2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

Leathernecks

15 hours ago, Indykev said:

Just heard on tv..$1.5. whatever it is its stupid. Its going to kill the college game within 5 years.

My interest in sports is already starting to decrease, i rarely watch the NBA anymore, it is a terrible product in my opinion and with how bad and how much control officiating has over games the NFL is starting to lose my interest. So hopefully college sports doesn't change to much, but unfortunately i think it is going to and not for the better.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know someone asked in the past if any of the OL recruits would be enrolling early. Carter Smith is the only one that will. 

Thanks. The strength and nutrition programs will be great for Carter.  With the ability to learn our techniques and offense in the spring, I wonder if he'll be able to contribute next season? Very excited to watch his progress. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thanks. The strength and nutrition programs will be great for Carter.  With the ability to learn our techniques and offense in the spring, I wonder if he'll be able to contribute next season? Very excited to watch his progress. 

Precisely.  I am hoping he is going to be like Spriggs and Feeney where he plays early and often.  He is a great athlete.  Played volleyball.  I think we need more athleticism on the line.  It will be interesting to see how much "good weight" (i.e., get stronger) he can put on.  I think Spriggs was at 260 his senior season in school and they cranked him up substantially right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Precisely.  I am hoping he is going to be like Spriggs and Feeney where he plays early and often.  He is a great athlete.  Played volleyball.  I think we need more athleticism on the line.  It will be interesting to see how much "good weight" (i.e., get stronger) he can put on.  I think Spriggs was at 260 his senior season in school and they cranked him up substantially right away.

Spriggs was exactly who I thought of when CTA described him playing on his school's volleyball team. Length, athleticism, and explosiveness. Really excited about his potential.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I hope Cooper is not hearing the McCulley might look to transfer if we sign two new QB's

Seems like there's something there but maybe a couple of days of conversations with new coaches will help. If Omar does come he has a real chance to start as a freshman with the departures. Not many places can offer that. Hopefully he decides and if competition causes DM to look elsewhere and we lose Cooper in the process....so be it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I hope Cooper is not hearing the McCulley might look to transfer if we sign two new QB's

I hope so too, but ultimately we/IU can't worry about that possibility.  It's simply going to be more prevalent now with the portal.  That freedom of movement works both ways.  And for a program like IU, I believe the benefit outweighs the detriment...especially if Coach Allen and staff can continue to recruit the portal in a positive way.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

This recruiting class is truly remarkable for anyone with a long attention span for IU football.  It is basically unprecedented.  

I get that there was criticism of Coach Allen after a 2-10 season.  But, if you are fair and not driven by an agenda, you have to give him credit for the way he closed this recruiting class.  It was simply a phenomenal job.

Player development will be critical, but he sure has some good clay to work with as Kevin Wilson used to say. 

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

This recruiting class is truly remarkable for anyone with a long attention span for IU football.  It is basically unprecedented.  

I get that there was criticism of Coach Allen after a 2-10 season.  But, if you are fair and not driven by an agenda, you have to give him credit for the way he closed this recruiting class.  It was simply a phenomenal job.

Player development will be critical, but he sure has some good clay to work with as Kevin Wilson used to say. 

The class has simply never happened to us and agree with everything you wrote. Now it's time for the staff to do the developing but it's obvious the kids, families,etc...all see IU on the rise despite our 2-10 year. Very, very relieved bunch of players, staff, and fans....or at least they should be!

• Like 2

If you look at Tom Allen's recruiting, he definitely has types that he envisions so that the parts work together.

This class fits that profile, where he added "mass" as he calls it but also team speed.

Regarding team speed, we had almost no playmaking on offense.  Look at the weapons.  Payne, Lucas, Perry.  Then two experienced backs in Shivers and Henderson.  Simmons as a transfer plus Cooper and the juco at receiver....Plus we get Matthews back.   I doubt we are done at receiver too.   We are essentially going to add double digit weapons compared to last year.

I like the TE's we got.  The new kid from Cincinnati looks like the real deal.  Can block but is an athlete.  

We addressed both lines.  On offense, we got three O linemen that all might have a chance to start eventually.  Carter Smith is a great athlete.  Bray Lynch is a near four star according to some and played at a high end football high school.  He may be advanced because of that.  DJ Moore may have some sloppiness that he will work off but in a year or two could be a nasty guard.

On the D line, he added Tevis and the two Miss guys.  These are three big boys that add beef.  Nick James is highly touted and he will have time to work in there.  We really needed help there.  At end, we added Sneed and then you have edge guys like Thomas and potentially Dasan.  let's be honest, good defensive linemen for this level are hard to find.  We added them in numbers this year.

At LB, you get a plug n play LB in Jennings.  Isaiah Jones is regularly listed as a sleeper.  Kaiden Turner seems like a leader.

The back end on D has some good additions.  Mullen at corner, probably the highest ranked corner we ever landed.  Monds has speed.  Sharpe at 6'1 and can run.  I read somewhere that if he has the hips for it, he can be a corner or otherwise might land at safety.  He has a great frame with speed.  Dunnham is well regarded as a safety.  

Looking forward to additional new players, starting at QB.  

Whew, I didn't mean to write a book but wanted to point out the combination of speed/playmaking plus big guys.  Filling gaps left and right.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1