The Sorry State of Boxing

IUFLA

After reading the results from last night's boxing card, headlined by Jones vs Tyson, I was saddened beyond belief. Is this what a great sport has come to? 2 washed up fighters who were all-time greats in their primes pawing at each other, with a draw as the result?

Not to mention a "steller" undercard featuring. "Youtube personality" (Jake Paul, whoever the hell that is) kicking the crap out of former NBA player Nate Robinson (think of that humiliation that'll carry with it) with commentary from that legendary boxing analyst Calvin Broadus Jr?

Who pays to see this kind of stuff? I know there's a pandemic, but are we so hard up for entertainment we'll scrape the bottom of the barrel to this degree?

Good Lord...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

After reading the results from last night's boxing card, headlined by Jones vs Tyson, I was saddened beyond belief. Is this what a great sport has come to? 2 washed up fighters who were all-time greats in their primes pawing at each other, with a draw as the result?

Not to mention a "steller" undercard featuring. "Youtube personality" (Jake Paul, whoever the hell that is) kicking the crap out of former NBA player Nate Robinson (think of that humiliation that'll carry with it) with commentary from that legendary boxing analyst Calvin Broadus Jr?

Who pays to see this kind of stuff? I know there's a pandemic, but are we so hard up for entertainment we'll scrape the bottom of the barrel to this degree?

Good Lord...

A YouTuber beating a former NBA player with Snoop calling it? The hell....someone actually tried bringing Celebrity Deathmatch to life. 

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A YouTuber beating a former NBA player with Snoop calling it? The hell....someone actually tried bringing Celebrity Deathmatch to life. 

I'd forgotten all about that claymation series...

Yeah, kinda like that but replace humorous with sad and pathetic...

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd forgotten all about that claymation series...

Yeah, kinda like that but replace humorous with sad and pathetic...

Well apparently the esteemed Mr. Paul is 2-0 in his pro boxing "career". He's beaten another YouTuber and a 5'9" former NBA player that he has 20 years and 6" on. 

Sport of kings? More like sport of jesters. 

Well, out of the same curiosity that lured Cousin Eddie to the "Yak Lady" tent, I looked both "fights" up on YouTube. They're there for the watching, but don't expect much.

First, the Jake Whats-His-Name vs Nate Robinson bout was more like a wrestling match. The other conclusion I drew was that Nate Robinson's jaw makes Waterford Crystal look like granite. That or the fix was in.

As for the main event, if I wanted to see 2 50-some-year-old men dance I'd go to the Neon Boots Dancehall & Saloon in Houston where I'm betting the cover charge isn't $49.99 plus tax...

Ah well, the whoring out of the entertainment industry is almost complete. It's not about the competition or the art anymore, unless you're talking about presidential pictures on money...

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As for the main event, if I wanted to see 2 50-some-year-old men dance I'd go to the Neon Boots Dancehall & Saloon in Houston where I'm betting the cover charge isn't $49.99 plus tax..

I'm not going to ask how you're aware of such an establishment.......

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hope you didn't turn the channel after LSU gifted us the Florida loss and watched this boxing.  Wow.  

Edward Berlanga.  16-0 with 16 1st round knock outs.  Ali started with 21.  He just ripped this dude that was 28-2.

Yeah, Berlanga is the real deal.  His punching power reminds me very much of a young Mike Tyson.  Sierra had never been stopped prior to getting three knockdowns in the first 2:40.

MMA has really hurt traditional boxing and I don't see that changing anytime soon...just a superior product when it comes to exciting action.  Berlanga could be the guy to bring boxing back...he looks that good.

Bringing this back because I have been watching some old fights, Boxing, UFC should be included. Watched it since when it was underground with my cousin.  

Guys beating the shit out of each other for sport. 

Seems to me once satellite and PPV came along and money got involved it got watered and commercialized.

My cousin and me were rolling and grappling and beating the shit out of each other before anyone knew what UFC was. I'm talking before PPV.  My cousin was trained by a guy who was taught by Renzo Gracie.  Has a martial arts school in Bedford.  

Money and commercializian ruins everything.😔

Archived