RIP Gale Sayers...

FritzIam4IU

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Before my time but what a graceful runner.  RIP

My wife's Grandfather was Bears team Dr back in the day. My favorite story from him was the day he and Halas had at it if you will. Sayers had a gash below his eye from the old school cleats. Halas said clear him for practice. He wouldn't budge because he said no way Sayers should be in a uniform for weeks......needless to say my wife's Grandfather lost his team Dr. privileges the following days. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My wife's Grandfather was Bears team Dr back in the day. My favorite story from him was the day he and Halas had at it if you will. Sayers had a gash below his eye from the old school cleats. Halas said clear him for practice. He wouldn't budge because he said no way Sayers should be in a uniform for weeks......needless to say my wife's Grandfather lost his team Dr. privileges the following days. 

Good story.  The doctor should be independent of the coaches.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good story.  The doctor should be independent of the coaches.  

He was.....and he's the same Dr that asked Sam Snead if he could film him at Augusta. This guy walked and lived to his own drum....regardless of repercussions. Regarding Sayers. He spoke at a church camp of mine in Princeton, Illinois one year. I only wish at the time (Walter was our guy) I knew who was actually speaking to us.

Sayers was so special. I don't know how he stacked up vs Brown but man....

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Story about Halas.  Told to me by my father when I was young.  Halas would drive weekly to Gary, Indiana to GIVE out tickets to Bears games. 

In respect to Sayers.  One of the greatest NFL running backs of all time.  May he rest in peace. And thanks for giving me some of my most memorable NFL times of my life.

Archived