'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Unbelievable that they missed the foul on the guy who eventually got punched. That was borderline worth getting disqualified just on the rebound scuffle. Then to not quickly T him up as he got in the guy's face was just astonishing. Are you somehow okay just because your arms are in the air?

I was also quite amused at how the ref quickly went to try to separate players and then realized that a very large man was pissed, so the ref went to restrain a guard who clearly wasn't involved.

So I view that play very differently....

Yes, obvious foul on the rebound but I don't see how that is anything beyond a common foul. Not being combative, but what exactly did you see there to say it is borderline worth an ejection? I don't see anything above the shoulders, no wildly swinging arms, no non-basketball plays... What did you see?

The getting in the face is not at all how I see that. I see a guy trying to go play offense and the defender/puncher standing in his way. That is 100% on the guy who threw the punch IMO. Is he supposed to just not go play offense?

My take away is the guy who got punched got away with a foul, then the player who punched escalated the situation, eventually threw a punch because he gave a guy no where to go other than into him, then the guy who got punched continued to go after him. I'd say guy who got punched was rightfully ejected, I'm not super sure on the suspension for him, I still don't really get what he did that warrants that, and the guy who did the punching should be done for the year at minimum.

But open to other interpretations of that play if I'm missing something. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Rifin Miguel, 23 years old, 6'9" 240 lbs wanted to play stupid games(not basketball) and won a stupid prize.  

Pruitt, decided his season was over in true gangster fashion.  

Yes, and we have no idea what Miguel was saying to Pruitt. They both acted like punks. Then Pruitt ran away after throwing the punch. 

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, obvious foul on the rebound but I don't see how that is anything beyond a common foul. Not being combative, but what exactly did you see there to say it is borderline worth an ejection? I don't see anything above the shoulders, no wildly swinging arms, no non-basketball plays... What did you see?

The getting in the face is not at all how I see that. I see a guy trying to go play offense and the defender/puncher standing in his way. That is 100% on the guy who threw the punch IMO. Is he supposed to just not go play offense?

My take away is the guy who got punched got away with a foul, then the player who punched escalated the situation, eventually threw a punch because he gave a guy no where to go other than into him, then the guy who got punched continued to go after him. I'd say guy who got punched was rightfully ejected, I'm not super sure on the suspension for him, I still don't really get what he did that warrants that, and the guy who did the punching should be done for the year at minimum.

Miguel backed the dude down from the top of the key to almost half court.  Didn't look like he was interested in playing offense to me. 

Plenty of time to break it off and get down the court. 

Edited by mrflynn03

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Miguel backed the dude down from the top of the key to almost half court.  Didn't look like he was interested in playing offense to me. 

Plenty of time to break it off and get down the court. 

One guy was going in the right direction, one guy was going in the wrong direction. We are blaming the guy going in the right direction because the guy going in the wrong direction hit him, because the guy going in the right direction didn't go around him when the puncher got in front of him aggressively. That is what we're saying here, right?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

One guy was going in the right direction, one guy was going in the wrong direction. We are blaming the guy going in the right direction because the guy going in the wrong direction hit him, because the guy going in the right direction didn't go around him when the puncher got in front of him aggressively. That is what we're saying here, right?

You have a strange outlook on life if you think Miguel wasn’t initiating the conflict?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No. They both failed at de- escalating the situation.  There is no basketball reason for staying in contact in the open court the way they did. Either one could have peeled away. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

No. They both failed at de- escalating the situation.  There is no basketball reason for staying in contact in the open court they way they did. Either one could have peeled away. 

Have you ever heard of escalation of force?

Got more than a couple of times were I had to de-escalate! One time was a guy threatening my friends, stepped in  and he realized I wasn’t sheet. He threatened to go get his gun!

We ended up shaking hands, albeit I was watching over my shoulder the rest of the night!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Got more than a couple of times were I had to de-escalate! One time was a guy threatening my friends, stepped in  and he realized I wasn’t sheet. He threatened to go get his gun!

We ended up shaking hands, albeit I was watching over my shoulder the rest of the night!

There was a time I trained with my cousin in hapkido, and jui jitsu. Learning to avoid confrontation became a necessity.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There was a time I trained with my cousin in hapkido, and jui jitsu. Learning to avoid confrontation became a necessity.  

But did they teach you how to kiss? One night my Harley friend and I were out. It was close quarters, my friend and the guy at the next table sitting shoulder to shoulder started arguing. I realized if I didn’t do something we were going out to the alley! Don’t know what came over me, but I leaned over and grabbed my Harley friend by the cheeks and planted one on him! Suddenly things de-escalated!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Man, I don't know what you're seeing there. I certainly agree the puncher was the worst offender, by far. But, on the shot, the dude wasn't going for a rebound he just cross-checked him. Then he got his forearm into the eventual puncher's face. It seemed clearly intentional. If I'm making the rules of basketball, I don't eject him at that point, but it's close and I've seen a lot less lead to an ejection. Right before the big guy put his arms up, he had plenty of room to step to his left. He instead stepped straight into the puncher and brought his arms down on top of him - he was not respecting the cylinder. Maybe the eventual puncher deserved a T at that point, too, it's hard to say from when that replay starts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Man, I don't know what you're seeing there. I certainly agree the puncher was the worst offender, by far. But, on the shot, the dude wasn't going for a rebound he just cross-checked him. Then he got his forearm into the eventual puncher's face. It seemed clearly intentional. If I'm making the rules of basketball, I don't eject him at that point, but it's close and I've seen a lot less lead to an ejection. Right before the big guy put his arms up, he had plenty of room to step to his left. He instead stepped straight into the puncher and brought his arms down on top of him - he was not respecting the cylinder. Maybe the eventual puncher deserved a T at that point, too, it's hard to say from when that replay starts.

Yeah he cross checked him/bodied him/fouled him on the rebound. It was a hard foul but nothing to rise above a common foul.

Where I really disagree is when the play is moving to the other end of the court why is there any onus on the guy going from A to B instead of the guy standing in his way, doing the opposite of what he is supposed to be doing, and then eventually punching him?

Miquel could have gone around him, but also it’s pretty reasonable to think someone isn’t going to stop in your way and then eventually punch you because you’re trying to go through them to where you’re supposed to be. If the puncher retreats to play defense none of that happens. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

No. They both failed at de- escalating the situation.  There is no basketball reason for staying in contact in the open court the way they did. Either one could have peeled away. 

I can show you videos of our bigs with their arms up continuing to press forward to the opposite end of the court in a similar situation.

You want TJD to be so easily stopped you can just stand in front of him in the backcourt? Or trying to get to his spot on offense and you just get in his way so he stops?

Yeah, he leaned into. Why the hell was the puncher there to begin with?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can show you videos of our bigs with their arms up continuing to press forward to the opposite end of the court in a similar situation.

You want TJD to be so easily stopped you can just stand in front of him in the backcourt? Or trying to get to his spot on offense and you just get in his way so he stops?

Yeah, he leaned into. Why the hell was the puncher there to begin with?

Some of this discussion has turned to how to de-escalate. I have no idea how to de-escalate over the internet @KoB2011????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Did you not see him run into the post and blast the guy to start the while thing?  The conference blamed him for starting it too.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Did you not see him run into the post and blast the guy to start the while thing?  The conference blamed him for starting it too.  

Yeah, I saw it and have said it was a hard foul. I don’t really see how that rises beyond a hard, common foul. What am I missing on it?

I disagree with the conference unless there is more there. That’s a completely unreasonable reaction to a hard foul IMO.

That said, I don’t have a problem with Miquel getting ejected, I’m just not really seeing the suspension. Although it may be an automatic thing if you’re ejected for being a participant in a fight (he never through a punch or made any physical contact outside of a hard foul, but I digress). 

• Like 1