'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not sure why they wouldn't move to D2 or D3, which is non-scholarship. A lot of small colleges (D2&D3) get a lot of their enrollment from student athletes, but they don't have to provide schollies. 

Apparently they don't want to spend the money to keep the athletics?

Just now, rico said:

Apparently they don't want to spend the money to keep the athletics?

I know, but enrollment and tuition revenue is a big challenge for these small schools. Having the teams helps to recruit student/athletes who will then pay tuition. Some of those kids will select a school that recruits them for athletics,  just because they don't want their athletic careers to end in high school. A lot of those D2 & D3 teams don't spend a lot on their athletic programs. They get donor support, don't pay their coaches a lot (some are part time) and travel in vans and buses. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

5th year senior from a very good family.  Horrible quote.  Idiotic thing to say.  Be grateful, be humble.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35906224/antoine-davis-feels-cheated-breaking-pete-maravich-ncaa-scoring-record

Kids, these days! Just to think some of these various NCAA player’s records were made before the 3 pt shot. 
….not that I believe this, but below is what someone calculated Pete’s numbers may be. Pretty lofty, but highly unlikely per game.

If Pete Maravich played with the current 3 point line during college, he would have averaged 57 PPG. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Kids, these days! Just to think some of these various NCAA player’s records were made before the 3 pt shot. 
If Pete Maravich played with the current 3 point line during college, he would have averaged 57 PPG. 

I have beach front property in Southern Indiana to sell anyone who believes Pete Maravich would have averaged half of that in the current game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have beach front property in Southern Indiana to sell anyone who believes Pete Maravich would have averaged half of that in the current game. 

Hum.  The game and athleticism has changed tremendously.  He did go on to score 24.2 points a game in the NBA against grown men over 12 years.  If Steph can be as prolific, I'd buy that Pete could too.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

5th year senior from a very good family.  Horrible quote.  Idiotic thing to say.  Be grateful, be humble.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35906224/antoine-davis-feels-cheated-breaking-pete-maravich-ncaa-scoring-record

Yeah, not a great take. However, after all the really ugly stuff directed toward Mike Davis, having people contact the CBI tourney to lobby against having Antoine break the record, I can see how it wouldn’t sit well. 

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hum.  The game and athleticism has changed tremendously.  He did go on to score 24.2 points a game in the NBA against grown men over 12 years.  If Steph can be as prolific, I'd buy that Pete could too.  

Yeah I think he could play in today's game, but I don't have a problem saying he couldn't score 28.5 PPG if you transferred college Pistol Pete into today's game. 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, not a great take. However, after all the really ugly stuff directed toward Mike Davis, having people contact the CBI tourney to lobby against having Antoine break the record, I can see how it wouldn’t sit well. 

I mean, they were terrible.  14-19.  No.  You didn't get cheated.  You weren't good enough.  Take your ball and go home.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think he could play in today's game, but I don't have a problem saying he couldn't score 28.5 PPG if you transferred college Pistol Pete into today's game. 

Honestly who knows.  Pete could fly and glide.  His highlights are totally insane, like unhuman.  Still to this day, no one as creative or capable of doing odd and wild things with the ball.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I mean, they were terrible.  14-19.  No.  You didn't get cheated.  You weren't good enough.  Take your ball and go home.  

No offense to him, his abilities and his game. IF,…he played in the BIGTEN, all that most likely would have been talked about was that he was a good bench player, nice shooter and former IU head coach, Mile Davis’ son. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly who knows.  Pete could fly and glide.  His highlights are totally insane, like unhuman.  Still to this day, no one as creative or capable of doing odd and wild things with the ball.  

Yeah I mean Pete was really good and would be today, too. We just haven't seen that 28.5 PPG number from a Power 5 conference since Glenn Robinson did it 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get that their record wasn't good. However, there were four teams in the CBI behind Det Mercy in the NET and two barely above.  The CBI is a buy-in tourney. Not saying DM belonged in, but the same could be said for some of the other pay to play teams. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I mean Pete was really good and would be today, too. We just haven't seen that 28.5 PPG number from a Power 5 conference since Glenn Robinson did it 30 years ago. 

I don't think we've seen someone shoot nearly 40 times a game on average, either.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is even worst

"We did receive unsolicited emails and voicemails about Detroit Mercy and some said we don't ever want Pete Maravich's record broken," said Rick Giles, president of the Gazelle Group that runs the CBI. "The decision we made wasn't based purely on whether we wanted him to break the record or not."

Shouldn't have been based at all on whether you want a record broke or not.  

• Like 1

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is even worst

"We did receive unsolicited emails and voicemails about Detroit Mercy and some said we don't ever want Pete Maravich's record broken," said Rick Giles, president of the Gazelle Group that runs the CBI. "The decision we made wasn't based purely on whether we wanted him to break the record or not."

Shouldn't have been based at all on whether you want a record broke or not.  

I'd say cheated is a poor word choice.  Maybe, hurt would have been better.  He wasn't entitled to it and saying cheated sounds that way.  If he had said hurt, it would have laid all the focus on these idiots that let that sway them in any way shape or form.  But Louisiana,  yikes, some of those people make UK fans look like movie stars and super models.  Some straight line gene pools.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'd say cheated is a poor word choice.  Maybe, hurt would have been better.  He wasn't entitled to it and saying cheated sounds that way.  If he had said hurt, it would have laid all the focus on these idiots that let that sway them in any way shape or form.  But Louisiana,  yikes, some of those people make UK fans look like movie stars and super models.  Some straight line gene pools.  

agreed.  he wasn't cheated of anything.  He had 5 years to do what he did to break a record that took the leader 3.  Should have played better in the last game.  Shouldn't have been help to what like 4 points in the second half.  Play better or accept you had your shot and came up short.  Nothing wrong in being number 2 for along time most likley

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I was just coming to say this too.  What a clown...cheated because your 14-18 team didn't get invited to a tourney...they shouldn't have been invited....also I agree be humble and glad to be number 2...you make these comments an people dig into the stats and it makes you look even worse.  Pistol Pete's record is nearly unbreakable.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I wonder why is that we don't see this any longer.  I have noticed individual scoring averages are down but you think with a shot clock and 3 pointers it wod give you more scoring opportunities.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I wonder why is that we don't see this any longer.  I have noticed individual scoring averages are down but you think with a shot clock and 3 pointers it wod give you more scoring opportunities.

Running a weave for 25 seconds and then jacking a contested three doesn’t lead to a high scoring average 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There are a lot of things that go into it, scoring in the NBA right now is about as good as we've seen but college is lagging.