Vintage baseball

Steubenhoosier

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

IIRC that one was on national tv...like a Saturday game of the week. Cubs were down 9-3 I think...but what he did to Bruce was the day Sandberg became my legend and to this day still my favorite Cub of all time. 

My oldest daughter was about a month and a half old when that game was played. First time my wife went mall shopping with her Mom and left me at home with our brand new baby.

I always tell my oldest, she cooperated nicely that day, and that game is probably the reason she's a diehard Cub fan 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My oldest daughter was about a month and a half old when that game was played. First time my wife went mall shopping with her Mom and left me at home with our brand new baby.

I always tell my oldest, she cooperated nicely that day, and that game is probably the reason she's a diehard Cub fan 🙂

Because the Cardinals were King....that was almost like the turning point of that team/season saying we can play and beat the best. I can see visions of beer flying in the bleachers after the first one.....the second one everybody was going insane. 

One of the very few Cub moments in the 80's where all know exactly where we were at for that one. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because the Cardinals were King....that was almost like the turning point of that team/season saying we can play and beat the best. I can see visions of beer flying in the bleachers after the first one.....the second one everybody was going insane. 

One of the very few Cub moments in the 80's where all know exactly where we were at for that one. 

Yes it was...I think it was only a week before that, the Cubs had traded for Rick Sutcliffe...

That was one great year...coulda been better, but a lot of fun...

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, Seeking6 said:

IIRC that one was on national tv...like a Saturday game of the week. Cubs were down 9-3 I think...but what he did to Bruce was the day Sandberg became my legend and to this day still my favorite Cub of all time. 

Is that you on top of the dugout at the 3:30 mark?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:56 PM, IUFLA said:

Yes it was...I think it was only a week before that, the Cubs had traded for Rick Sutcliffe...

That was one great year...coulda been better, but a lot of fun...

In my mind I will always think it was a mistake giving up Joe Carter and Mel Hall for Rick.  I realize the Cubs won the division but...

12 minutes ago, rico said:

In my mind I will always think it was a mistake giving up Joe Carter and Mel Hall for Rick.  I realize the Cubs won the division but...

Carter was a big piece to give up... Cleveland wasn't going to take Henry Cotto for Sut...

But, it is what it is...84 was a fun year until Garvey's HR and Leon Durham's fatal error... Sutcliffe carried us to the playoffs for the first time since 1945, so although I wish we'd have gotten a shot at the Tigers (and I'm sure we'd have put up more of a battle than the Padres did), still have fond memories of that summer...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Big haul for the Tribe for sure but just in 16 when Theo made the move for Chapman....sometimes you just have to do it. I think Rick was 16-1 with us and changed the entire starting pitching. 

Like @IUFLA said....if it wasn't for a dumba-- Garvey dong or Durham's error the Cubs would have been in WS. I'll never be mad at a GM going for it in a given year. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Big haul for the Tribe for sure but just in 16 when Theo made the move for Chapman....sometimes you just have to do it. I think Rick was 16-1 with us and changed the entire starting pitching. 

Like @IUFLA said....if it wasn't for a dumba-- Garvey dong or Durham's error the Cubs would have been in WS. I'll never be mad at a GM going for it in a given year. 

I get all that and understand it completely.  But I wonder what the Cubs would have been if they had Carter, Hall, Pat Tabler, and Scott Fletcher.  Just thoughts from a baseball fan.  LOL

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 3:25 PM, rico said:

I get all that and understand it completely.  But I wonder what the Cubs would have been if they had Carter, Hall, Pat Tabler, and Scott Fletcher.  Just thoughts from a baseball fan.  LOL

Pitching has always been the Cubs Achilles Heel though...

I keep waiting on Mike Harkey to have his breakout year...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pitching has always been the Cubs Achilles Heel though...

I keep waiting on Mike Harkey to have his breakout year...

Which is why I'll never forget how we torched Prior, Wood, and Zambrano arms. We finally had our version of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz and in a way only the Cubs could do it we destroyed that in short order. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Which is why I'll never forget how we torched Prior, Wood, and Zambrano arms. We finally had our version of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz and in a way only the Cubs could do it we destroyed that in short order. 

I've always thought that @IU Scott was either Dusty Baker or Billy Martin reincarnated 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1