Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Steve Alford is a good example to use. He sealed his own fate. 

I mean, yeah, I guess we're running the risk of Dusty being butthurt and not wanting to come here later on. Sorry but that is how I would describe your scenario. 

Matta is a good example.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody think a coach with this record (and a 16-38 conference record over that time) would get a 4th year at IU?

image.png.d234f130d188b9483ef0ab847bd11d0a.png

Yes, check Crean's first three years.

What Pearl took over at Auburn was just as bad as that. 

• Like 5

Just to put a little context on what Pearl took over at Auburn....

In the 10 seasons prior to Auburn hiring Pearl, Auburn had two winning seasons.

They were 23 games below .500 in those 10 seasons.

They had been top 100 in KenPom twice in those 10 seasons, with their best season being 59 (we were 44 in Tom Crean's last season for a reference point)

Bruce Pearl has had that program top 11 at some point in 6 of the past 7 seasons. He took them to a Final Four and probably should have won a title that year if not for two 1975 level bad breaks. This is on top of what he did at UT, Milwaukee, and USI. He isn't my top choice, but there is absolutely zero question he would at a minimum match Crean's level of success with more consistency. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Probably not. But he had 3 4 stars coming in, and had already proved himself pretty substantially at the D1 level. 

Pearl has turned Auburn into a very good basketball program. Undeniable. 

Not "probably not." No way he would have gotten a 4th year...

And Pearl started the "turnaround" just about the time Chuck Person started handing out money...

"Despite finding Auburn guilty of the highest-level violation—a Level I-aggravated designation for its part in the bribery scandal four years ago—the Committee on Infractions accepted the school’s 2021 postseason ban and applied no additional postseason sanctions. Despite having a head coach involved in his second major infractions case in his last two jobs, Pearl is suspended a mere two games. The charges (which were hidden by the school for nearly two years when it refused to release the Notice of Allegations) were serious; the punishment was not."

Now, you can say, "well, it's all legal now." and it is...But it wasn't then, and that speak to integrity...

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Our old friend Stuben has reappeared over on BTB and is having trouble making friends over there.  He is doing the same over there that he did here to get banned. He is trying to tell everyone how to think and how stupid they are if they don't agree with him. He is pretty much the only one over there defending Woodson. 

Why was Stuben banned?? thats done every day here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Same. IU I'm sure is looking for reasons to keep him.

Maybe Woodson can get X a 7th year and guys can hit 75% of their shots and 100% of their free throws so we can hide the fact Woodson sucks. Maybe we'll be ok With Cupps and Newton at the guard spots.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Don't tell that to PeeUUU fans...

Purdue has a very good team…definitely benefiting from some bad basketball but that isn’t their fault…and if they win a championship I wonder how people on here will handle it. Be interesting times for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Purdue has a very good team…definitely benefiting from some bad basketball but that isn’t their fault…and if they win a championship I wonder how people on here will handle it. Be interesting times for sure. 

I'd tip my hat to them and say, "Good job."

Then I'd remind them that Holy Cross has ONE too :D 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i say this can be turned into a positive.  we hire Pearl, but he is kinda up there in age.  let him do his thing for however long while May adjusts to B1G coaching.  then we steal him away from OSU.

I guess things to consider (as of now):

-Rumor that BP wants his son to be the next coach in line when he retires. Is that something IU would do in order to get him? Does Auburn take his son instead if he moves on and eliminate that risk? 

-Goodman said in that video that it’s possible Dusty becomes the top choice for both Louisville and Ohio St. I think it’s safe to assume Dusty will be considered for other P5 jobs too (think West Va already has). Does another school put language in his contract to make it impossible for IU to afford his buyout? Also, would Dusty move to IU if things were going well at his new gig and vibes are poor at IU? 

I would still prefer Pearl over May because he’s won everywhere he’s been but would be happy with either at this rate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That has nothing to do with it...

It's a pretty simple question...would he have gotten a 4th year?

Depends on recruiting and what the makeup of the team play is. Have a young squad with a good class coming in, then yes. Because you can see that the project is progressing. Inversely, if the team is projected to lose a lot of talent and not a strong class coming in, then no to a 4th year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That has nothing to do with it...

It's a pretty simple question...would he have gotten a 4th year?

Crean had a worse record than that so he would probably get a 4th year. Age has a lot to do with this because we know Woodson is not a long term solution. If you have a proven college coach available and will come then you make the change.

I know most of us is wanting to see a change in the coaching and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Saying that I will still root for IU next year and watch the games like I have always done.  There are very few things that would have to happen for me to stop watching IU. Having Woodson as our coach isn't one of them

• Like 3

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Our old friend Stuben has reappeared over on BTB and is having trouble making friends over there.  He is doing the same over there that he did here to get banned. He is trying to tell everyone how to think and how stupid they are if they don't agree with him. He is pretty much the only one over there defending Woodson. 

I have had a couple run ins with Stuben. I left the board for about 6 months because of him. Nice enough guy, but man he certainly likes to stand his ground on certain issues. Life is too short and at the end of the day, why waste your time and energy trying to get someone to do something they don't want to do?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Crean had a worse record than that so he would probably get a 4th year. Age has a lot to do with this because we know Woodson is not a long term solution. If you have a proven college coach available and will come then you make the change.

I know most of us is wanting to see a change in the coaching and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Saying that I will still root for IU next year and watch the games like I have always done.  There are very few things that would have to happen for me to stop watching IU. Having Woodson as our coach isn't one of them

Crean had to play a lot of kids that had no business playing D1 basketball at a P6 school...Despite what's been said in this thread previously, if you look at what Pearl walked into, he had some talent there...400+ games of D1 basketball experience...Crean had Devan Dumas, Kyle Taber and 12 freshmen (including walkons)...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Crean had to play a lot of kids that had no business playing D1 basketball at a P6 school...Despite what's been said in this thread previously, if you look at what Pearl walked into, he had some talent there...400+ games of D1 basketball experience...Crean had Devan Dumas, Kyle Taber and 12 freshmen (including walkons)...

I guess I'm confused...are you arguing Pearl isn't a good coach? Or that IU would be applying a double standard by not giving Woodson a 4th year? Or something else entirely?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Hope you're right.  On the other hand, if I had just built a low-major program pretty much from nothing, won 35 games and gone to a Final Four, and my dream place to coach decided someone else was better, I might have a new dream: take a job in their conference and beat the hell out of them.

Has anyone got Dusty on record saying IU is his dream job? Just wondering because my dream job at 18 was a lot different than 45….and #1 on my list now is $$$ and opportunity…far from what was important growing up. Who says IU is his dream job?? Who says that’s where he wants to go? Not fighting just would like to know because I’ve heard him on the radio and tv down here in Florida a lot and never heard that from him…in fact haven’t heard anything about wanting to coach at IU some day.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Depends on recruiting and what the makeup of the team play is. Have a young squad with a good class coming in, then yes. Because you can see that the project is progressing. Inversely, if the team is projected to lose a lot of talent and not a strong class coming in, then no to a 4th year. 

Interesting take...Pearl didn't have any real success at Auburn until around 2017...Here's that roster...

image.png.bc2e1feb3b7e4744ff48aec89da123ec.png

He went from having 1 RSCI top 100 kid to 5...and his top 3 players were all freshman...

So I wonder...What would be the allure of playing basketball at Auburn? History? No...The Cliff Ellis years were ok, but other than that, nothing...

OH! Maybe Pearl met them in "Person?" ;) 

Just now, IUProfessor said:

I guess I'm confused...are you arguing Pearl isn't a good coach? Or that IU would be applying a double standard by not giving Woodson a 4th year? Or something else entirely?

A little bit more than a double standard based on the results, wouldn't you say? 

No one is denying Pearl can coach...But he's not exactly the moral standard bearer when it comes to college basketball...

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Has anyone got Dusty on record saying IU is his dream job? Just wondering because my dream job at 18 was a lot different than 45….and #1 on my list now is $$$ and opportunity…far from what was important growing up. Who says IU is his dream job?? Who says that’s where he wants to go? Not fighting just would like to know because I’ve heard him on the radio and tv down here in Florida a lot and never heard that from him…in fact haven’t heard anything about wanting to coach at IU some day.

I haven’t heard him publicly say that.  People close to him have said it.  And I’ve heard there’s an IU escape clause in his contract, but I haven't personally seen his contract to confirm that.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A little bit more than a double standard based on the results, wouldn't you say? 

No one is denying Pearl can coach...But he's not exactly the moral standard bearer when it comes to college basketball...

Again, those are two different arguments. First of all, I don't think the fact that AU gave Pearl a 4th year has any bearing on what IU ought to do. The situations are totally different in terms of program history, the state of the programs when Pearl/Woodson took over, the coaches' respective track records, and the recruiting momentum or lack thereof. For instance, if Woodson had signed Boogie Fland and Derik Queen, along with McNeeley, for next season, then I think he'd be facing much less pressure here (although not zero, given how poorly his team has performed this year).

As for the moral issue, I don't think anyone is contending that Pearl is squeaky clean. But the things he's been penalized for were either ludicrous violations at the time (hosting a recruit at a BBQ), or allegations of conduct that is now perfectly legal under the rules (Person stuff), and which most major schools were already allegedly facilitating themselves at the time (including IU, at least according to some).

If you think the moral issues are disqualifying, then so be it, reasonable minds can certainly disagree on that. But I really don't understand what relevance Pearl's record his first three years at AU have on IU and Woodson.  It's completely apples to oranges. 

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Crean had a good group of young players in Hulls, Watford, Jones, Creek, Vic, and Sheehey. Then won 27 games in year 4. Be built on recruiting class after recruiting class. Fans could see trajectory was there to be good. Then when Zeller stayed it was a great year.  

I was a Crean supporter until it was clear he had lost the state and recruiting became a mess. He never recovered and a change was needed. Glass just chose to hire the wrong coach in Miller. 

• Like 2