Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

37 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Indirectly, this actually gets at why I've been okay with Woodson potentially getting a year 4.

He's had two seasons of college basketball experience, and in both years it was easy to craft the narrative things were moving in the right direction. We got back to the tournament for the first time in five years. We followed that up by finishing second in the Big Ten and getting a four seed in the Tournament. In the last 30 years, back to when Knight was coaching Cheaney, only the '13 team had been seeded higher. Recruiting seemed promising, we were in on and landing five star talents. It would have been easy for Woodson to believe he was a successful college coach and had things rolling in the right direction.

This season all the cracks in the foundation were laid bare. Our struggles have exposed all the ways in which we don't play efficient basketball, and make the game harder for ourselves based on what we do and don't prioritize. There are certain skills missing from this year's roster, and our talent elsewhere wasn't enough to compensate.

All these issues can potentially be addressed in one offseaon. The portal allows Woodson to balance out the roster in a way that wasn't done last spring. Another year of experience at this level could make Woodson comfortable with players who won't play in the NBA, but can contribute to winning at the college level. If you want to play inside-out, go get playmakers and shooters to complement your frontcourt.

Lots of lessons to be learned from this season, for a coach who's willing to self-reflect. Is Woodson that guy? I think there's still a chance. There's an urgency and a need to do so now that wasn't present after his first two seasons. I'm okay with a year 4 because I want to see how Woodson responds to failure. If he truly can't recognize the ways in which he failed, then we have our answer. Maybe Dolson is already having those conversations, and knows a change of direction is needed. That's fine too. But as a fan on the outside, my response to a season like this isn't that it's a fireable offense; the fireable offense is allowing it to ever happen again.

You should check out why he got fired from the Knicks and listen to some of Woodson's press clippings if you think he's going to change. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I feel like he is just trying to justify his roster construction and his teams inability to shoot and the poor offense. Like why does he double down on his mistakes. People would appreciate the honesty and give him a second chance if he said he made mistakes in not filling the final scholarship and the makeup of the roster didn’t turn out how he would like. I’m making do with what I have and I think this teams best chance is to play through its two most talented offensive players who unfortunately should play the same position. Just admit the error and say i won’t make it again.

I want to make some comments about Woody and his personality but I’ll just keep it to myself. Can’t say something nice and all…but for someone who doesn’t have a great coaching track record…the guy comes off a little too assured of himself.

Ya it’s gotten old REAL quick 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Indirectly, this actually gets at why I've been okay with Woodson potentially getting a year 4.

He's had two seasons of college basketball experience, and in both years it was easy to craft the narrative things were moving in the right direction. We got back to the tournament for the first time in five years. We followed that up by finishing second in the Big Ten and getting a four seed in the Tournament. In the last 30 years, back to when Knight was coaching Cheaney, only the '13 team had been seeded higher. Recruiting seemed promising, we were in on and landing five star talents. It would have been easy for Woodson to believe he was a successful college coach and had things rolling in the right direction.

This season all the cracks in the foundation were laid bare. Our struggles have exposed all the ways in which we don't play efficient basketball, and make the game harder for ourselves based on what we do and don't prioritize. There are certain skills missing from this year's roster, and our talent elsewhere wasn't enough to compensate.

All these issues can potentially be addressed in one offseaon. The portal allows Woodson to balance out the roster in a way that wasn't done last spring. Another year of experience at this level could make Woodson comfortable with players who won't play in the NBA, but can contribute to winning at the college level. If you want to play inside-out, go get playmakers and shooters to complement your frontcourt.

Lots of lessons to be learned from this season, for a coach who's willing to self-reflect. Is Woodson that guy? I think there's still a chance. There's an urgency and a need to do so now that wasn't present after his first two seasons. I'm okay with a year 4 because I want to see how Woodson responds to failure. If he truly can't recognize the ways in which he failed, then we have our answer. Maybe Dolson is already having those conversations, and knows a change of direction is needed. That's fine too. But as a fan on the outside, my response to a season like this isn't that it's a fireable offense; the fireable offense is allowing it to ever happen again.

We have a lot to change and the teams that make this many changes fail.  It’s not going to be easy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

That Trilly guy saying it was Buckner who hired Archie too.  Wasn't Fred's choice. He was overruled.😢

Buckner has to go immediately.

Have you ever listened to him call a pacer game?? Do yourself a favor and don’t. It’s terrible!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Have you ever listened to him call a pacer game?? Do yourself a favor and don’t. It’s terrible!

He provides some real basketball insight that you just can't get anywhere else.  Like listening to a prime Bobby Knight.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Most incompetent administration in the history of college athletics.  I've said it for decades.

• Like 1

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Most incompetent administration in the history of college athletics.  I've said it for decades.

I've seen people use the Alabama football comparison before Saban for us....

Well Saban only took the job because the admin/boosters got told to shut the hell up and stay out of his way. That's what we need. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've seen people use the Alabama football comparison before Saban for us....

Well Saban only took the job because the admin/boosters got told to shut the hell up and stay out of his way. That's what we need. 

Dolson knows what needs to be done.  He's not the issue.  We all know who the problem is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

His comments recently and refusal to recruit seem to indicate he isn't willing to learn (his ego thinks he already knows what is best).

I don't see another year as anything other than a wasted year.

• Like 2

Dear Mr. Buckner

I also would like to say that Mike and yourself are two of my favorite IU players I was fortunate to watch. Both of you embodied what an IU basketball player is supposed to be.

I just hate to see both of you tarnish your reputation and legacy because of hiring Coach Woodson as your coach. I just hope you actually look at where the basketball program is and realize it needs to go in a new direction. If what we fans are hearing is true, that you are putting yourself ahead of what is best for the program at this time. It sounds like you are over stepping your duties and not letting the athletic department do their job.

I know you are busy with your Pacer schedule and probably don't get to watch many college games. Let me assure you what we see on the court with IU doesn't match how other successful teams are running their programs. We have no real guard play and we play to many big men at a time. This isn't how it is done in today's college basketball. You watch NBA games and you definitely don't see teams playing this style of basketball.

I really hope you will listen to what your AD has to say and let him do his job when it comes to the basketball program.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I can't stand Gregg Doyle but he needs to write an article about Buckner and his mess he's created with IU basketball. 

So if I am reading all of this correct, either Chris on BTB or Trilly are the main source for every one of these rumors? So one is getting their information from the other or they are getting their info from the same person? I say this because they've both been basically saying the same things at the same time. And if all this Buckner stuff is true, then Dolson and the President need to get together and say, sorry Quinn, we hired Scott to make these decisions. I might be a simpleton here, but that doesn't seem like that would be "out of line". 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Dear Mr. Buckner

I also would like to say that Mike and yourself are two of my favorite IU players I was fortunate to watch. Both of you embodied what an IU basketball player is supposed to be.

I just hate to see both of you tarnish your reputation and legacy because of hiring Coach Woodson as your coach. I just hope you actually look at where the basketball program is and realize it needs to go in a new direction. If what we fans are hearing is true, that you are putting yourself ahead of what is best for the program at this time. It sounds like you are over stepping your duties and not letting the athletic department do their job.

I know you are busy with your Pacer schedule and probably don't get to watch many college games. Let me assure you what we see on the court with IU doesn't match how other successful teams are running their programs. We have no real guard play and we play to many big men at a time. This isn't how it is done in today's college basketball. You watch NBA games and you definitely don't see teams playing this style of basketball.

I really hope you will listen to what your AD has to say and let him do his job when it comes to the basketball program.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts.

Not bad.  I would say "because of holding on to Woodson too long"  or something to that effect.  Hiring was already done unfortunately so no point in complaining about that.

Got a to vs too typing error as well in 3rd paragraph.

🤢🤢🤢🤢:rollinglaugh: this is me when I think of the next 12-13 months of IUBB if CMW is retained. 

I so wish the "banging head against the wall" emoji was brought with us from our last site. That was my absolute favorite lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

🤢🤢🤢🤢:rollinglaugh: this is me when I think of the next 12-13 months of IUBB if CMW is retained. 

I so wish the "banging head against the wall" emoji was brought with us from our last site. That was my absolute favorite lol 

giphy.gif