Top 50 NBA prospects....

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-big-board-oklahoma-states-cade-cunningham-leads-first-prospect-rankings/

Thought this might get swallowed up in other threads, so started a new one. 

I am not an NBA gut at all, but I find this interesting. For the conference that is acknowledged hands down as the best in the country, the B1G only has one prospect in the top 20 of this list, and then just 3 more rated between 40-50. TJD nowhere to be found.

The whole being better than the parts? The coaching that good?

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-big-board-oklahoma-states-cade-cunningham-leads-first-prospect-rankings/

I am not an NBA gut at all, but I find this interesting. For the conference that is acknowledged hands down as the best in the country, the B1G only has one prospect in the top 20 of this list, and then just 3 more rated between 40-50. TJD nowhere to be found.

Keeping in mind this is just a cbssports thing, there are lots of guys at smaller schools, other majors, in other conferences who have pro bodies, athleticism and game, who have shown in college, long after high school rankings etc, that they have the ability and builds to play pro ball. How good a college team or conference is goes to the overall makeup of the team or conference for the most part - an elite player makes a difference but you can have a number of very good players who are not really NBA ready 

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We have had this discussion before and like or not the NBA drafts on potential and not production.  I look at this list and there are not 10!players I would want my team to draft.

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Few NBA prospects. Few NCAA championships. Coincidence? (Not a smart-ass question....really pondering it) 🤔

Honest question: As good as the B1G is this year, does anybody see one of our teams winning the title? 

I think Gonzaga will win it this year. I do think that UM and Iowa can win it all.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Gonzaga will win it this year. I do think that UM and Iowa can win it all.

I’m still waiting to see if UM can keep it up. If I had to put my money on one B1G team, it’d be them. 

Mark my words, Iowa won’t do crap. They always fall apart at the end of the season and there defense (lack of) is not built for the tournament. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have had this discussion before and like or not the NBA drafts on potential and not production.  I look at this list and there are not 10!players I would want my team to draft.

Don't most companies hire employees based on who they think can do the most for them? 

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Few NBA prospects. Few NCAA championships. Coincidence? (Not a smart-ass question....really pondering it) 🤔

Honest question: As good as the B1G is this year, does anybody see one of our teams winning the title? 

I could see Michigan winning it all and possibly Iowa if everything went their way.  Gonzaga is always given the easiest path to a championship and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they would be given preferential treatment to get Few a championship. 

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Don't most companies hire employees based on who they think can do the most for them? 

You’re correct, and I believe @IU Scott over looks this grey area. Teams don’t draft on potential vs. production. These are factors, not an ‘either or’. Teams want players who will do the most for them in the long run, whether that comes in the form of wins or in trade value. 

Look at Patrick Williams. Entered the draft at 19 and was the sixth man at FSU last year. Bulls fans (including me) were livid about this choice. Now look at him...he’s one of the best rookies in the NBA. Good thing the bulls saw his potential. Sometimes these GM and coaches know what they are doing.

51 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Trayce is 6'8" and can't shoot.  It's not surprising that he's on no one's draft board.

Yep...he's a 6'8" post player.  His skill set, from what I have seen, really doesn't translate to today's NBA.  But maybe he's got skills he's not showing, I dunno.  

I don’t know where/if he’ll be drafted, but I firmly believe that Trayce will see some time in the NBA at a minimum. He’s athletic, a good/quick jumper and has really good timing for blocking shots. 

Juwan gets minutes In the NBA. And I think Trayce currently has more tools that translate to the NBA than Juwan ever had in college. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Trayce is 6'8" and can't shoot.  It's not surprising that he's on no one's draft board.

6'9 -- He absolutely needs to show outside shooting. He has, however, looked good in some of the few shots he's taken (mid-range). I don't think it's the case that he "can't shoot." It's not part of our offense under CAM, at least as of yet.

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t know where/if he’ll be drafted, but I firmly believe that Trayce will see some time in the NBA at a minimum. He’s athletic, a good/quick jumper and has really good timing for blocking shots. 

Juwan gets minutes In the NBA. And I think Trayce currently has more tools that translate to the NBA than Juwan ever had in college. 

TJD will be in the NBA, imo. He can be a first-round pick, but he has to develop/show a jumper, he has to turn over both shoulders and shoot with his off-hand, and he has to show better consistent hustle getting back on D -- the first two of these are what the scouts are really watching for though.

Archived