All 13 All-Big Ten honorees were 3-star recruits

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just to play devils advocate is it the rankings that are overrated or the coaching they get with CTA and staff is underrated?  He sees the fit then coaches them up beyond what they probably thought possible

It’s that Allen knows what he wants at every single position physically and he makes sure about the mental side too.  He coached in the SEC and knows what it takes to play high level.  

He doesn’t recruit like our prior coaches prior to Wilson. You’d get a hodge podge of guys and the staff would compromise on measurables sporadically.  We aren’t doing that now.  

I have studied Allen in interviews and press conferences and watched all his moves for years.  He knows exactly what he’s doing and what he wants.  If anybody truly studied, you could see a competent team coming together. The regular posters here for years are probably the least surprised that we could be a highly competent, well run team.  

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s that Allen knows what he wants at every single position physically and he makes sure about the mental side too.  He coached in the SEC and knows what it takes to play high level.  

He doesn’t recruit like our prior coaches prior to Wilson. You’d get a hodge podge of guys and the staff would compromise on measurables sporadically.  We aren’t doing that now.  

I have studied Allen in interviews and press conferences and watched all his moves for years.  He knows exactly what he’s doing and what he wants.  If anybody truly studied, you could see a competent team coming together. The regular posters here for years are probably the least surprised that we could be a highly competent, well run team.  

Watching him during press conferences and interviews you can tell he is super passionate, but highly intellectual and everything he does/says has a purpose. Very intentional in his words and actions. 

On 12/17/2020 at 1:49 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Just to play devils advocate is it the rankings that are overrated or the coaching they get with CTA and staff is underrated?  He sees the fit then coaches them up beyond what they probably thought possible

I agree Allen and the staff should get some of the credit. It’s been great to see what they have done. Recruiting is also part of coaching and their recruiting in the south, where 10/13 played HS ball, cannot be overlooked. I confirmed where the 13 players played in HS and the tally is:

Florida - 6

Indiana - 2

Tennessee - 2

Mississippi- 2

NY - 1

In the past I’ve posted that I would like to see us ramp up, once again, the number of Florida recruits we land as they have really helped transform the team. The 2020 class had 0 Floridians while the 2021 class has 1. Would be great, assuming they are the proper fit, to land at least 3-5 Floridians every year. EDIT: to add a little more context, in regards to the Floridian recruits, we landed 8 in 2017, 8 in 2018, 7 in 2019, 0 in 2020 and 1 in 2021.

17 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kudos to your evaluation of Allen and seeing what was coming.

I saw an enthusiastic guy that loved IU and, as the DC, seemed to be moving our defense in the right direction. As the head coach I saw the team improving but if you had told me two years ago that Allen would take us to the Gator bowl and follow that up with being ranked 7th in the country I have to admit that I would have laughed, asked you what you were drinking, tell you to put down the bong, asked if you felt confused, etc etc. My feelings were not primarily based on Allen’s talent but rather IU football PTSD. Allen’s greatest achievement has been the absolutely monumental task of changing the mindset and expectations of the players and everyone associated with the program. Rather than the Gator Bowl and then following that up with being ranked 7th in the country I assumed we would be in the 5-7 to 7-5 range this year and last.  Really happy to be wrong and am enjoying eating a huge plate of crow.

Thanks IU878176.  To be clear, we may have exceeded my expectations on record and timing this year.  We know we play a who’s who of brand names every single year, so I’m not going to pretend I predicted our record. 

But, what I was trying to say is a group of us were studying the talent and depth being accumulated and that we would have the ability to win because of the type and depth of players we accumulated.  I don’t want to come across like I’m crowing about being in a New Years 6 bowl game.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks IU878176.  To be clear, we may have exceeded my expectations on record and timing this year.  We know we play a who’s who of brand names every single year, so I’m not going to pretend I predicted our record. 

But, what I was trying to say is a group of us were studying the talent and depth being accumulated and that we would have the ability to win because of the type and depth of players we accumulated.  I don’t want to come across like I’m crowing about being in a New Years 6 bowl game.  

No, I did not think you were crowing about the New Year 6 bowl (s).  I was more making fun of myself a bit by admitting that while I saw some good things from Allen I thought we would still be stuck in the 5-7 or so world. 

Recruiting rankings for football are going to be inherently less accurate than those for basketball, simply because you're dealing with over a dozen different positions which require vastly different skill sets vs 5 that are much more similar. 

I think Allen and staff know what kind of player they want and the criteria that will make him good out of the box, and that will allow him to grow and develop under their coaching. 

Archived