2023 SG Joey Hart Commits to pUKe

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So somebody floated IU interest just to what....make it look like a recruiting win for an Indiana kid? Seems like an Underwood move. 

Hart is actually visiting tomorrow and UK next weekend. Coyle was just off on the days. The visit is actually happening. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Kentucky has 7 players.  He wouldn’t be going to Kentucky if they had more players.  This is the issue nowadays.  Kids are being pushed down and filling spots late in the process.  Kentucky has missed out on a ton of prospects and lost their starting shooting guard.  They are hurting for players.  

I loveI IT😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Kentucky has 7 players.  He wouldn’t be going to Kentucky if they had more players.  This is the issue nowadays.  Kids are being pushed down and filling spots late in the process.  Kentucky has missed out on a ton of prospects and lost their starting shooting guard.  They are hurting for players.  

Yet I’m sure they will be ranked in the top 10 at the start of the next season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Hart is actually visiting tomorrow and UK next weekend. Coyle was just off on the days. The visit is actually happening. 

He’s been here before too. Not saying we win this because he will certainly have more opportunities to play with UK down recruits but we have a lot more history with the kid. Grew up just down the road.

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't believe we offered him originally, nor did many power programs, so what's changed? Did he blow up this year? Or is it just that he's one of the few remaining available talents?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/reports-iu-basketball-expected-to-get-visit-from-2023-in-state-guard-joey-hart/

Apparently only had offers from mid-majors the first time around.  He is trying to parlay his big senior season (23 ppg and 41% from 3) into bigger offers.

• Like 1

When he committed to UCF:

Johnny Dawkins on Hart:

"He's a very mature player. I loved his work ethic. He's a gym rat. He wants to get better. He's a tough kid. He knows what he's doing out there. He doesn't back down. Competes. I really like that about him. I saw it when we were following him in the summers. He just has a great ability, in that moment, you can always count on him. He seems to always step up and make the play that needs to be made. Just very excited and very fortunate we were able to get him."

• Like 1

I like Hart as a shooter but giving an Indiana kid a scholarship and then telling them to hit the road the next season or two is pretty rough if he doesn’t workout. Not saying this would happen, there’s just a bunch of 2024 and 2025 kids available. If he ends up being another Leal, did we really gain anything at the guard position for four seasons ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I like Hart as a shooter but giving an Indiana kid a scholarship and then telling them to hit the road the next season or two is pretty rough if he doesn’t workout. Not saying this would happen, there’s just a bunch of 2024 and 2025 kids available. If he ends up being another Leal, did we really gain anything at the guard position for four seasons ?

Kid wants to compete…I feel confident in saying that. I would say if he doesn’t see the court nor looking like he would he would want to go play somewhere else. He wouldn’t sit on a scholarship for 4 years playing Leal type minutes. I think it’s a long shot just based on the log jam of young players we have already but he fits a niche. He can shoot, he is deceptively athletic, and he loves basketball….just think the opportunity at UK with their numbers would be hard to beat.

He's got good size and can jump too.  I am not sure about lateral quickness.  But he has a very good jumper with nice form and a quick release.  So many kids take a half hour to set up their shot.  Not Hart.  He can fill a role IMO.  I am surprised that schools like Iowa or NW didn't lock him up already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He's got good size and can jump too.  I am not sure about lateral quickness.  But he has a very good jumper with nice form and a quick release.  So many kids take a half hour to set up their shot.  Not Hart.  He can fill a role IMO.  I am surprised that schools like Iowa or NW didn't lock him up already.

He's rated about the same as Ryan Cline, who also had only mid-major offers other than PU. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sheeheyish 

Not sure he has that fire that Will had but I mean he certainly is a better ball player than probably his rankings suggest. Add a year of strength and conditioning…toughening up. He is going to make a good player somewhere. 

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here are some highlights from HS this year. Stuff on the front page is a little old. Just figured I’d share.

He has more bounce than I thought.  Takes it to the rim with confidence too. Good size and great shot.  If our coaches think he can guard to their requirements,  he has some nice tools. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Lots of evidence that the 12th & 13th scholarship don't get a lot of minutes except in blowouts.  Maybe Hart is that kid and maybe, like Trey Galloway, he surprises a lot of people at the school he selects.  I don't know the answer beyond what I've heard constantly from my Linton friend.  He thinks he can play at the high D-1 level.  I think he's very biased.  Within the next four years we'll know.  I do expect him to be better than Khristian Lander, as sad as that seems now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I do expect him to be better than Khristian Lander, as sad as that seems now.

Talk about a kid being mis-rated. He appeared in 33 games for WKU last year and shot 10-49 from 2pt range. He shot 57% from the FT line. He did shoot 38% from 3. His fouls per 40 were 6.1. Jeesh. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Talk about a kid being mis-rated. He appeared in 33 games for WKU last year and shot 10-49 from 2pt range. He shot 57% from the FT line. He did shoot 38% from 3. His fouls per 40 were 6.1. Jeesh. 

Some of it is overhype…but a lot of it is between ears. Kids seem to go one of two ways. They hit adversity and push through to try to excel or they back down and pull in. Confidence can take a hit or even they just lose passion and motivation. Something that they think they always wanted sometimes turns out to be something their father always wanted or changes. I think not just Archie and IU but even us fans were desperate for an answer. I hope we didn’t ruin this kid by the decision to leave HS early and rob him of his senior year with classmates etc…I think it’s also a problem with rating systems as they also seem to always over rate for potential instead of what a kid really is now. Lander was always heavily rated on the potential but he just could never get there.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Some of it is overhype…but a lot of it is between ears. Kids seem to go one of two ways. They hit adversity and push through to try to excel or they back down and pull in. Confidence can take a hit or even they just lose passion and motivation. Something that they think they always wanted sometimes turns out to be something their father always wanted or changes. I think not just Archie and IU but even us fans were desperate for an answer. I hope we didn’t ruin this kid by the decision to leave HS early and rob him of his senior year with classmates etc…I think it’s also a problem with rating systems as they also seem to always over rate for potential instead of what a kid really is now. Lander was always heavily rated on the potential but he just could never get there.

Yeah, the reclass was a terrible decision. The kid was 6'2 and weighed 165 pounds. 

• Like 1