Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Look, Woodson isn't going anywhere(we all know that) no matter what happens unless he retires, which he isnt going to do getting $4.2 for not much effort. Dolson and Buckner(who isnt at games)is not going to pull the plug and say they were wrong. Lets hope we win every remaining game, next year, after we turnover 6 or 8 guys, lets hope the portal is good to us and next year is great. Go IU!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Look, Woodson isn't going anywhere(we all know that) no matter what happens unless he retires, which he isnt going to do getting $4.2 for not much effort. Dolson and Buckner(who isnt at games)is not going to pull the plug and say they were wrong. Lets hope we win every remaining game, next year, after we turnover 6 or 8 guys, lets hope the portal is good to us and next year is great. Go IU!!

That’s a lot of hope….i think we are all running out of hope…I think we would like to have some certainty…certainty we have the right guy…will win games and bring in good players. I want my worries to be week 1 upsets in the tournament not if we even get in. Guess I’m just burnt out on the same ol song and dance. I think Woody was always going to have a tough year this year losing a lottery guard and program defining player like Trayce….lots of leadership gone…but man it worries me that we have a lot of the same issues previous coaches had, worries me a coach with this much experience is still trying to learn how to coach college basketball with the hockey line changes and the lack of importance on the 3pt line (defendjng and shooting). Like someone said…Woody is a finished product…issues in year 1 adjusting I get….hiccups in year 2 sure….year 3 and he still doesn’t seem to have the answers…at this rate will he be in his 70s before he figures it out? You can live with young coaches learning on the job…its tough waiting on someone that likely has only a few more years of coaching left.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

If you wanna vomit, here’s a list of coaches apparently getting paid less than Woody:

Eric Mussleman, Nate Oats, Scott Drew, Tommy Lloyd, Greg Gard, Matt Painter, Kelvin Sampson, Mark Few, Shaka Smart, Rick Pitino, TJ Otzelberger, Jerome Tang, Porter Moser, Jim Larranaga, Leonard Hamilton, Greg McDermott, Dana Altman. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

That’s a lot of hope….i think we are all running out of hope…I think we would like to have some certainty…certainty we have the right guy…will win games and bring in good players. I want my worries to be week 1 upsets in the tournament not if we even get in. Guess I’m just burnt out on the same ol song and dance. I think Woody was always going to have a tough year this year losing a lottery guard and program defining player like Trayce….lots of leadership gone…but man it worries me that we have a lot of the same issues previous coaches had, worries me a coach with this much experience is still trying to learn how to coach college basketball with the hockey line changes and the lack of importance on the 3pt line (defendjng and shooting). Like someone said…Woody is a finished product…issues in year 1 adjusting I get….hiccups in year 2 sure….year 3 and he still doesn’t seem to have the answers…at this rate will he be in his 70s before he figures it out? You can live with young coaches learning on the job…its tough waiting on someone that likely has only a few more years of coaching left.

All we have left as IU fans is hope. I said before the season started 15-18 wins. If I being as dumb as i am, could see it coming, why didn't a guy making $4.2 million and an AD i'm guessing making more, couldnt.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Indykev said:

All we have left as IU fans is hope. I said before the season started 15-18 wins. If I being as dumb as i am, could see it coming, why didn't a guy making $4.2 million and an AD i'm guessing making more, couldnt.

image.gif.dd984b73486d4f73ab7272bee5cb91d3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

If you wanna vomit, here’s a list of coaches apparently getting paid less than Woody:

Eric Mussleman, Nate Oats, Scott Drew, Tommy Lloyd, Greg Gard, Matt Painter, Kelvin Sampson, Mark Few, Shaka Smart, Rick Pitino, TJ Otzelberger, Jerome Tang, Porter Moser, Jim Larranaga, Leonard Hamilton, Greg McDermott, Dana Altman. 

Sampson and Oats make 4.5. Mussleman makes 4.2.

Not sure why someone's salary would make me vomit. It ain't my money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sampson and Oats make 4.5. Mussleman makes 4.2.

Not sure why someone's salary would make me vomit. It ain't my money. 

Sorry, I guess some some of these sites don’t update the numbers then. I definitely saw 4.1 or 4 for Muss. Regardless, 4.2 million still gets him within or near top 10 highest salaries. We’re not getting those types of results. The rest of those coaches are at least winning conference title(s) or going to the second weekend in March. 

It may not be your $ but it makes it easier for a booster to say “I’ll pass” on giving up their money for the next coach/buyout when they don’t have confidence Dolson can properly manage funds and make accurate evaluations. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Sorry, I guess some some of these sites don’t update the numbers then. I definitely saw 4.1 or 4 for Muss. Regardless, 4.2 million still gets him within or near top 10 highest salaries. We’re not getting those types of results. The rest of those coaches are at least winning conference title(s) or going to the second weekend in March. 

It may not be your $ but it makes it easier for a booster to say “I’ll pass” on giving up their money for the next coach/buyout when they don’t have confidence Dolson can properly manage funds and make accurate evaluations. 

who do you think makes those calls? Boosters are the reason for early terminations, and do you think Dolson made CMW hire without any backing from any booster?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

who do you think makes those calls? Boosters are the reason for early terminations, and do you think Dolson made CMW hire without any backing from any booster?

If I understand an athletic directors role correctly, it’s Dolsons ultimate decision where that money goes.

I would have been urging caution with throwing all that $ at Woody because the next future coach and their agent will now be asking for that and more because they’ll argue they’ve accomplished far more than Woody and have far more collegiate coaching experience. Getting that “home run hire” now becomes more difficult than it already is…

I would have told the people donating $ that let’s use a portion of that money towards Woody (like a 100-150k bonus) to show support and confidence. But getting toasted in the round of 32 and 64 the year before shows how far we have to go, and our buck as a result, should go towards the collective good instead of an individual already being compensated appropriately for his accomplishments.

Use that remaining $ towards NIL, upgrading equipment/facilities, etc. Then when we’re at a stable place and actually a contender with a proven concept, feel free to throw a top 10-15 salary Woodson’s way. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

If I understand an athletic directors role correctly, it’s Dolsons ultimate decision where that money goes.

I would have been urging caution with throwing all that $ at Woody because the next future coach and their agent will now be asking for that and more because they’ll argue they’ve accomplished far more than Woody and have far more collegiate coaching experience. Getting that “home run hire” now becomes more difficult than it already is…

I would have told the people donating $ that let’s use a portion of that money towards Woody (like a 100-150k bonus) to show support and confidence. But getting toasted in the round of 32 and 64 the year before shows how far we have to go, and our buck as a result, should go towards the collective good instead of an individual already being compensated appropriately for his accomplishments.

Use that remaining $ towards NIL, upgrading equipment/facilities, etc. Then when we’re at a stable place and actually a contender with a proven concept, feel free to throw a top 10-15 salary Woodson’s way. 

fair enough, but 2 counter points.

1) in that circumstance, a booster is not giving money to IU without a directive of where is goes. There are general funds, but not for what we are talking about. 

2) I dont know if that plays into it as much as you are portraying. Nonetheless. If the next coach comes in and wins, who cares he is making $10M with bonuses. I dont think IU is scared to pay that for the right winning coach.

• Like 2

So I thought maybe a good look back at the last 5 coaches that won the NCAA Tournament might provide a little context...All citations are from their tenure at their present school...

Danny Hurley

First regular season Conference Championship: Never

First Final 4: 5th Year

First NC: 5th Year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: Missing the tournament his first 2 years and getting ousted in the first round his 3rd year

Bill Self

First regular season Conference Championship: 4th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: Would still be around

Scott Drew

First regular season Conference Championship: 18th year

First Final 4: 18th Year

First NC: 18th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 5th year after missing the tournament his first 4 years, and getting ousted in the first round his 5th

Tony Bennett

First regular season Conference Championship: 5th year

First Final 4: 10th Year

First NC: 10th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 4th year after missing the tournament his first 2 years, getting ousted in the 2nd round his 3rd year, and once again missing the tournament in his 4th year

Jay Wright

First Final 4: 8th Year

First NC: 14th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 3rd year after not making the NCAA Tournament for the 3rd time

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I thought maybe a good look back at the last 5 coaches that won the NCAA Tournament might provide a little context...All citations are from their tenure at their present school...

Danny Hurley

First regular season Conference Championship: Never

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: Missing the tournament his first 2 years and getting ousted in the first round his 3rd year

Bill Self

First regular season Conference Championship: 4th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: Would still be around

Scott Drew

First regular season Conference Championship: 18th year

First Final 4: 18th Year

First NC: 18th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 5th year after missing the tournament his first 4 years, and getting ousted in the first round his 5th

Tony Bennett

First Final 4: 10th Year

First NC: 10th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 4th year after missing the tournament his first 2 years, getting ousted in the 2nd round his 3rd year, and once again missing the tournament in his 4th year

Jay Wright

First Final 4: 8th Year

First NC: 14th year

If he'd have been coaching Indiana he probably would have been fired after: His 3rd year after not making the NCAA Tournament for the 3rd time

Woody is 65 years old. 2 and a half years of college coaching experience. Woodson doesn't have time to miss.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know enough about any of those teams to know what they looked like and what kinds of information they provided about the coach in question. But, I would wager they didn't have an NBA bound 7-footer, above average size at positions 2-5, and really 1-5 when X is healthy, and still be near the bottom of their conference in rebounding. That's where Woody really lost me. We were on low range of mediocre rebounding the ball last year and we're bad this year. Our personnel has been flawed in many ways, but it should excel at rebounding and it hasn't. I'm in the camp that would definitely get a new coach if we can have a top guy lined up and I'm okay either way if we don't. But, I really value rebounding and I don't understand why they guys we have had these last three years haven't been good at it.

I think you also have to consider that in the days gone by, it's a long process to upgrade a roster. Now, it's much much faster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't know enough about any of those teams to know what they looked like and what kinds of information they provided about the coach in question. But, I would wager they didn't have an NBA bound 7-footer, above average size at positions 2-5, and really 1-5 when X is healthy, and still be near the bottom of their conference in rebounding. That's where Woody really lost me. We were on low range of mediocre rebounding the ball last year and we're bad this year. Our personnel has been flawed in many ways, but it should excel at rebounding and it hasn't. I'm in the camp that would definitely get a new coach if we can have a top guy lined up and I'm okay either way if we don't. But, I really value rebounding and I don't understand why they guys we have had these last three years haven't been good at it.

I think you also have to consider that in the days gone by, it's a long process to upgrade a roster. Now, it's much much faster.

X isn't and hasn't been healthy, and our most popular starting lineup is 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and a senior...

Experience counts...