Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I appreciate you holding your ground on what you believe, but can i ask why 3 years of the same thing is any different than 4 years of the same thing, even if we win more games next year with the same scheme?  Just curious.  I honestly have zero opinion anymore on IU basketball.  Just don't care enough to invest my energy in one way or the other.  But i am always interested in why people go against the stream of the majority.  Again, not saying you're wrong or anything.  Just interested

As a fan I go back to the 71-72 season, and have to admit Woodson was one of my favorite players, but  I don’t think that clouds my opinion of him as a coach. I just believe he’s capable of changing the style of play (scheme) with the right roster. As I said, we struck and missed on some game changers this off season, and he rolled the dice and decided to go with the backcourt we had and that was a mistake, so that’s on him. I think he gets one more year to prove everyone wrong. The danger is with all the talk about a coaching change, we may have such a mass exodus at the end of the season that the portal won’t provide enough relief next year….so we’ll see.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Todd Leary is really saying that he wants to keep Mike Woodson and he's still learning the ins and outs of college basketball and substitutions and stuff. Lol. Are these guys being paid by IU?

I loved watching Todd Leary and what he brought to the game.....but unfortunately the ship has probably sailed.

31 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Even if Woodson were still safe for year 4 at this present time, the season isn't over. Hes still in the graveyard with a shovel in his hands.

At this point the shovel may be his mouth. The things he says are indefensible. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

As a fan I go back to the 71-72 season, and have to admit Woodson was one of my favorite players, but  I don’t think that clouds my opinion of him as a coach. I just believe he’s capable of changing the style of play (scheme) with the right roster. As I said, we struck and missed on some game changers this off season, and he rolled the dice and decided to go with the backcourt we had and that was a mistake, so that’s on him. I think he gets one more year to prove everyone wrong. The danger is with all the talk about a coaching change, we may have a such mass exodus at the end of the season that the portal won’t provide enough relief next year….so we’ll see.

I'm curious what makes you think he is capable of wanting to change?

Does the quote about ignoring analytics saying we are better playing 4 around 1 and him clapping back about playing two bigs concern you?

What about the fact that he forced the Knicks to play bigger after having a good season and it got him fired, does that concern you about his intentions? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Mark Turgeon.  Left Texas A&M for Maryland.  Maryland was still in the ACC at the time, but I believe the move to the B10 had been announced.  It was right around that time, I know.  Early 2010s. 

Tubby Smith we won't count considering he was "encouraged" out of UK.

On the flip side, the only significant voluntary departure I could think of to another major conference was Self leaving UI for Kansas.

Tubby left Georgia for UK

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't really buy into these rumors, but with that said I think Bruce Pearl is probably gettable and would be a home run hire, though don't love his age. 

The hard part of all of this, and I'm not trying to start a debate on this, but I also think Chris Beard could maybe be gettable, and I think he'd be a grand slam hire. The problem of course is his recent legal troubles. 

It just stinks because I think Beard would check most every other box. He's even better than Pearl and younger. Also brings some of the Bob Knight connection, etc.  

If he didn't have the legal issues, he'd be a grand slam hire. Though without the legal issues he probably wouldn't be gettable. 

This is exactly my view.  Those two are, IMO, the only "home run hires" currently being discussed.  Heck, from a coaching standpoint, they may be better than Stevens, who hasn't coached/recruited at the collegiate level for several years.

I haven't heard anyone complaing about Cigs age and both programs need the same thing - a savior to rebuid them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson has a plan. We just need to be patient because there won’t be real news coming out daily over the next couple weeks and there will be plenty of rumors.

I’m comfortable with Dolson. I liked his hire of CCC.  I liked his reasoning in terms of getting a guy who understood QBs and that his success is translatable.  CCC shows insight into winning and that reflects on Dolson’s thought process.  He didn’t just hire an IU guy.   I liked that he pursued him hard.  

I suspect he was saddled with Woody and he tried to make it work by bringing in Matta and Fife.  

I did not like his predecessor and I don’t think I was wrong about that, but I’m sure others will disagree with me.  The difference between Dolson and his predecessor is Dolson has actual insight into sports and what the necessary components for winning are.  But that’s water under the bridge right now and I think Dolson has a good thought process.  Of course, none of us truly know the inner workings of everything going on but those are my impressions.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

I know this would never work out this way in a million years, but if there is going to be a change, I wish everything could be worked out so that the announcement could be made about his retirement prior to the MSU game.  That way he could be given a nice thank you from the fans for his years as a player and the good times from his years as coach.  It would be like another senior day for him in a sense.   I'm afraid otherwise his potential last game in SSAH could have some ugly moments, and  I would really hate that for him and for our fan base.  

• Like 5