Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So if I am reading all of this correct, either Chris on BTB or Trilly are the main source for every one of these rumors? So one is getting their information from the other or they are getting their info from the same person? I say this because they've both been basically saying the same things at the same time. And if all this Buckner stuff is true, then Dolson and the President need to get together and say, sorry Quinn, we hired Scott to make these decisions. I might be a simpleton here, but that doesn't seem like that would be "out of line". 

No Dakich and Jim Reamer both said Buckner was the issue back in January.  

"But the amendment also contained a caveat uncommon in IU’s recent contractual history: If it so chooses, Indiana can fulfill its buyout obligation via annual lump sum payments of $1 million."

Osterman wrote that today with the new contract details from August.... WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR!?!?!? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Now, Part Two to the above, this post indirectly gets to why I don't think Woodson turns it around, and that year four will likely be his last.

My big concern is it's just too late. Woodson came from the NBA, and from the moment he arrived on campus his priority was recruiting the best of the best, guys who looked like players he saw in the NBA. Now, outside of your Dukes and Kentuckys, his hit rate on those players has been impressive! The problem is there haven't been nearly enough three- and four-year guys brought in to build around them. Kaleb Banks isn't playing. Walsh had to convince Woodson to bring in Cupps. That's it.

Woodson has essentially tried to shortcut the process, just as Penny Hardaway did at Memphis and Juwan Howard at Michigan. That can lead to good results when you have the right talent on had. When those guys leave early, or you miss on a cycle, you have no baseline established to maintain continuity.

The premise of the quoted post is straightforward. If those guys go, of course Woodson has to go too. There'd be nothing left. You can fill in on the fly with the portal, but any new coach can do that too. If you're going to be starting from scratch in year 4, might as well be with a new coach, too. 

Every complaint I have about Woodson can be tied to his lifetime of experience at the NBA level, and his need to adapt to what's required at the college level. Some of those lessons can still be learned. But even if everything else gets fixed, I susect his failure early on to engage in roster building with a view to the long term means he won't have the runway to get this program to consistently perform at a level fans demand.

I agree with a lot of this, especially the second and third paragraphs.  I posted earlier in this thread, pages ago by now, about my concerns with the recruiting.  It's not been the misses that worry me (Fland, Queen) it's not having other options lined up ready to go and the what seems like little interest in recruiting the guys you have to develop. 

Your opening line is where our divergence occurs.  I do agree with you that I don't see Woodson turning this around.  That is why I finally came to the position a while back that it's best for all parties involved, including him, to part ways after this season while I believe from other posts you are okay with year four.  There is no point in going through the motions of a lame duck season next year and basically kicking the can down the road.  Personally, I think next year is looking bleak no matter the coach since we are likely to be so portal dependent, so I'd just as soon get a head start on letting the next guy get his program rolling so that we can have some hope for 25-26.  

I appreciate your perspective.  I"ve always enjoyed our interactions over the years on these boards.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So if I am reading all of this correct, either Chris on BTB or Trilly are the main source for every one of these rumors? So one is getting their information from the other or they are getting their info from the same person? I say this because they've both been basically saying the same things at the same time. And if all this Buckner stuff is true, then Dolson and the President need to get together and say, sorry Quinn, we hired Scott to make these decisions. I might be a simpleton here, but that doesn't seem like that would be "out of line". 

The issue is the BoT is above the AD and President, and Quinn "7 threes in 8 years" Buckner is the President of the BoT. And he apparently doesn't see an issue playing inside-out, at least not if the option to do otherwise involves firing his buddy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will be happy when this is no longer the most popular thread on the site, regardless of the actual outcome of whatever decision is made.

I hate to tell you this, but if the decision is to retain him I don't think the popularity of this thread is going down.... 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will be happy when this is no longer the most popular thread on the site, regardless of the actual outcome of whatever decision is made.

if cdw is retained then the basketball board may be like...

tumbleweed-ghost-town-38mqmp87j3dcafcf.g

as everyone relocates to the football board

• Like 5

I don't like what is going on at Indiana with the coaching and the politics. Therefore, I just quit watching, donating, supporting or caring. That is really the only way that I can exercise my displeasure with the total incompetence that we have had to live through for the last 25 plus years. You want crappy results, you put crappy people in place who make crappy decisions and hire crappy people. 

Those in charge of Indiana basketball are idiots. They are just like the federal government in that they could screw up a crowbar!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The issue is the BoT is above the AD and President, and Quinn "7 threes in 8 years" Buckner is the President of the BoT. And he apparently doesn't see an issue playing inside-out, at least not if the option to do otherwise involves firing his buddy. 

Quinn should see an issue with being “8 and 10 in this f*****g league”

I've spent so much time on this thread that it's in my dreams.

I had a dream just before waking up this morning that I was watching  Mike Tirico make the announcement that Indiana was in preliminary talks with.......Scott Drew to be the next bb coach.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Rabby has dropped hints as well. There have been other less credible people dropping hints or giving out info as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, DC2345 said:

Rabby has dropped hints as well. There have been other less credible people dropping hints or giving out info as well. 

Sounds like Dolson gave Rabby the green light to unload.  Scott isn't stupid and he knows we're headed for the iceberg if Woody gets another year.  He's doing all he can to make a change.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I came to terms years ago with my NFL team (Carolina Panthers 😔) being run by bumbling idiots. I guess I need to come to similar terms with IU basketball.

Duuuuude I feel for you. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i can't wait either because it will mean he was fired.  ain't no way the result is us keeping him, next year making us all happy and this thread going away.  i'm not sure anyone would bet on that outcome.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

here you go.

Quinn sure loves Woodson...although at least the buyout isn't bad in that it can be stretched out over years.  Too bad Quinn doesn't have to fund it.

I wonder if they go with the $1 million per year option and Woodson happens to find a job that pays over a $1 million, then would it negate the higher amount from the buyout?

Of course, I don't see Woodson finding another Quinn to give him a high contract.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Yeah, I meant to mention Rabby too. But it sounds like insiders are just piggybacking of each other with the tidbits as all three have been saying similar stuff for the most part, not saying it's not true, just interesting. I think at this point it's getting a bit too political and boring for me. It's turning into finger pointing and people with axes to grind quite honestly. I don't really want to comb through a bunch of complaints about QB and the administration and their political beliefs etc. I am sure there's some truth to it, where there is money and power there's always conflicts, but this just seems like a bunch a finger pointing and very representative of the political landscape of today. We have to blame someone for this, now it's QB's turn. Before it was Glass, before then this President and that President and so on and so forth. One thing too, is IU fans want coaches (rightly or wrongly) fired for disappointing seasons, but then some want these kids and coaches to be squeaky clean even though the world of sports is pretty shady and always has been. At some point, if you want to win, you can't cross off every box that you think CBK did or whatever other program with think IUBB should be. I am not saying you hire a guy like Beard, but you can't always get the perfect candidate and IUBB hasn't been consistently good in a very long time. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Really disheartening that it’s come to this. Beyond frustrating that Buckner has no desire to have an open and honest conversation about his actions and their current consequences. To keep Woody around for a 4th year simply because Archie did is completely tone deaf to how much CBB has evolved over the past 2-3 years (transfer portal, NIL, expanding conferences, tv deals, etc). This is a business, not “make a wish foundation”. 

People like him claim to love the university and program yet prioritize their own personal relationships over the greater good of the school. Not to mention, Buckner is a terrible friend if he thinks keeping Woodson around another year is smart, when we all know fans will be volatile and the narrative around his legacy will be forever tarnished. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Man, some tea is spilling.

Is Woody's contract public record and Osterman dug for it, or was he leaked that info? 

Nothing gets leaked unless a certain someone wants it to be. Press has been used as stool pigeons since the beginning of time.

• Like 7