Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wish I could find a picture, but Reds reliever, the late Pedro Borbon, came out of the dogpile wearing a Mets hat... hilarious... 

And as I recall, once he realized his error he then proceeded to bite the cap!  He may even have ripped a bite out of it, but I'm not for certain on that.  LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SIAP! My former neighbor is a professor of Sports Management. One of the last sports discussions we had he showed me the quiz he gave his students more to generate conversation than to learn anything. It is supposedly the first recorded baseball box score. Do you know what it all means?
image.thumb.jpeg.7f056b80efd7d52ea349c46be7e61113.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching MLB Network Baseball seasons 1975.

Game 4 bottom of the 9th the Red Sox up 1 and Joe Morgan up as the winning run with two outs. Louis Teant pitching and the manager came out to take him out but Teant refused to come out. He got the last out on his 155th pitch . He ended up starting games 1,4 and 6 of the World Series 

Edited by IU Scott

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watching MLB Network Baseball seasons 1975.

Game 4 bottom of the 9th the Red Sox up 1 and Joe Morgan up as the winning run with two outs. Louis Teant pitching and the manager came out to take him out but Teant refused to come out. He got the last out on his 155th pitch . He ended up starting games 1,4 and 6 of the World Series 

Luis Tiant was a power pitcher in the 60s for the Indians... Over use damaged his shoulder and made him into the junk baller with the funky delivery that pitched in the 75 series...

Not a guy you want to hang your hat on for throwing a lot of pitches... 

Edited by IUFLA

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Luis Tiant was a power pitcher in the 60s for the Indians... Over use damaged his shoulder and made him into the junk baller with the funky delivery that pitched in the 75 series...

Not a guy you want to hang your hat on for throwing a lot of pitches... 

Well even after the injuries he still won 18 games and throwing a lot of pitches. Just think babying pitchers don't prevent injuries.

Also watched the one about 1974 and Mike Marshall made 106 relief appearances and 208 innings. Most starters don't throw that many innings today

Edited by IU Scott

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

image.png.af784ff8ff0030022254be7b84511765.png

Ernie Banks, Ron Santo and Billy Williams return to the dugout after a home run by Banks at a game at Wrigley Field, 1969

!969 was a great year for New York sports fans.

Joe Willie Namath leading the Jets to a Super Bowl, Willis Reed leading the Knicks and Tom Seaver leading the Miracle Mets to a World Series....

Good times