Are we too clean and sanctimonious to win in today's game?

14 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't know if we're "too clean" but I get the sense of being a bit too sanctimonious. As a fanbase, we spend an inordinate amount of time looking back, rather than pushing forward. Yes, we have the history and that's great. However there needs to be an openness to new directions and an evolution of Indiana's identity. 

I'm not saying knock what the foundation is/was, but expand and embrace change for the future; hell, be a tastemaker and dictate what the future looks like. 

(We're seeing it with the football program.)

I read a story in the Star today from Zach Osterman and yes it was from the actual newspaper.  I have tried to find it online so I could post it on here.  It was not just about needing to make a coaching change but how IU needs to embrace 2021 basketball culture.  I talked about the game day experience in AH and how they need to change what the band plays and become more modern in everything.  He did say he thought IU has done a good job with remodeling AH and the locker room but it needs to do more.  Also talked about how we as fans needs to look to the future and not look at the past.

It also seems that we are too 'nice' and are completely obsessed with what people think of us. 

We need to stop acting like the rest of the Big Ten are our friends. They aren't. They want to see us fail and their own programs succeed.

So screw them. Stop playing nice and looking for their approval and apologizing. Stop having Knight PTSD and over amplifying optics.

Hire a badass coach who will kick ass and take names. People like WINNERS. Not nice losers.

4 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

It also seems that we are too 'nice' and are completely obsessed with what people think of us. 

We need to stop acting like the rest of the Big Ten are our friends. They aren't. They want to see us fail and their own programs succeed.

So screw them. Stop playing nice and looking for their approval and apologizing. Stop having Knight PTSD and over amplifying optics.

Hire a badass coach who will kick ass and take names. People like WINNERS. Not nice losers.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He’s got some good points.  

I have done an about face on in state recruiting.  I used to have a mindset that Indiana kids get good coaching and understand the B1G and rivalries such as with Purdue.  They’d be close to home which takes homesickness out of the equation.

Where I am now is I think it’s important but we need the right kids regardless of where they are from. We missed on Aaron Henry, Zak Irvin, Gary Harris and if you go back further Luke Harangody and others.  But we also wasted opportunity cost and whiffed badly on commits such as Jeremy Hollowell, Ron Patterson, Damezi Anderson, Devin Davis and more recent guys.  In sum, in many cases we’ve prioritized very poorly.

We did well with Cody and Yogi in state (and Armaan plus TJD recently) but we also killed it with Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey out of state.

If you were a scientist and assessing the data points, I don’t know if you can find a signal from all that noise.  Where that leaves me is to pick the right Indiana kids but be very selective.  And by that I mean be more selective than we have been.  We need to pick up our connections elsewhere.  With the way AAU gives you access to any kid from anywhere, get the kid who fits what the coach wants.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s got some good points.  

I have done an about face on in state recruiting.  I used to have a mindset that Indiana kids get good coaching and understand the B1G and rivalries such as with Purdue.  They’d be close to home which takes homesickness out of the equation.

Where I am now is I think it’s important but we need the right kids regardless of where they are from. We missed on Aaron Henry, Zak Irvin, Gary Harris and if you go back further Luke Harangody and others.  But we also wasted opportunity cost and whiffed badly on commits such as Jeremy Hollowell, Ron Patterson, Damezi Anderson, Devin Davis and more recent guys.  In sum, in many cases we’ve prioritized very poorly.

We did well with Cody and Yogi in state (and Armaan plus TJD recently) but we also killed it with Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey out of state.

If you were a scientist and assessing the data points, I don’t know if you can find a signal from all that noise.  Where that leaves me is to pick the right Indiana kids but be very selective.  And by that I mean be more selective than we have been.  We need to pick up our connections elsewhere.  With the way AAU gives you access to any kid from anywhere, get the kid who fits what the coach wants.  

I would have agreed with you about Indiana kids getting a lot better coaching in high school 15 years ago.  The more of the old time coaches leaves and bring in the younger new generation coaches they are getting the same coaching that other states are getting.  Also with AAU basketball some kids are not taught the right way to play and it kills anything that the HS coach teaches them.

3 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

It’s sort of the home run record/ per argument....if every other school is cheating and getting away with it...and I mean publicly the past few years.....are there really any rules? Is there a trophy for being the most righteous program? No....so we can circle j*** with each other for another decade while everybody else watches.....I’m leaning on getting us on to the playing field everyone else is utilizing...

Fixed it for ya...

After the North Carolina and their academics scandal I have a different opinion of what IU should do after  What IU DID TO THEM SELVES ( NOT THE NCAA) with phone calls!!! IU'S fault at the time was the coach IU hired!!! If the AD and THE TRUSTEE'S or who ever in power want to make or let IU RELEVANT AGIAN PLAY BY THE RULES everyone else are playing by. If not we will sit each March and ( me not ) watch THE NCAA TOURNMENT I am as stated several times my age. Getting to old to think if IU doesn't want to win I will join some of  THIS BOARDS BEST  and never live to see BANNER 6! 

Archived