Jack Tuttle

Could we be in better hands with Tuttle? He seemed confident and very capable with a little more than a quarter, game pretty much in hand. IDK it just seemed like MP missed some easy throws and offence was stagnant because of it. 

Goes without saying, but i hope for a speedy recovery for Penix, and Tuttle can show off his 4 star recruit skills. 

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Could we be in better hands with Tuttle? He seemed confident and very capable with a little more than a quarter, game pretty much in hand. IDK it just seemed like MP missed some easy throws and offence was stagnant because of it. 

Goes without saying, but i hope for a speedy recovery for Penix, and Tuttle can show off his 4 star recruit skills. 

Apparently Tuttle runs an 4.9, and by judging a highlight, did have a couple of rushing TD

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Penix threw for 490 and 5TDs as a pocket passer vs. OSU on the road? Shew. 

I knew someone would bring that game up. My comment was not for arguing about how good or bad Penix is, it was more for the unknown of Tuttle. But for argument sake, because everyone on here likes to argue:

PSU: 19/36 170 yards, offense was dormant for all but the last drive

MD: 6/19 84 yards for nearly 3 quarters

25 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I 'm thinking in terms of being a pocket passer. Penix seemed to be errant and inaccurate. Penix for as mobile as he is, didnt run the ball much anyway.

He’s very accurate.  He was off that day because his mechanics were messed up.  Why?  Perhaps something was off with his shoulder, elbow, or arm.  He didn’t look right for sure.  But if you watch him regularly, he’s accurate when his mechanics and form are proper.  

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I knew someone would bring that game up. My comment was not for arguing about how good or bad Penix is, it was more for the unknown of Tuttle. But for argument sake, because everyone on here likes to argue:

PSU: 19/36 170 yards, offense was dormant for all but the last drive

MD: 6/19 84 yards for nearly 3 quarters

Yep. PSU it was his first game in 12 months.. and UM he was just flat bad. 

Just not sure how someone thats completed 62% of his career passes be inaccurate. I will also bet that percentage would be 2% higher if the OL was better. Penix was a master at "saving a sack" by getting rid of the ball. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep. PSU it was his first game in 12 months.. and UM he was just flat bad. 

Just not sure how someone thats completed 62% of his career passes be inaccurate. I will also bet that percentage would be 2% higher if the OL was better. Penix was a master at "saving a sack" by getting rid of the ball. 

Thats fair, i just took into consideration this year's 56.4%. I do watch a lot of football, but i dont know enough about the nuances such as bobs mentioning of mechanics. The pessimism in me sometimes bleeds into my fandom and only see/remember the negative plays. It did seem this last game Penix is starting to develop some touch passing instead of lasering it in at 95 mph from 5 yards away. Which brings us to some critical dropped passes. Cant help with the pessimism in me. now i must tune into IU and Providence as i pretend to work.

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

Thats fair, i just took into consideration this year's 56.4%. I do watch a lot of football, but i dont know enough about the nuances such as bobs mentioning of mechanics. The pessimism in me sometimes bleeds into my fandom and only see/remember the negative plays. It did seem this last game Penix is starting to develop some touch passing instead of lasering it in at 95 mph from 5 yards away. Which brings us to some critical dropped passes. Cant help with the pessimism in me. now i must tune into IU and Providence as i pretend to work.

Penix was by no means perfect, but you don't throw for 490 and 5TDs @OSU if you can't flat out play. Sure his WRs made some plays for him, but he gave them a chance to make those plays for him... if that makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Penix was by no means perfect, but you don't throw for 490 and 5TDs @OSU if you can't flat out play. Sure his WRs made some plays for him, but he gave them a chance to make those plays for him... if that makes sense. 

It does for me.... make sense.... that is.  If anyone watched the Denver Bronco's game on Sunday... they will understand.  A walk on WR.... who a month ago was a salesman... and had practically no practice time..... never even came close to giving his receivers a chance to catch the ball.  Not on him, IMHO.... on the NFL for not moving the game to this week.

54 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I thought your point was fair.  I was viewing his entire body of work. You may recall that he completed 20 straight at Michigan State (a record) last year and he was around 69% for the season last year.  So, I’ve thought he is accurate.  But he had a couple of rough stretches this year and that’s fair that you observed that.   Either he needs to work on his consistency with mechanics or there was something extenuating the last game.  But I appreciate your post and thought it was a valid point.  

I feel terrible for Penix, but I can't help but feel happy for Tuttle.  He's had a long road to get here.  One of the top QBs in his class, goes to Utah and transfers before playing.  Comes here and sits for a year and a half with only mop up time.  Glad to see him get a chance.  Wish it was under much different circumstances, but good for him.  I'm sure it has been a long road physically and mentally for him, so hopefully he can take advantage of it.

Also, it gives Dexter Williams a chance to get #2 QB reps in practice.  Could really help his development.  I know there were some really good things said about him when he got here in the spring, and I think he could be a dark horse candidate competing against McCulley once Penix and Tuttle are gone.

Just trying to find some positives today!

Well, let's hope he's ready and our defense remains solid.  I don't know which Wisconsin team will come out, if the game actually gets played.  The world beaters or the the team that looked horrible while getting crushed by NW.  If Allen is not afraid to let Tuttle throw downfield like Penix did, and if he's as good as he's supposed to be, then the offense should be OK as long as he does not get too flustered by a good defense.  Unless Wisc is crazy good on offense, our defense should keep them in check.

2 hours ago, IUguy said:

Well, let's hope he's ready and our defense remains solid.  I don't know which Wisconsin team will come out, if the game actually gets played.  The world beaters or the the team that looked horrible while getting crushed by NW.  If Allen is not afraid to let Tuttle throw downfield like Penix did, and if he's as good as he's supposed to be, then the offense should be OK as long as he does not get too flustered by a good defense.  Unless Wisc is crazy good on offense, our defense should keep them in check.

With the endless list of skill position weapons, I hope we still throw.  Those guys can make chunk yardage plays and really help Tuttle. 

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With the endless list of skill position weapons, I hope we still throw.  Those guys can make chunk yardage plays and really help Tuttle. 

I can't imagine we will go away from that. Jack can make all the throws.  He got any rust off on Saturday,  a full week of preparation I feel we are in good hands

Archived