IU @ Maryland Pre-Game

rico

I think there's a lot of doom and gloom based on our collective past experience as IU football fans (and as a lifelong fan, I get it), but this will be, in my opinion, the second easiest game we've played this year, so let that sink in a little bit.

Take a look at WKU - we are tied with MSU as holding them to their fewest points this season, and we did it in a night game/record attendance atmosphere setting - it was the game they all had circled on their calendar.  They've also only lost to undefeated MSU, undefeated UTSA, Army (triple option anyone?), and us.  I think a lot fans' dread stems from how close this game was, but WKU is a really good team, and we withstood their best shot.

Our offense has been very lackluster, but you also have to consider that 4 out of 6 games this year have been against some of the best defenses in the country.  That goes for the o-line, too.  They've definitely been our biggest problem, but they've also spent the majority of this season's games going up against teams that 1) are known for having great line play, and 2) up until recently have run circles around us in recruiting.  

We've also had the sheer bad luck to play teams at their peak.  Open with OSU, and play PSU/Iowa this week, and I think those games, if not wins, look a lot more competitive.

With the gameplan centered around McCulley, and him taking first team snaps this week, don't be surprised if he looks like much more effective than last weekend.

In short, what I'm saying is that we have glaring problems on offense, but it still doesn't mean we are doomed the rest of the season.  If we play to the same level we did against Cincy and MSU, we beat Maryland, Rutgers, and Minnesota pretty comfortable.  The Bucket Game is always a toss-up, though.  Good chance that game is played with IU and Purdue both 5-7.

Edit:  Just looked it up, WKU is #2 (#2!) in total offense.   Guess who's #1...

Edited by rogue3542
  • Like 2

This caught my eye..... I found this at the end of an article on Peegs today. We will see. I just hope it's not too late.

A shakeup may finally happen this Saturday in Maryland.

10COMMENTS

Michigan transfer Zach Carpenter (So./center/guard), Aidan Rafferty (Jr./tackle), Tim Weaver (So./guard), Charlie O'Connor (Jr./center) and Randy Holtz (RS Fr/tackle) are reserve linemen that did see some on the field action against Ohio State.

"Just going through [the film], I felt like even just watching it again, we're going to go through and look at even just some -- making some -- if we have to make some movements there to get some other guys involved and just to be able to address as guys continue to develop throughout the season," Allen said.

• Like 1

I take ZERO credit for the post below, but I thought it is an absolute microcosm to the current state of our offense. I just thought it was short, to the point, transparent and brutally honest.

So the problem with the offense was that they were facing 3rd and 12 rather that 3rd and 2. Going backward on first down is bad. Everyone needs to play better. Looks like the problems are solved!

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I take ZERO credit for the post below, but I thought it is an absolute microcosm to the current state of our offense. I just thought it was short, to the point, transparent and brutally honest.

So the problem with the offense was that they were facing 3rd and 12 rather that 3rd and 2. Going backward on first down is bad. Everyone needs to play better. Looks like the problems are solved!

We are never 2nd and 5/6....we are CONSTANTLY 2nd and 11 or worse. 

• Like 1

Its been said for a hundred years and it's no different today. It all starts up front. Where we have sucked this year. couple that with injuries horrible play calling at times and a lot of big injuries and horrible officiating and no way IU or 85% of college football teams overcome those problems.  My only question, is something else going on in that locker room?  

Losing to top 10 teams isn’t what’s embarrassing! Scoring what 35 total points in  4 Big Ten games is! Our offense is a total joke! 
Realistic if you were a promising QB, would you come to Indiana to get your brains beat out because we can’t block! Are a running back why would you come here! 
Our  only chance is to finish strong with a Freshman who looked lost and a walk on QB. I have a feeling the OL will get these guys hurt also. 

• Sad 1

On 10/27/2021 at 8:10 AM, Artesian_86 said:

This caught my eye..... I found this at the end of an article on Peegs today. We will see. I just hope it's not too late.

A shakeup may finally happen this Saturday in Maryland.

10COMMENTS

Michigan transfer Zach Carpenter (So./center/guard), Aidan Rafferty (Jr./tackle), Tim Weaver (So./guard), Charlie O'Connor (Jr./center) and Randy Holtz (RS Fr/tackle) are reserve linemen that did see some on the field action against Ohio State.

"Just going through [the film], I felt like even just watching it again, we're going to go through and look at even just some -- making some -- if we have to make some movements there to get some other guys involved and just to be able to address as guys continue to develop throughout the season," Allen said.

So, is it the X's and O's or the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, is it the X's and O's or the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

Definitely both come into the equation. Our recruiting could be better, but it isn't like it's been pathetic either.  When every person on an experienced line is terrible, and there are no backups who are better, that's a coaching issue. All of the other guys listed as getting time have been in the program for 2 or 3 years except for Carpenter, so it isn't like they're talented and just needed time to get used to the system. Currently on the team, 0 out of 22 OL listed on the roster are currently playing at a B1G caliber.

Speaking of Carpenter, that one just confuses the hell out of me. How do you go from starting at Michigan to not starting for maybe the worst line in P5? Like, what are we seeing or what did we do that's making that happen. In the past, I'd say "the coaches have reasons." With seeing how bad the OL is now, did we try to really change him and mess him up? Maybe it's nothing, but it's a real head scratcher with how terrible the rest of the OL has been.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oh what a  difference a few weeks make. By Friday the pre game thread would have a lot of pages but it seems like we are back to being Indiana Football

Team just needs a win tomorrow in the worst way. I don't care what it looks like just win. 5 games left....4 wins is the goal. All starts tomorrow. I'm curious what changes we'll see upfront and from Sheridan. Maryland gives up 30 a game and 400 yards. If we don't score tomorrow....we need to start looking for a new OC.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oh what a  difference a few weeks make. By Friday the pre game thread would have a lot of pages but it seems like we are back to being Indiana Football

Yep. I was an undergrad at IU in the ‘70’s and this was by far the most excited I have been for the start of a season in decades. It was also great to see how fired up the students were. As always I’ll watch every single minute but the air is definitely out of the ballon and I’m thinking a lot about hoops.  No doubt our schedule has been incredibly brutal but with even an average offense we would have beaten Cincy and MSU and while I did not expect us to beat IA/PSU/OSU I did not think we would be totally dominated with no shot of remotely being a threat in the 4th quarter.  Hopefully we win tomorrow as a 3-9 type of season will damper the momentum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was thinking the same thing! If we can some how win 4 of the last 5 maybe we can save a little excitement for the program! Even that would not change the fact that Hiller and Sheridan at least Hiller needs to be replaced! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

BGleas, what do you think , I know in my heart I want another bowl game , but what do you think ! I think it’s a long shot !

I just don't see it happening. I know IU has had an absolute monster of a schedule, but it's tough when you've been so disappointed as a player during a season to just all of the sudden turn it around and go on a 4 out of 5 run. 

Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers and Purdue are all beatable for sure, but I struggle to see a 2-5 going in a run like that. 

It's not impossible though, but it has to begin tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just don't see it happening. I know IU has had an absolute monster of a schedule, but it's tough when you've been so disappointed as a player during a season to just all of the sudden turn it around and go on a 4 out of 5 run. 

Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers and Purdue are all beatable for sure, but I struggle to see a 2-5 going in a run like that. 

It's not impossible though, but it has to begin tomorrow. 

Tomorrow will be really interesting to see. I wouldn't be surprised if we come out with a lot of energy. Sometimes when you've been knocked down a bunch and see the other guy getting tired (easier schedule), it can give you more motivation. You know you've already taken their best shot.

On the other hand, with how poorly we've looked in a lot of games so far, what you said wouldn't surprise me either. Our defense can only stay focused for so long when our offense does nothing and forces the defense to go right back out. At some point, if the offense doesn't get better, you'd have to think those guys on defense will really get beat down emotionally. 

22 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Tomorrow will be really interesting to see. I wouldn't be surprised if we come out with a lot of energy. Sometimes when you've been knocked down a bunch and see the other guy getting tired (easier schedule), it can give you more motivation. You know you've already taken their best shot.

On the other hand, with how poorly we've looked in a lot of games so far, what you said wouldn't surprise me either. Our defense can only stay focused for so long when our offense does nothing and forces the defense to go right back out. At some point, if the offense doesn't get better, you'd have to think those guys on defense will really get beat down emotionally. 

So, this really boils down to whether LEO is real or not. If it is, the defense will pick up the slack and whatever limitations we have on offense will be overlooked. 
Any player with any amount of pride will not allow themselves to be “beat down” in any way. 

I have trust in McFadden to make sure that his side of the ball does not give up, and continues to play at a high level 

• Like 2