Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’m guessing more info comes out today. Sucks if true. 

2C0BBC80-7E4D-4D8B-82F3-23B7344B3E2D.png

8972C353-918D-4CC0-AE4F-3533930294EC.png

Just amplifies the fact that a move has to be made at IU. Not saying for May, because I want Pearl, but sitting on our hands another year only puts us further behind in EVERY aspect of our program.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

This seems like a great scenario for us. Let's see if he can cut it in a power conference. If he can, I get the idea we can poach him anytime we want.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

This seems like a great scenario for us. Let's see if he can cut it in a power conference. If he can, I get the idea we can poach him anytime we want.

Also, I believe it puts more pressure on IU/Dolson to make a move. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KDB said:

Trilly update: "At this point my understanding is that if Dolson can get the right guys to flip, they'll make the move. And if they make the move, Bruce Pearl is in line to be the guy."

That was posted on Trilly yesterday, right? Sorry just keeping everything straight. 

• Like 3

Dusty to OSU would suck. I'm not so sure that if he has success at OSU he'd leave to come here.

I wouldn't mind him taking another job to see how he does somewhere that's a step up from FAU, but I think OSU is a good enough job to the point where we may not be able to poach him in the future.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KDB said:

Dusty to OSU would suck. I'm not so sure that if he has success at OSU he'd leave to come here.

I wouldn't mind him taking another job to see how he does somewhere that's a step up from FAU, but I think OSU is a good enough job to the point where we may not be able to poach him in the future.

lets say.... you were Dusty May, I bet you love IU just as much/close to what Dusty does.... not sure where you grew up, but Dusty also grew up in essentially Indiana's verison of the "outskirts" of a city (Bloomington)... right? I mean the guy went to Eastern Greene HS.. EGHS to Assembly Hall is a 25 min drive.. 

Again, lets say this is YOU..... would YOU take the IU job, even after a successful stint at OSU?...... 

I think you would. 

OSU/FAU would be jobs for Dusty--- Indiana would be the dream. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

i say this can be turned into a positive.  we hire Pearl, but he is kinda up there in age.  let him do his thing for however long while May adjusts to B1G coaching.  then we steal him away from OSU.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody think a coach with this record (and a 16-38 conference record) would get a 4th year at IU?

image.png.d234f130d188b9483ef0ab847bd11d0a.png

Probably not. But he had 3 4 stars coming in, and had already proved himself pretty substantially at the D1 level. 

Pearl has turned Auburn into a very good basketball program. Undeniable. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

lets say.... you were Dusty May, I bet you love IU just as much/close to what Dusty does.... not sure where you grew up, but Dusty also grew up in essentially Indiana's verison of the "outskirts" of a city (Bloomington)... right? I mean the guy went to Eastern Greene HS.. EGHS to Assembly Hall is a 25 min drive.. 

Again, lets say this is YOU..... would YOU take the IU job, even after a successful stint at OSU?...... 

I think you would. 

OSU/FAU would be jobs for Dusty--- Indiana would be the dream. 

Hope you're right.  On the other hand, if I had just built a low-major program pretty much from nothing, won 35 games and gone to a Final Four, and my dream place to coach decided someone else was better, I might have a new dream: take a job in their conference and beat the hell out of them.

Did a little research comparing who some believe to be the top 2 choices IF a change is made with the HC at IU.

Cronin over his last 8 seasons (5 @ UCLA, 3 @ Cincy): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank (similar as a KenPom rating): 31
Adj. O Rating: 46
Adj. D Rating: 34

Pearl over his last 8 seasons at Auburn: Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 33
Adj. O Rating: 31
Adj. D Rating: 57

For fun, IU over those same 8 seasons (Woody 3, Miller 4, Crean 1): Average rankings via Bart Torvik
T-Rank: 52
Adj. O Rating: 70
Adj. D Rating: 50

I will say, I was one who argued against Cronin as the top option because of his offensive systems. Looks like he has been actually rather good on that side of the ball overall the last 8 seasons. If you take out this season, which has been an anomaly for him (he didn't have an O rating higher than 56), his O Rating jumps to 31.

I am firmly in the camp that a change is almost necessary at this point to save us from the depths of college basketball that IUFB has been in for so long on their side, but I was exclusively only wanting Pearl. Now, give me Pearl or Cronin.

Just now, IUJoe said:

Hope you're right.  On the other hand, if I had just built a low-major program pretty much from nothing, won 35 games and gone to a Final Four, and my dream place to coach decided someone else was better, I might have a new dream: take a job in their conference and beat the hell out of them.

It would be hard to convince me that was the dream, then. You don't change where you're from, what's bred into you. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It would be hard to convince me that was the dream, then. You don't change where you're from, what's bred into you. 

As you get older (Dusty is 47, will be maybe 55 or so when Pearl would theoretically be done here), you sometimes recognize that dreams you had were unattainable, and your new reality, where your feet are now, becomes your dream.  See: Steve Alford.  Again, I hope you're right and we see him coach here someday, but sometimes that happens when you tell a guy he isn't good enough for you.

• Like 1

Just now, IUJoe said:

As you get older (Dusty is 47, will be maybe 55 or so when Pearl would theoretically be done here), you sometimes recognize that dreams you had were unattainable, and your new reality, where your feet are now, becomes your dream.  See: Steve Alford.  Again, I hope you're right and we see him coach here someday, but sometimes that happens when you tell a guy he isn't good enough for you.

I don't think Steve Alford is a good example to use. He sealed his own fate. 

I mean, yeah, I guess we're running the risk of Dusty being butthurt and not wanting to come here later on. Sorry but that is how I would describe your scenario. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Steve Alford is a good example to use. He sealed his own fate. 

I mean, yeah, I guess we're running the risk of Dusty being butthurt and not wanting to come here later on. Sorry but that is how I would describe your scenario. 

Agreed on Steve Alford.  Maybe Brad Stevens is a better example.  And I'm not saying May would necessarily be butthurt.  But then again, people do get butthurt all the time, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDB said:

It would be very hard to poach a coach from OSU. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

Agreed on Steve Alford.  Maybe Brad Stevens is a better example.  And I'm not saying May would necessarily be butthurt.  But then again, people do get butthurt all the time, lol.

Brad Stevens didn't have Dusty May's background. But yes, a better example, for sure. 

• Like 1