attempt to mitigate class size impact in their rankings when they finalize the rankings for a particular year.  They say that is done anyway.  But when a class like 2021 is in progress, class size clearly influences the rankings.

I don't really have an issue with sites factoring in class size.  We've seen with our team how important depth is, and that is what they factor in.  I'd much rather have a class of 25 recruits that average around the 900th player in the class than a class of 15 that ranks around the 750th player in the class.  I think some sites cap it at the top 20 players each year.  I haven't had a chance to read your article yet, but I agree that this is our most talented class ever.

Archived