Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I had read the same info as mentioned and summarized like this:

Skipping recruiting days over the last 3 years.

Recruits hearing from other HC more than Woodson.

Needs major help from the portal to overhaul a roster.

Choosing to pursue "ready-made" players instead of recruiting and developing HS kids

Woodson publicly stating 2 point shots are good while having one of the worst 3 point rates 3 years in a row.

HS, AAU, and other coaches/trainers have heard very little from a certain HC over the course of 3 years. 

It's March of year 3. It took until Feb. for Woodson to go see Sisley and Mullins, two of the top in-state prospects and he didn't see Mullins in a game until the sectional semifinals.

Told Boogie Fland "Boogie, again, I cannot promise you minutes because I am anticipating that Xavier Johnson may be getting a seventh year..."

I am literally just reposting what was posted on BTB and based on what Rabby has been posting. 

Told Boogie Fland "Boogie, again, I cannot promise you minutes because I am anticipating that Xavier Johnson may be getting a seventh year..."

I doubt that was actually in the article. That was just the poster making a joke

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Ok being mean here. Woodson is senile and his brain isn’t working at all.  He is an idiot.

I can’t say anything nice about this comment.  Wow.  

To be fair to Mike Woodson, that one line requires quite a bit more context. 

Does he mean through the post, or does he mean with guards and wings getting to the rim, sucking in the defense, etc. 

Paint touches are always going to be important in basketball, just depends on how you get them. 

Unfortunately, I think Woodson means playing through the post. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That may be the case, but there has to be an "out".  It cant just be 2-3 guys that do nothing but play defense and make post passes. If you use a dominant post player(s) to draw defenders in to open up OUTside players for straight line cuts or open 3s thats fantastic. But having two bigs play hot potato in a phone booth while guarded by 4 guys doesnt win games.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Does he mean through the post, or does he mean with guards and wings getting to the rim, sucking in the defense, etc. 

Paint touches are always going to be important in basketball, just depends on how you get them. 

I wouldn't call guards getting into the paint off of dribble penetration inside out personally. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

my like i gave you is only for the last sentence. :coffee:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

In all honesty do coaches get asked questions when interviewing…how did that not come up in the hiring process and after 3 years we are just now finding out? 

Inside out like a guard penetrates and kicks it out?? Or simply throw it into the post like it’s 1960 and let your big go to work and the 3pt line doesn’t still exist.

Woody sure knows how to throw all the good will he earned with his two wins away real fast don’t he.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So clueless, the NBA isn't played that way either 

You could watch one March madness highlight advertisement and see all the incredible guard play leading teams…Cinderella’s and national championship powerhouses  alike to figure out it’s a guards game.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The best IU team Woodson played on didn’t play through Tolbert and Turner. They were primarily screeners and rebounders. Woodson, Isiah and Butch Carter combined for 50 ppg 

Coach Knight never played through the post. They threw it into the post but after some cross screening to get the post player open. We never just sent the post player into the post and try to pass him the ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The best IU team Woodson played on didn’t play through Tolbert and Turner. They were primarily screeners and rebounders. Woodson, Isiah and Butch Carter combined for 50 ppg 

The motion Knight ran was all about the guards. Bigs were screeners.

• Like 3