Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

On 5/2/2023 at 9:54 AM, IUFLA said:

Best player not in the HoF... And had the cool look before any others...

FFxkYmrXEAMMzgo.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.a7dc33c2a1d5a614336fd49fad6f1df6.jpg

Dick Allen scared me EVERY time he came up to bat.  It was very similar to the fear that Willie McCovey evoked when he came up. Allen could whip that 40 ounce bat like it was made of plastic.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On this day 75 years ago, the great Satchel Paige made his Major League debut at 42 years old...

Screenshot_20230707-171224.thumb.png.c49c58bf7812c1ee80f55a8197222165.png

Sad that he had to wait that long... Satchel helped the Indians to the 1948 American League pennant and a World Series title with a 6-1 record and a 2.48 ERA...

Dizzy Dean once said after he and Paige had faced off in a barnstorming game, “if Old Satchel and I played together, we’d clinch the pennant by the Fourth of July and go fishin’ until the World Series. Between us we’d win sixty games.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IUFLA said:

On this day 75 years ago, the great Satchel Paige made his Major League debut at 42 years old...

Screenshot_20230707-171224.thumb.png.c49c58bf7812c1ee80f55a8197222165.png

Sad that he had to wait that long... Satchel helped the Indians to the 1948 American League pennant and a World Series title with a 6-1 record and a 2.48 ERA...

Dizzy Dean once said after he and Paige had faced off in a barnstorming game, “if Old Satchel and I played together, we’d clinch the pennant by the Fourth of July and go fishin’ until the World Series. Between us we’d win sixty games.”

Ahhh, yes.   Dizzy destroyed the English language as a baseball broadcaster, but no one really cared too much back then when he'd state plainly that the batter looked "mighty hitterish".   😊  Im old enough to remember listening to the late Waite Hoyt, of Yankee fame, telling stories during rain delays of Dizzy, the Babe, and others.  What great baseball history.  😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Ahhh, yes.   Dizzy destroyed the English language as a baseball broadcaster, but no one really cared too much back then when he'd state plainly that the batter looked "mighty hitterish".   😊  Im old enough to remember listening to the late Waite Hoyt, of Yankee fame, telling stories during rain delays of Dizzy, the Babe, and others.  What great baseball history.  😊

First play by play combo I remember is Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese...

"He slud into third safe." 

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere on this board for cards/collectibles. For some reason I can't find. Even though it's the wrong sport what would you do? 

Doing some cleaning out of the garage and found about 15 unopened packs of these beauties to go along with 2-3 unopened boxes of baseball cards.

The one in this photo is 1981. Holy Grail of NFL. Even though Montana was drafted in 79 his rookie card didn't make the debut until 1981. Open or just save for a rainy day?

IMG_6120.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, Seeking6 said:

I'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere on this board for cards/collectibles. For some reason I can't find. Even though it's the wrong sport what would you do? 

Doing some cleaning out of the garage and found about 15 unopened packs of these beauties to go along with 2-3 unopened boxes of baseball cards.

The one in this photo is 1981. Holy Grail of NFL. Even though Montana was drafted in 79 his rookie card didn't make the debut until 1981. Open or just save for a rainy day?

IMG_6120.jpg

I would have to open it.  The not knowing would drive me crazy.  Best to get the thrill or disappointment over with is my motto.

• Like 2

IMG_6120.jpg

Don't open them.

BTW  

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

IMG_6120.jpg

Unopen pack 1981 Topps Football is $129.00. on ebay. A gem mint 1981 Montana is $60,000. OH what to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Unopen pack 1981 Topps Football is $129.00. on ebay. A gem mint 1981 Montana is $60,000. OH what to do.

Is that the one with a PSA of 10? I didn't realize the unopened packs went for that much. Have about 15 of them....oh what to do. I've kept them along with other collectibles (Star Wars stuff, baseball cards,etc...) because my Mom had a great eye for buying things early and hold. 

She died unexpectedly in 1985 and I've always felt like I just can't bring myself to sell or open them. Kind of stupid I know.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Is that the one with a PSA of 10? I didn't realize the unopened packs went for that much. Have about 15 of them....oh what to do. I've kept them along with other collectibles (Star Wars stuff, baseball cards,etc...) because my Mom had a great eye for buying things early and hold. 

She died unexpectedly in 1985 and I've always felt like I just can't bring myself to sell or open them. Kind of stupid I know.

The Star wars stuff is way more valuable than the cards I'm guessing. Not knowing what you have. Yes a PSA 10 is $60,000. Only a handful out there. A Raw not graded sells for $300. A PSA 10 sold in March for 87,000. A PSA 9 sells from $1,500 to $2200. Huge drop off due to numbers out there. Leave them sealed. A couple more years you'll get $500 a pack. Hell you might get that now because there are none up for sale right now after looking deeper into it.

I'll only charge you 3 packs for the research...:coffee:

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

As a Reds fan, they made a lot of bad trades during the BRM era.  They won a couple of WS so people tend to forget the Hal McRaes, Mike Caldwells, and Ross Grimsleys.  These go along with Frank Robinson and Tony Perez.

From a Cubs fan, 3 words...

Brock for Broglio 😮 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1