Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

16 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

FAU being 94th in defense in a average league at best is really concerning 

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

i watched them the other night and i thought 5 of us could put 70 on them. also the offensive plays were worse than Woodsons.

Yeah, they have no interest in playing defense. Also not convinced that their uptempo style will work in the B1G. Then what?

• Like 1

I'd be 100% fine with Pearl....I mean: why not not at this point? Great coach. Big personality. Endless energy. 

But as far as the university's ethical concerns, I don't think it's as simple as the notion: 'what Chuck Person did is not illegal any more.' It's that Pearl failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance for the 4th or time in his career. I think it's more about him being a repeat offender of the rules in place, at the time. 

Having Craft at a BBQ is not really a big deal in itself. But he lied about the situation. And then videos surfaced of Craft at the BBQ. And then a few days after Pearl gives a tearful apology to the media, his assistant makes illegal contact with another recruit. Pearl didn't get fired at UT for the Craft incident alone - it was the chain of events. It was a failure to comply to the rules (no matter how dumb they are) in existence, lying about it and then letting it happen again.

At Milwaukee he did the same thing (inviting a recruit and his family to a graduation party)

So, even though I think Pearl would crush it at IU, I do see why the administration would have hesitations about hiring him. They do want some degree of compliance in the program. I think deep down we all do. But as fans, we have the luxury of hoping it doesn't happen, while the administration is on the hook if it does happen. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I'd be 100% fine with Pearl....I mean: why not not at this point? Great coach. Big personality. Endless energy. 

But as far as the university is concerned, I don't think it's as simple as the notion: 'what Chuck Person did is not illegal any more.' It's that Pearl failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance for the 4th or time in his career. I think it's more about him being a repeat offender of the rules in place, at the time. 

Having Craft at a BBQ is not really a big deal in itself. But he lied about the situation. And then videos surfaces of Craft at the BBQ. And then a few days after he gives a tearful apology to the media, his assistant makes illegal contact with another recruit. Pearl didn't get fired at UT for the Craft incident alone - it was the chain of events. It was a failure to comply to the rules (no matter how dumb they are) in existence, lying about it and then letting it happen again.

At Milwaukee he did the same thing (inviting a recruit and his family to a graduation party)

So, even though I think Pearl would crush it at IU, I do see why the administration would have hesitations about hiring him. They do want some degree of compliance in the program. I think deep down we all do. But as fans, we have the luxury of hoping it doesn't happen, while the administration is on the hook if it does happen. 

Coaches still can't give players money....schools can't give players money. NIL comes from outside ran by an outside company hired by IU. So what the coaches did is still against the rules. But now Adidas doesnt need the coach to hand a player a bag.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The bigger question is what his ability is to build a roster from scratch.  That's a possibility regardless of who the new coach is.  In that contest, I choose Bruce Pearl.  

How about McDermott?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

From my understanding, many admins (BOTs or others) still aren't thrilled with his baggage from early years. Now could they change their mind? Sure, with Dolson's help maybe even. However, at this moment in time, it seems May is the leader at the turn.

If it's Dusty we'll be shopping for a new coach in 3-4 years.  These people never learn.  You have to hire a coach with the street cred to keep the mob at bay.  Anyone else is 100% guaranteed to fail.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But as far as the university's ethical concerns, I don't think it's as simple as the notion: 'what Chuck Person did is not illegal any more.' It's that Pearl failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance for the 4th or time in his career. I think it's more about him being a repeat offender of the rules in place, at the time. 

Having Craft at a BBQ is not really a big deal in itself. But he lied about the situation. And then videos surfaced of Craft at the BBQ. And then a few days after Pearl gives a tearful apology to the media, his assistant makes illegal contact with another recruit. Pearl didn't get fired at UT for the Craft incident alone - it was the chain of events. It was a failure to comply to the rules (no matter how dumb they are) in existence, lying about it and then letting it happen again.

I simply cannot find an ounce of me to care about any of that. Auburn doesn't care. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Last year with UConn work? Of course it's how the person phrases it. UConn, Purdue, Gonzaga over the years all use inside out. Difference being the out guys have to make the shots.

A little behind on this thread, but wanted to reply to this. You kind of get at it at the end, but those teams use the inside part to setup the outside part. Uconn was top 70 in 3 point rate last year and made a lot of those. Purdue is more inside focus, but that’s because Edey is one of the most efficient scorers that’s played in college in awhile - and even they’re 234th in 3 point rate with the 2nd best percentage.

Really since the start of Archie IU has been inside in. We throw it inside, and if that doesn’t work we still force inside. That style has become more extreme under Woodson. Archie at least had a few teams that were top 300 in 3 point rate. Woodson’s first year was the highest 3 point rate at 322. I think a big part of the issue is that Woodson’s teams seem to use deep 2s as the “outside” part of the offense, which is just a losing strategy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Coaches still can't give players money....schools can't give players money. NIL comes from outside ran by an outside company hired by IU. So what the coaches did is still against the rules. But now Adidas doesnt need the coach to hand a player a bag.

AND, Adidas has carte blanche to have IU players wear cheap, baggy, practice uniforms instilling "fear"  hahaha

• Haha 1

Just now, John S said:

Auburn has to compete with BAMA.  enuf said

Nothing Bama has ever done, sorry... nothing ANY school has ever done in terms of "cheating" has ever bothered me. 

We should cheat more/be better at it. And not turn ourselves in when it happens lol gotta be the dumbest shit I've ever heard. 

We don't have a moral high ground on anyone. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Do Auburn's BOT care? 

I don’t know, but if we’re talking about IU making that move, it only matters what our BOT thinks. And if history is a guide, they’re not huge fans of coaches who toe that line. I’d just personally be surprised to see them hire Pearl….they’ve had multiple opportunities to do so in the past, but didn’t. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t know, but if we’re talking about IU making that move, it only matters what our BOT thinks. And if history is a guide, they’re not huge fans of coaches who toe that line. I’d just personally be surprised to see them hire Pearl….they’ve had multiple opportunities to do so in the past, but didn’t. 

Right. We aren't serious, we can see that. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

If we don’t hire Pearl because of a few silly things in the past it might be the final straw for me

What’s frustrating to me is how wildly inconsistent this school is with what is concerning or not. 

Our past 3 coaching staffs were mentioned during the FBI trial. 

1) Per Yahoo sports article: “Another time, Gassnola and Gatto visited Indiana and according to a memo detailing the trip, Gassnola wrote “Jim assured [then]-Coach [Tom Crean] we are here to help. … We received huggs (sic).”

*Not to mention, Kenny Johnson was a Crean assistant who was later fired by Louisville with Pitino. 

2) Per The Kansas Star article: “Fenny, I am in Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?’”

*Ostrom didn’t lose his job at IU despite this.

3) Per yahoo sports article: “Whatever you need me to do, I’ll do it,” then-Alabama assistant coach Yasir Rosemond said on tape, echoing just about everyone’s sentiment”

*This was public info before we hired Coach Ya

Why our school will bury their heads in the sand about all that but be afraid to hire Pearl, despite the fact that he has a positive reputation in Indiana and plenty of people to vouch for him is puzzling. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Nothing Bama has ever done, sorry... nothing ANY school has ever done in terms of "cheating" has ever bothered me. 

We should cheat more/be better at it. And not turn ourselves in when it happens lol gotta be the dumbest shit I've ever heard. 

We don't have a moral high ground on anyone. 

I agree! I mean Kansas assistant coach was literally on tape promising Zion’s dad a house and assistant coaching spot. The fact is it’s pretty hard to cheat these days especially here with the NIL resources. Pearl honestly wouldn’t have a need or reason to cheat here because he can convince anyone to give him more NIL money. 

• Like 1