De'Ron Davis

Hey Y'all I just figured id start a thread on him. Wanted to get your opinions on him. I think there is no question he is now a 4 year player. He worked so hard in the offseason to lose that weight and at times has looked dominant. He still makes silly fouls and has really been struggling lately IMO. Do you think that attributes to trying to learn the new system or he is just not as good as we thought he would be so our expectations were higher for him?

He's a good player, but he is limited because of his lack of mobility and silly fouls.  For instance, against ND it made more sense to go with Hartman and Morgan up front because they could get out on the perimeter and guard the Irish big men.  He's not even our best offensive option on the low block at this point, so against teams that he is a defensive liability it makes sense to view him as our third forward, even if he will likely start all year.  He also is a liability at the free throw line, which makes it hard to play him down the stretch.  

22 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Mile I know De'Ron is someone you are rooting for and know so I tried to tread lightly. Trust me I like De'ron and this is not a thread to bash him hope you know that my friend

You are good.  Ligit topic.  Gonna be hard for me to stay out of it, having watched De'Ron since he was in 8th grade.... hence the Danny D. gif.  Always open to civil discussions. And very interested in what HSN 3.0 has to say.

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's a good player, but he is limited because of his lack of mobility and silly fouls.  For instance, against ND it made more sense to go with Hartman and Morgan up front because they could get out on the perimeter and guard the Irish big men.  He's not even our best offensive option on the low block at this point, so against teams that he is a defensive liability it makes sense to view him as our third forward, even if he will likely start all year.  He also is a liability at the free throw line, which makes it hard to play him down the stretch.  

This is spot on! He's already limited a bit because of his lack of mobility and lack of athleticism. But probably more than anyone, Davis is being negatively impacted by Morgan's development as a post player and Morgan's lack of development of a perimeter shot. We can't have two bigs clogging the lane and right now Morgan is the more effective overall player. Morgan is more versatile, a better rebounder and more effective defensively on the perimeter, and Davis' poor free throw shooting hurts him as well. 

It's not so much anything Davis is doing wrong, other than fouls and poor free throw shooting, it's just Morgan's accession and bad matchups for De'Ron.

With all that said, it doesn't mean he won't have a big impact on this team and the program as he continues to develop and improve.  

Archie is going to play matchups. Simply put. Which is the reason we've seen guys like De'Ron, Smith, and McSwain sitting and McRoberts playing. The next game, McRoberts may only get 5 minutes, and the others much more.

De"Ron and company simply have work to do to be out on the floor on a regular basis. De"Ron's fouling issues make it hard for a coach to trust in crunch time.

As De'Ron gets better and understands the game more, I think we'll see an increase in PT. But Archie is going to put the team in the best position to win, regardless of who is getting the bench time as a result.

ok so why is De'Ron creating these fouls when he does get in. Is it not understanding the game, bad positioning, over aggression, or something else.  He's a great kid and has the talent and the ability to score. His confidence to me is down right now though and that's not a good thing because I definitely think he's going to be needed next year if Juwan decides to jump to the nba if he keeps playing like he's playing ala victor oladipo and his path to the nba.

After the game, I listened to the Assembly call (post game show you can find on Youtube) as I normally would. Davis was mentioned and one of the hosts said ND was a bad matchup for De'ron since they run small lineups a lot. 

However, De'ron scored a very important bucket down the stretch when we desperately needed one. He's been going through some growing pain and moments of inconsistency, but I'm sure he'll develop into a really good post player for us. We've got a great coaching staff that will push De'ron to the max.

Davis is just early into his soph season, a non-running big who is continuing to learn position timing (almost always a learning curve for college bigs, or for that matter, for NBA bigs) and still early into more emphasized play after trimming down and becoming more of a primary option. 

Way early to write down his potential in any way. He has shown all kinds of potential as a college big, but he's not a running big (at least not at this stage). Matchups definitely play a role here, and it's also fair to say he hasn't developed an explosive game around the rim. But none of this is to say he can't be a really impactful player going forward. The fouling is a a reflection of his continuing to have to learn positional play/timing with increased emphasis on his contributions/role up front. The free throw shooting needs work, but have to think that will continue to improve as it doesn't look like form, more like nerves/confidence/mental.

Morgan is a junior, and it was this same season, early on, when a number of people were posting that he just wasn't living up to expectations and wasn't going to contribute at a high level. Now look at him. Morgan is playing like a serious baller. He's also knocked down the occasional outside shot. I don't know if he'll be utilized gradually more on the perimeter (as in going back outside and knocking down a few more shots), but if he does that would likely benefit Davis's inside game.

Regardless, I'm high on Davis's potential. It's early.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Morgan is a junior, and it was this same season, early on, when a number of people were posting that he just wasn't living up to expectations and wasn't going to contribute at a high level. Now look at him. Morgan is playing like a serious baller. He's also knocked down the occasional outside shot. I don't know if he'll be utilized gradually more on the perimeter (as in going back outside and knocking down a few more shots), but if he does that would likely benefit Davis's inside game.

Good point. I think Morgan completely figured out his playing range/distance from the basket at this point (this could be part of great coaching). He got 13 buckets out of 17 attempts in ND game and none of them was 3-point shots. I saw he tried a few mid range jumpers that didn't drop and he turned to his mixture of face-up/back-to-the-basket arsenal towards the end of the game. I'm dead sure Morgan's been working on extending his scoring range, which will benefit Davis towards the end of this season. 

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Hey Y'all I just figured id start a thread on him. Wanted to get your opinions on him. I think there is no question he is now a 4 year player. He worked so hard in the offseason to lose that weight and at times has looked dominant. He still makes silly fouls and has really been struggling lately IMO. Do you think that attributes to trying to learn the new system or he is just not as good as we thought he would be so our expectations were higher for him?

I think he’s really good but just has some limitations. He needs the ball on the block. He’s not quick, so he gets in foul trouble. He’s strong and plays strong, until he goes up for his shot. He seems to get tired easily. And his mental issue at the FT line is a liability down the stretch. 

He is just a sophomore that plays with his back to the basket. He has shown an ability to take over games. Seems to have a great work ethic. Passes pretty well out of the post. I like him a lot and think he’s going to become a dominant big man offensively as he’s coached by Archie and Co. 

Archived