Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Well, that one answers my question in regards to why IU steered clear for the last 3 searches. The Deon Thomas story is wild....I always knew IL fans hated him, but didn't know the details. 

Jud Heathcote when asked what impressed him the most about Illinois, "the players' parking lot"

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

This is how bad things are.  $2 good seats.  Smh.

I guess I should've posted this is the all things positive thread.  Mike Woodson making IU basketball cheap again.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Screenshot_20240227_101928_Chrome.jpg

Well, if there's one way the fans can steer the decision to fire Woody, it's to not attend games. An empty assembly hall for a pre-season game is embarrassing, let alone a conference game. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That or the terrible missed double dribble. 

Can't remember that, but I believe you. 

Auburn was ROLLING when Okeke went down. They had demolished Top 5 Tennessee in the SEC championship game, beat KU, thumped UNC (who was a tourney favorite), and beat UK. In a 5 game span-- Auburn had beaten Tennessee, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky. 

And then UVA beats them by 1 in the F4. 

UT, KU, UNC, and UK in literally a 2-week time frame.... 

I would argue he's exhausted his capability at AU.. he's built a consistent Top 15-20 program there. I think that is the ceiling of their ability. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can't remember that, but I believe you. 

Auburn was ROLLING when Okeke went down. They had demolished Top 5 Tennessee in the SEC championship game, beat KU, thumped UNC (who was a tourney favorite), and beat UK. In a 5 game span-- Auburn had beaten Tennessee, Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky. 

And then UVA beats them by 1 in the F4. 

UT, KU, UNC, and UK in literally a 2-week time frame.... 

I would argue he's exhausted his capability at AU.. he's built a consistent Top 15-20 program there. I think that is the ceiling of their ability. 

If Florida can win a title so can Auburn.

I'll preface this by I'm not sure what to personally think about Pearl's past. My opinion on the issue is not relevant.

But, If there's one thing that we know: it's the desire for IU (especially the basketball program) to hold an ethical high ground. Virtually every decision they made in the past 25 years has been navigated through the path of the least ethical resistance. (except for Sampson, which they go burned for and as a result are even more hesitant to dabble in these waters).

If history is an indicator of future decisions at all.....I just don't think the powers that be think Pearl is a good fit at IU. I don't think they make that move. I also appreciate the inside info, but these rumors are coming from the same sources that got it wrong last time.

I honestly think this is all wish-casting projected as inside info. 

Edited by tdhoosier

14 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i wouldn't bet on not losing out.  which game do you point to as a win?  would you agree he should be let go if we do that?

you cant point to any as a win but you can feel it but not understand it. i feel we'll win tonight. I dont understand why or how.....well how is we'll score more points. That is all.

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think for most of us, it’s not just about him having one bad year. It’s the declining metrics in every single category that have taken place since day 1, and the refusal to play modern day basketball. The question has become (for a lot of us), will any of that magically change in year 4? If not, is it really a good business decision to keep him? 

I don’t think it’s so much a refusal to play modern day basketball as it is was we missed on guys like Knecht and Timberlake, and the decision was made to go with X, Cupps and Galloway, with the hope that Gunn and Banks would make a sophomore leap, and be threats from the outside. We all know how that turned out, so we were left with the same old let’s go down low to Reneau and Ware. Now is that on Woodson - yes, but is it correctable - yes. So I say, let’s see how next season plays out. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I don’t think it’s so much a refusal to play modern day basketball as it is was we missed on guys like Knecht and Timberlake, and the decision was made to go with X, Cupps and Galloway, with the hope that Gunn and Banks would make a sophomore leap, and be threats from the outside. We all know how that turned out, so we were left with the same old let’s go down low to Reneau and Ware. Now is that on Woodson - yes, but is it correctable - yes. So I say, let’s see how next season plays out. 

With Woodson firmly on the hot seat, it's going to be even harder for him to recruit.  If he couldn't bring in guards last year with a much cooler seat and fresh off sending JHS to the NBA, then what makes you think he can this year?

Even if he magically fills up our guard rotation, he still has wacky rotations and a refusal to let assistants do their job.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The response to that though is that we’ve played that style three years in a row. It’s not just missing last offseason and having to adjust to this year’s roster. It’s been every year. Two first round draft picks and a veteran team last year masked the issues we see this year IMO. But even then, we got smashed in the second round. Needed a miracle run late in year one to make the tournament before getting smashed in the first round. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I think it's at best an over-simplification, if not flat out wrong, to say we play the way we play because of roster limitations and misses in recruiting.

Even despite those limitations and misses, this team is not playing in the most optimized way from a schematic standpoint. Why do we think Woodson is going to suddenly play a better scheme when the reason he isn't doing it this year isn't because of roster limitations. 

The only thing that would slow Pearl down on accepting the IU job is not seem so eager that he would do for less money. The guy would move heaven and Earth to become the head coach at Indiana.  Since most if not all of the grey area has been removed in college basketball i would take Pearl in a heartbeat. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

The only thing that would slow Pearl down on accepting the IU job is not seem so eager that he would do for less money. The guy would move heaven and Earth to become the head coach at Indiana.  Since most if not all of the grey area has been removed in college basketball i would take Pearl in a heartbeat. 

he isnt coming for less than $6 million.