Jerome Hunter

Someone else brought it up in another thread, but having to have Jerome guard B10 4s is not good for us. We saw a glimpse of that yesterday. This is where we miss Joey Brunk a lot. The frontcourt depth is severely lacking. I don't think we can have 4 players playing 32+ minutes a game (as we did yesterday) in the grind of the B10 and be successful. 

That said, I would like for Jerome to find his niche on this team. His outside shot is pretty reliable. But he has to stay away from the plays that hurt our chances of winning...the fouls, the turnovers, and being out of defensive position. 

If he could do that, I see the potential of having 3 shooters like Franklin, Stewart, and Jerome out on the floor together with TJD, Race, and Joey rotating the 4 and 5. 

Oh, baby...

Some guys just can't translate practice or even high school to the college court.  IU has had so many of them over the last 15 years.  Kids who absolutely have every single tool to be an absolute beast of a plater but it doesn't show up.  Its part of the game.  2 * kids come out of nowhere and 5 * kids slowly disappear.  

Unfortunately i think Hunter is in the wrong system for him.  He is too big for the 3 on defense and to small for the 4 on the offensive and defensive end.  Our line-up, offense and size just don't support hunter being maximized.  i hope by the time he is a senior he owns the floor and plays himself into an nba spot.

This might be a reach but I feel like Jerome is similar to De'ron Davis in this regard. Got to campus and just fell behind. Injuries and obvious life threatening illness for Jerome and he just hasn't caught up. To me I'd prefer to see him setup shop exactly where Armaan was yesterday draining 3's in first half. Right there where attacking guards can dish and he can shoot.....or if ball goes into TJD and he's doubled up TJD can kick to him quickly for shot. 

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Some guys just can't translate practice or even high school to the college court.  IU has had so many of them over the last 15 years.  Kids who absolutely have every single tool to be an absolute beast of a plater but it doesn't show up.  Its part of the game.  2 * kids come out of nowhere and 5 * kids slowly disappear.  

Unfortunately i think Hunter is in the wrong system for him.  He is too big for the 3 on defense and to small for the 4 on the offensive and defensive end.  Our line-up, offense and size just don't support hunter being maximized.  i hope by the time he is a senior he owns the floor and plays himself into an nba spot.

I'm going to always wonder if the Jerome we see now is a degraded version of Jerome coming out of HS because of his leg problems.  I don't expect him to change, unfortunately, which supports your view of his play this season.  And I agree that rankings are often questionable.

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm going to always wonder if the Jerome we see now is a degraded version of Jerome coming out of HS because of his leg problems.  I don't expect him to change, unfortunately, which supports your view of his play this season.  And I agree that rankings are often questionable.

Yeah the leg thing probably set him back, but if was as talented as everyone says, he should get back to that or should already be there.  Sometimes kids don't materialize like we hope or expect.  Doesn't make him any less important to the team or any less of a player/student/person, it just be like that sometimes.  I really do hope he turns it on and blows up the college stage next year.  But i think what we see is what we've got.  And its still not a bad product on the floor, just not what we hoped for,

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yeah the leg thing probably set him back, but if was as talented as everyone says, he should get back to that or should already be there.  Sometimes kids don't materialize like we hope or expect.  Doesn't make him any less important to the team or any less of a player/student/person, it just be like that sometimes.  I really do hope he turns it on and blows up the college stage next year.  But i think what we see is what we've got.  And its still not a bad product on the floor, just not what we hoped for,

It's too early to write him off. He wasn't able to really start working out and practicing until only a couple of months before last season. Then this past off season there was COVID.

The Hunter we've seen so far this season is likely the one we'll see for the rest of the season but not necessarily the one we'll see in the future.

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

It's too early to write him off. He wasn't able to really start working out and practicing until only a couple of months before last season. Then this past off season there was COVID.

The Hunter we've seen so far this season is likely the one we'll see for the rest of the season but not necessarily the one we'll see in the future.

Never said i was writing him off.  And yeah its been a year and a half.  I just don't think we're going to get the first round talent everyone claimed he was.  Doesn't mean he won't get better or be a good player.  It just is what it is.  Some kids don't translate to game time in college.  Its just part of life

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Never said i was writing him off.  And yeah its been a year and a half.  I just don't think we're going to get the first round talent everyone claimed he was.  Doesn't mean he won't get better or be a good player.  It just is what it is.  Some kids don't translate to game time in college.  Its just part of life

I think his game translates but the injury could have taken some things away.  Also the last 13-15 games last year he showed some good things.  Also I think him having to play the 4 instead of the wing is hurting him ad well.

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I didn't know if the leg issue had affected anything...like lateral quickness or jumping ability permanently or not.  His shot would be a confidence thing, I hope.  But I'm in agreement with you in hoping he steps up next year, if not by the end of this season.  😊

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The last two sentences of your previous post made it sound like you were writing him off.

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

The last two sentences of your previous post made it sound like you were writing him off.

i can see that.  Look, i never saw this first round Hunter everyone spoke about.  I have only seen a kid who plays hard but is limited on defense and his shot is well, much like everyone else on this team.  He might become a great player, he might be exactly what we see now.  It is what it is.  I never had and don't have hopes he will become a first round type of player.  But could/will he become a better defender?  A better shooter?  A more integral part of the offense later this year and next, I sure as heck hope so.  But i have delusions he is ever going to elevate the level everyone said he was before the leg injury.   I judge him on what i see.  And what i see if a kid who needs more.  Just more of alot of things to put it all together.  And i hope he does  

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i can see that.  Look, i never saw this first round Hunter everyone spoke about.  I have only seen a kid who plays hard but is limited on defense and his shot is well, much like everyone else on this team.  He might become a great player, he might be exactly what we see now.  It is what it is.  I never had and don't have hopes he will become a first round type of player.  But could/will he become a better defender?  A better shooter?  A more integral part of the offense later this year and next, I sure as heck hope so.  But i have delusions he is ever going to elevate the level everyone said he was before the leg injury.   I judge him on what i see.  And what i see if a kid who needs more.  Just more of alot of things to put it all together.  And i hope he does  

Yes, he's definitely nowhere close to being an NBA player much less a 1st round draft pick. You're right that he might not get there but he still has 3 more seasons of eligibility after this one and the first two off seasons after his recovery have been short and less than ideal.

31 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, he's definitely nowhere close to being an NBA player much less a 1st round draft pick. You're right that he might not get there but he still has 3 more seasons of eligibility after this one and the first two off seasons after his recovery have been short and less than ideal.

22/ 23 YO rookies are not ideal to the nba.

He’s definitely lost some explosion and lateral quickness.  I’m not sure it’s from his injury or just a confidence thing.  When you are down on yourself it affects all aspects of your game.  As someone pointed out his lower legs aren’t strong at all but that’s because of the training staff not wanting to over due the injured portion.  

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s definitely lost some explosion and lateral quickness.  I’m not sure it’s from his injury or just a confidence thing.  When you are down on yourself it affects all aspects of your game.  As someone pointed out his lower legs aren’t strong at all but that’s because of the training staff not wanting to over due the injured portion.  

I get not wanting to overdue it but at some point he's going to need to make a personal decision. If it's life threatening I get it but if it's not then I think I'd start trying to build those muscles up a bit to give myself a chance at a professional career even if it's just a few years. I don't know the extent of the injury because I never heard anything more than speculation but I also know the IU medical staff has had a tendency to baby guys with injuries over the years from what I've heard. 

On 12/21/2020 at 7:48 AM, DC2345 said:

I get not wanting to overdue it but at some point he's going to need to make a personal decision. If it's life threatening I get it but if it's not then I think I'd start trying to build those muscles up a bit to give myself a chance at a professional career even if it's just a few years. I don't know the extent of the injury because I never heard anything more than speculation but I also know the IU medical staff has had a tendency to baby guys with injuries over the years from what I've heard. 

You nailed it on the head with IU baby guys with injuries.  I get it, but it sure seems like our guys take lots longer to get over similar injuries as do other teams players. 

Archived