Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

51 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

This is exactly my view.  Those two are, IMO, the only "home run hires" currently being discussed.  Heck, from a coaching standpoint, they may be better than Stevens, who hasn't coached/recruited at the collegiate level for several years.

I haven't heard anyone complaing about Cigs age and both programs need the same thing - a savior to rebuid them.

For years we wanted basketball and football to be in the same boat.... 

Guess we are finally thereO.o

Edited by iuswingman
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

lol.

Just randomly picked this from the 1/9 Rutgers post game. Could have picked any loss, probably. You know, it's starting to get embarrassing and I hate that. Woody was an IU legend and I truly believe he thought he could turn this program around.

Q: "From game to game, obviously especially home and road, what can you do to kind of develop more consistency and be more consistent performances from game to game from your guys?''

WOODSON: "Work. Continue to work. That's all you can do. You've got to continue to work. So we'll go home and go to practice (Wednesday) and get ready for Minnesota. We have to continue to work to get better. And I've got to get them over the hump. I've got to figure that out.''

He really has no answers and hasn't all season. If you keep working on the same things haven't worked all year, how is that the solution?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

What legal issues? You take Beard in a second. Cheaper, younger, better coach.

@IU Scottwhy did you click on sad? i really want your take. you rooted for a coach for 20 some years that had more baggage than an airport. They used to say Knights secretary was the highest paid in the world because he threw a potted plant at her once a week. Hell everyone has some sort of baggage. We look deep enough we'll find yours maybe. :coffee:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I know this would never work out this way in a million years, but if there is going to be a change, I wish everything could be worked out so that the announcement could be made about his retirement prior to the MSU game.  That way he could be given a nice thank you from the fans for his years as a player and the good times from his years as coach.  It would be like another senior day for him in a sense.   I'm afraid otherwise his potential last game in SSAH could have some ugly moments, and  I would really hate that for him and for our fan base.  

It's kind of up to him though, isn't it? No one can force him to retire, but if he can't see the train coming down the tracks there isn't much you can do to get him over the hump. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

@IU Scottwhy did you click on sad? i really want your take. you rooted for a coach for 20 some years that had more baggage than an airport. They used to say Knights secretary was the highest paid in the world because he threw a potted plant at her once a week. Hell everyone has some sort of baggage. We look deep enough we'll find yours maybe. :coffee:

He likes to message board while driving :coffee:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Do not want May.  Might as well rehire Archie.  Just as big of a risk.

Um, unproven is still better than proven to not be good enough.

And May has seen pretty good success lately that the unproven part is fading.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm curious what makes you think he is capable of wanting to change?

Does the quote about ignoring analytics saying we are better playing 4 around 1 and him clapping back about playing two bigs concern you?

What about the fact that he forced the Knicks to play bigger after having a good season and it got him fired, does that concern you about his intentions? 

Like I said, I think he gets another year, so we’ll see. He whiffed in the portal this year, with the exception of Ware, and was forced to go big again out of necessity. Without going down low, we wouldn’t have scored 50 pts in most games. Our guards are that bad.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's kind of up to him though, isn't it? No one can force him to retire, but if he can't see the train coming down the tracks there isn't much you can do to get him over the hump. 

With the reworked contract, he gets 100% of his remaining salary if fired before 4/1/26 (was 4/1/25), then 50% if fired in the last year. He isn't walking away from $12.6M. It would have to be a firing, with full buyout, disguised as a retirement.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Like I said, I think he gets another year, so we’ll see. He whiffed in the portal this year, with the exception of Ware, and was forced to go big again out of necessity. Without going down low, we wouldn’t have scored 50 pts in most games.

In three off-seasons, he's landed one guard transfer XJ, in year one. He whiffed in the portal in the second summer also. He has no guards in the class of 24.

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Just think of how much the secretary would have been paid if Knight's aim was as good as Eli Holman's with said potted plant lol

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

With the reworked contract, he gets 100% of his remaining salary if fired before 4/1/26 (was 4/1/25), then 50% if fired in the last year. He isn't walking away from $12.6M. It would have to be a firing, with full buyout, disguised as a retirement.

Whoever writes up our contracts and does extensions needs fired.  what is that person's buyout?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m comfortable with Dolson. I liked his hire of CCC.  I liked his reasoning in terms of getting a guy who understood QBs and that his success is translatable.  CCC shows insight into winning and that reflects on Dolson’s thought process.  He didn’t just hire an IU guy.   I liked that he pursued him hard.  

I suspect he was saddled with Woody and he tried to make it work by bringing in Matta and Fife.  

I did not like his predecessor and I don’t think I was wrong about that, but I’m sure others will disagree with me.  The difference between Dolson and his predecessor is Dolson has actual insight into sports and what the necessary components for winning are.  But that’s water under the bridge right now and I think Dolson has a good thought process.  Of course, none of us truly know the inner workings of everything going on but those are my impressions.  

^^^This!^^^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In three off-seasons, he's landed one guard transfer XJ, in year one. He whiffed in the portal in the second summer also. He has no guards in the class of 24.

I agree, and that’s why we’re in this situation. So, if he gets another year, he better land some scoring guards or it could be worse next season. Best case is he turns it around, and we’re the top scoring team in the nation…that’s the optimist in me!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's amazing. They also converted much of the incentive bonuses to guaranteed salary.

And why change a contract that wasn't even up or even close to it.  It's almost like Woodson wrote it himself or had a compromising photo of whoever assisted in that one.

I'm guessing it was the good ol' boy issue. Quinn?

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

over on BTown banners via a poster it was stated that on Rabbys discord via Peegs he was saying Indiana could land Bruce and that Bruce would love the IU job.  

It’s not really surprising.  I watched Pearl’s pre and post game presser when we played the earlier this season, and I came away thinking he was campaigning for the IU job then.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I have made my point about Beard and there is no need to rehash it. Just don't want a drunk girlfriend beater as my coach. I was also was one of the fans who early on wanted RMK gone before he was let go. He should have been let go after the film came out when.he out his hands on Reed. Around 1996-97 on Peeg's I said it was time to move on and I got totally bashed on that site. An old timer Gorkjo wanted to meet me and to kick my ass.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2