FWIW.... Hey Tom Crean

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Sill trying to figure out why Notre Dame is in the ACC and not the B1G. 

I think the main problem was ND didn't want to be in B1G in football, and the B1G didn't want them unless ND joined in football.  ND has been in BE and ACC, but they never joined either for football.

24 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think the main problem was ND didn't want to be in B1G in football, and the B1G didn't want them unless ND joined in football.  ND has been in BE and ACC, but they never joined either for football.

I think you are correct.  To an extent.  ND wanted to protect certain games.  Yet, this past year, they played four ACC teams in football.  Think how great it would be if the B1G would have allowed ND in, and the teams playing ND would be Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Nebraska, or Penn State  on an annual basis. 

ND has a sweet deal with NBC for football. Why share revenue with a bunch of other schools when they can keep everything themselves? 

Personally, I think that they are being shortsighted, but I never met a ND alum who didn't have a healthy dose of arrogance in their makeup 

35 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

ND has a sweet deal with NBC for football. Why share revenue with a bunch of other schools when they can keep everything themselves? 

Personally, I think that they are being shortsighted, but I never met a ND alum who didn't have a healthy dose of arrogance in their makeup 

Ahh yes.  I forgot about the NBC deal.  That was in play as well. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I think you are correct.  To an extent.  ND wanted to protect certain games.  Yet, this past year, they played four ACC teams in football.  Think how great it would be if the B1G would have allowed ND in, and the teams playing ND would be Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Nebraska, or Penn State  on an annual basis. 

Yeah, they want to protect their ability to schedule teams ranked in the bottom halves of their respective conferences to pad their record and keep those TV deals. I’m fine with it though; I’ve made a decent amount betting against them when they have to play real teams. That program lands some of the top talent every year and plays a softer schedule than we do.

Sorry, I just can’t stand Notre Dame or the people who wear blue/gold in the fall and cream/crimson in the winter.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

Yeah, they want to protect their ability to schedule teams ranked in the bottom halves of their respective conferences to pad their record and keep those TV deals. I’m fine with it though; I’ve made a decent amount betting against them when they have to play real teams. That program lands some of the top talent every year and plays a softer schedule than we do.

Sorry, I just can’t stand Notre Dame or the people who wear blue/gold in the fall and cream/crimson in the winter.

1. Why do you care who people root for? Out of curiosity, what is the fun in following IU football, knowing theyll finish 6-6 about every year, never sniff a good bowl game (which is code for consolation game) and never sniff a conference championship. I’ve really never understood the fan hood police idea where one has to justify and pass someone else’s test to be a fan of a team. 

2. What kind of teams did IU put on their schedule? They chose cupcakes. Yes, they have a difficult conference schedule. Part of that is because they aren’t a better program than any of those they play. Notre Dame is forced to play a certain number of ACC games. Outside of those, they played Georgia, USC, Stanford, Michigan State. 

That said, in comparison to IUbb, NDfb hardly exists in my mind  

57 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

1. Why do you care who people root for? Out of curiosity, what is the fun in following IU football, knowing theyll finish 6-6 about every year, never sniff a good bowl game (which is code for consolation game) and never sniff a conference championship. I’ve really never understood the fan hood police idea where one has to justify and pass someone else’s test to be a fan of a team. 

2. What kind of teams did IU put on their schedule? They chose cupcakes. Yes, they have a difficult conference schedule. Part of that is because they aren’t a better program than any of those they play. Notre Dame is forced to play a certain number of ACC games. Outside of those, they played Georgia, USC, Stanford, Michigan State. 

I follow IU football because IU is my alma mater. I don’t care if they go winless every year; IU is my team. I just got tired of walking around campus and seeing IU students wearing ND gear and cheering for another school’s team. Maybe if they showed some pride in their school and supported the program (instead of a school that repeatedly snubs our conference), the staff would have something to pitch to recruits. Hate to use a Purdue term, but I’m just not a fan of the reversible jacket.

And you’re right, they schedule ACC and Big East teams (the weakest of the power conferences). There are really only four consistently decent programs between the two conferences and ND scheduled 1 of them; the one that wasn’t expected to be all that good this year. And they lost that game in embarrassing fashion.  Stanford (loss) and USC are rivalry games that they can’t avoid and typically lose, Georgia was a loss, and MSU hasn’t been much to speak of up until a few years ago (and wasn’t all that good this year). Point being, they use their independent status to load up on teams like Army, Navy, BC, Cuse, Temple, Wake, UNC, NCSU, etc... But if you really scrutinize their scheduling and their wins/losses, their national ranking is usually smoke and mirrors.

On a positive note, they’re probably the easiest college team to make money off of if you’re into sports betting. You can always count on them being overrated.

You're hatred of ND is completely understandable, but you're not really using any facts to back up your terrible hot takes on their scheduling. You do realize they don't have to play Big East teams anymore and are forced to play a rotation of ACC schools, which is a very good conference by the way.  Also, ND has played the service academies for decades, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about them playing Army or Navy.  I think it's a cool tradition for the soldiers/sailors to get a shot at ND.

Also if you want to bring more facts into this Norte Dame's SOS going back 7 years has been ranked 8th, 28th, 8th, 32nd, 30th, 7th, and 13th nationally at the end of the season.  Not the hardest, but far from the image you've been trying to paint Bigred.  

7 hours ago, cohete15 said:

You root for the name on the front of the jersey and in college sports I don't understand how you can root for IU in one sport and not any others.  I don't care what their record is I will always root for anyone who has IU on the front of their jersey.

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You root for the name on the front of the jersey and in college sports I don't understand how you can root for IU in one sport and not any others.  I don't care what their record is I will always root for anyone who has IU on the front of their jersey.

It’s actually quite easy. I didn’t see indiana football on TV as a kid. You know who was on? ND, Michigan, Ohio St. I did see Indiana basketball on TV, plus my family watched them religiously. None were grads by the way. As a kid i liked Michigan football and IU basketball. Am I supposed to be a fair weather fan and change my team bc people might not like that I pull for different schools in different sports? Again, I’m not an alumn, but the Indiana athletic department has taken my money without any problem for it for years. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It’s actually quite easy. I didn’t see indiana football on TV as a kid. You know who was on? ND, Michigan, Ohio St. I did see Indiana basketball on TV, plus my family watched them religiously. None were grads by the way. As a kid i liked Michigan football and IU basketball. Am I supposed to be a fair weather fan and change my team bc people might not like that I pull for different schools in different sports? Again, I’m not an alumn, but the Indiana athletic department has taken my money without any problem for it for years. 

Amen.  To me there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever.  I am and always will be an IU fan in every sport.  But I root for ND and Tennessee in every sport as well.  I am a Cincinnati Reds fan, but I follow the Cubs closely.  I am a Colts fan, but I follow the Bears closely.  Fandom just doesn't have to be relegated to one team or one sport.

I agree that’s it’s strange when people try to judge someone else’s thoughts, opinions, who they root for, etc.  

I root for IU football.  I’m an IU guy and my credentials are in tact as I’m active on the football board.  I also like Michigan because my wife went there and I do like the Harbaugh brothers to boot.  I have liked the U over the years because I enjoyed their brash, to put it mildly, style and liked their speed and aggressiveness.  As for IU, my expectations are different.  In basketball, I’d like us to be a high end, competitive program and I grew up around it.  In football, I’d like to see us get on the rise, and make progress.  You might say, “what’s the point” but I enjoy seeing how we put things together in trying to get to the next step.

I don’t know how to articulate this well.  I grew up in Indiana and what all that means with basketball.  I’m out of state and busy knock on wood with family, job etc.  But watching IU gives me a warm feeling of “home” and that feels good.  It gives me an extra strong feeling for Indiana and IU.  

5 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

You're hatred of ND is completely understandable, but you're not really using any facts to back up your terrible hot takes on their scheduling. You do realize they don't have to play Big East teams anymore and are forced to play a rotation of ACC schools, which is a very good conference by the way.  Also, ND has played the service academies for decades, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about them playing Army or Navy.  I think it's a cool tradition for the soldiers/sailors to get a shot at ND.

Also if you want to bring more facts into this Norte Dame's SOS going back 7 years has been ranked 8th, 28th, 8th, 32nd, 30th, 7th, and 13th nationally at the end of the season.  Not the hardest, but far from the image you've been trying to paint Bigred.  

I used the Big East example because I’m not just talking about 1 year of scheduling. And we’ll have to agree to disagree about the ACC being a good conference. They have Clemson, Miami, VT, FSU, and 10 bottom feeders that have an occasional good year. And of that 4, VT is the only program that’s been consistently good over the last 15 years.

My point in bringing up the service academies is the same as the rest I listed; they just aren’t very good. I don’t care that ND plays them, but ND could join a conference and still schedule them.

To me, ND’s season is like Duke basketball during the tournament. They have an abundance of talent and still get the easiest road to a championship because they’re one of the NCAA’s big earners.

53 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I used the Big East example because I’m not just talking about 1 year of scheduling. And we’ll have to agree to disagree about the ACC being a good conference. They have Clemson, Miami, VT, FSU, and 10 bottom feeders that have an occasional good year. And of that 4, VT is the only program that’s been consistently good over the last 15 years.

My point in bringing up the service academies is the same as the rest I listed; they just aren’t very good. I don’t care that ND plays them, but ND could join a conference and still schedule them.

To me, ND’s season is like Duke basketball during the tournament. They have an abundance of talent and still get the easiest road to a championship because they’re one of the NCAA’s big earners.

To be honest, you make no sense at all especially concerning the ACC.  Clemson, Miami, FSU, and VaTech are very comparable to the B1G.  And by my count the ACC is sending 11 teams to bowls this year.

As far as the Irish scheduling the service academies, tradition man.  

Psssttt.... I'm one of those people you speak of Bigred. I'll be sure not to sit by you at games.

As stated earlier by another poster here, watching college FB on TV waaayy back when, it was ND you watched. I go all the way back when Ara was coach. And I do follow IU FB as well. Matter of fact I remember the John Pont years and the Rose Bowl team. But man it's been dismal for many years. I'd love to see the FB program be relevant sometime and they have been good enough to be invited to play in bowl games recently. With CTA, the future looks bright.

4 hours ago, Feathery said:

100%

9 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

And yet, Army just won their bowl game to finish 10-3 and Navy plays in a bowl. Meanwhile, we are sitting at home.

10 hours ago, rico said:

To be honest, you make no sense at all especially concerning the ACC.  Clemson, Miami, FSU, and VaTech are very comparable to the B1G.  And by my count the ACC is sending 11 teams to bowls this year.

As far as the Irish scheduling the service academies, tradition man.  

When virtually the entire conference sucks, it’s not all that difficult to come up with 6 wins...

Clemson and FSU have seen a resurgence over the past couple seasons, VT has been solid, and Miami has been pretty much irrelevant since the championship game against OSU up until this year... Aside from that, not much to speak of.

Archived