'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

7th grade shop teacher at Martinsville Junior High (they only had one then) in the early 70s was a guy named Claude Marsh... Big, heavyset fella that was around 70 himself, and wore hearing aids...

First project was to make your own paddle, paint graphics on it that read "MJHS 1969-70” and stain and lacquer it. Then you hung it on the wall, waiting for the day you ran afoul of old Claude so he could beat your hind end with your own paddle 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Man, we are seeing so many kids getting techs on players than ever before.  I rarely saw players in college argue with refs when I was younger. The coaches had a little more control of their team and it was coaches who got on the officials.

I think it's far less about players now or this generation, and far more about the generation in charge (people 40-60 give or take) putting ridiculous rules in place. 

Players have always played with emotion, conversed with referees, etc.etc. 

But anyone that has watched more then 5 minutes of college basketball this season can tell that officials are calling absolutely absurd technical fouls oftentimes. 

Heck, IU has had a player get a technical for giving the ball to a ref. There was a game where a player got a technical for pointing to his dad in the crowd. 

It's way more about the people in charge then anything different the players are doing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think it's far less about players now or this generation, and far more about the generation in charge (people 40-60 give or take) putting ridiculous rules in place. 

But anyone that has watched more then 5 minutes of college basketball this season can tell that officials are calling absolutely absurd technical fouls oftentimes. 

Heck, IU has had a player get a technical for giving the ball to a ref. There was a game where a player got a technical for pointing to his dad in the crowd. 

It's way more about the people in charge then anything different the players are doing. 

Amen to this. Always reminds me of the Bob Knight interview on David Letterman talking about kids/parents. Knight always said (and I agree) it's the parents problem.

In terms of officials. The pressure these kids are on at fish bowl programs....I'd let almost everything go. Maybe I'm the problem or solution. Just like everything in our world it's the echo chamber you live in will decide what's right or wrong...or what a person agrees with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Maybe it is because I grew up watching IU and none of our players talked to the refs at all under RMK.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe it is because I grew up watching IU and none of our players talked to the refs at all under RMK.

I highly, highly doubt that. 

Again, we had a kid get a technical for giving the ball to the ref. This is way more about the adults then the kids. 

I talked to refs all game long when I played in college in the 90's. It was one of favorite parts of the game. Never got a technical for it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I highly, highly doubt that. 

Again, we had a kid get a technical for giving the ball to the ref. This is way more about the adults then the kids. 

I talked to refs all game long when I played in college in the 90's. It was one of favorite parts of the game. Never got a technical for it. 

I am not totally blaming the kids because our generation got soft and allow kids to do what they want without consequences.  I am sure they may talked with officials but don't remember many techs if any.

I am not totally blaming the kids because our generation got soft and allow kids to do what they want without consequences.  I am sure they may talked with officials but don't remember many techs if any.

What do you mean "without consequences"? Refs are tossing out technicals and flagrants like they're candy in college basketball these days. 

• Like 1

It looks like the pre season #1 team UNC won't he making the tournament. They lose 62-57 to Duke. Can't remember seeing Duke and UNC have so much trouble scoring like most of this year. I guess that just because you get hot for 3 weeks doesn't translate to being a great team. They had 4 starters back from a runner up team but there was a reason they were an 8th seed.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

What do you mean "without consequences"? Refs are tossing out technicals and flagrants like they're candy in college basketball these days. 

Saying while growing up they are allowed to act however they want without many consequences. They get older and get into college they think they can do the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Duke sweeps Carolina. Someone who knows Carolina better. Didn't they return like majority of their starters? Has to be a first or very small crowd of a team who was preseason #1 and maybe not make tourney??

Well they got hit for 3 weeks last year but was just an average team throughout the year 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Saying while growing up they are allowed to act however they want without many consequences. They get older and get into college they think they can do the same thing. 

But again, there doing almost nothing different, they're getting called for technicals for absurd reasons most of the time. 

• Like 1

Why I started this in the first place was the UK and Arkansas game and the players were out of hand. 

I didn't see the game, so will take your word for it. 

I just know in watching a lot of college basketball and seeing a lot of technicals this season, I'd say 90% of them were just absurd technicals because of stupid "areas of emphasis" put in by the adults that run college basketball, not the players that play the game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Duke sweeps Carolina. Someone who knows Carolina better. Didn't they return like majority of their starters? Has to be a first or very small crowd of a team who was preseason #1 and maybe not make tourney??

Hubert Davis trending on Twitter...and not in a good way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is not true.

There are much, much harsher consequences now than there ever were before for acting like an idiot. Those consequences also follow kids for the rest of their lives these days.

I'd also argue there is really no difference in the number of good parents out there now compared to "back in the day." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Hubert Davis trending on Twitter...and not in a good way.

We see it with Patrick Ewing. Saw it with Chris Mullins. Hire one of your own and it's a tough you need to go process. Not saying Hubert has to go after a national title run last year but man. Has to be up there in the never in a million years saw this one coming category. 

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This is not true.

There are much, much harsher consequences now than there ever were before for acting like an idiot. Those consequences also follow kids for the rest of their lives these days.

I'd also argue there is really no difference in the number of good parents out there now compared to "back in the day." 

I don't know where my "permanent record" is, but there's a lot of stuff on it, or so I was told 😉

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This is not true.

You definitely can't punish kids like you could in the past in schools

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We see it with Patrick Ewing. Saw it with Chris Mullins. Hire one of your own and it's a tough you need to go process. Not saying Hubert has to go after a national title run last year but man. Has to be up there in the never in a million years saw this one coming category. 

I thought it was so easy for blue bloods to replace legends

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

When I was in grade school I saw kids paddled for not doing their homework. That was after I transferred to public school. Catholic school was tougher. I had a nun knock me out of my seat once. 

That shouldn't happened but I got paddled in elementary school and it taught me a lesson. There is a difference between punishment and abuse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That shouldn't happened but I got paddled in elementary school and it taught me a lesson. There is a difference between punishment and abuse.

You don't need to hit kids to discipline them. Just because it was done in your day doesn't mean it was better or that people were better behaved. Norms and rules shift generationally. What looked like "correct" behavior when you were a kid is not the same as today.

Also, I'm speaking as a former teacher. The kids that want to be there and pay attention for the most part will behave. The kids that don't, won't. Smacking them with a paddle will not change that. In fact, it will only deepen their resentment and derision.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This part of your argument I'd beg to differ on.  I think the quality of parenting has suffered considerably with more one parent households and my anecdotal observations that each generation of parents seem to be more and more permissive with less discipline.  With parenting trending downward, it's hard to expect the kids to be better.

Plenty of exceptions, but yeah...I sense a trend.

• Thanks 1

This came from watching the UK and Arkansas saw game because I'm the game there were like 5 techs on players. One Arkansas player got two for arguing a call and got ejected 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sounds like he wouldn't have got ejected if he kept his mouth shut. 

He was called for his 3td foul so the two techs count as fouls as well so he also does out

This after Teshiebwe should have been ejected in the first few minutes of the game for throwing an elbow….. but miraculously was not thrown out. Not just Big10 officials that stink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1