'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t get these big name exhibition games. TN wins at MSU, IL beats #1 KS and Ark beats PU. None of those wins count in the season record or tournament resume. What’s the point?

Playing in big name exhibition games against good teams will make you better, excite your fanbase heading into the season and is great publicity.  I think that's the point. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Who makes this kind of list and thinks, I'll put Grand Canyon on it, but not Indiana.

Andy Katz, that's who.

But, seriously, is this a public indictment that our student section is not what it once was?

May be an image of ‎2 people, crowd and ‎text that says '‎ANDY KATZ'S TOP 10 STUDENT SECTIONS DUKE 2. MICHIGAN STATE 3. PURDUE KANSAS STATE 5. KANSAS 6. ILLINOIS I 7. AUBURN 8. UCONN الJ 9. MARCH MADNESS GRAND CANYON GCU 10. SAN DIEGO STATE‎'‎‎

I don't know about Grand Canyon, but given we don't really have a dedicated student section I think it would be hard to include us. . That's not to say we don't have a great homeport advantage, which I'm pretty sure Katz would acknowledge. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t get these big name exhibition games. TN wins at MSU, IL beats #1 KS and Ark beats PU. None of those wins count in the season record or tournament resume. What’s the point?

I’m right there with you. It’s great that there are good teams playing, but why not just play those games as regular non-conference games?

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The Illini-KU game, at least, was a very late addition to the schedule, to benefit the community of Maui after the fires (presumably since both schools are in the regular rotation for that tournament...KU is going there this year, they had some sweet Hawaiian-print uniforms).  The broadcast was pretty fun, both coaches miced up, both did in-game interviews.

3 hours ago, Common Sense said:

Playing in big name exhibition games against good teams will make you better, excite your fanbase heading into the season and is great publicity.  I think that's the point. 

Right, it's a chance to play against very good competition without having to worry about an L on the season record. I hope IU does some of these types of games in the future.

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I stopped watching red zone for those 2 games….even though I was DVRing both 

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Are you saying my purchase of Final Four tickets last night was a mistake? 😂

2 hours ago, cosmicpowers said:

The Illini-KU game, at least, was a very late addition to the schedule, to benefit the community of Maui after the fires (presumably since both schools are in the regular rotation for that tournament...KU is going there this year, they had some sweet Hawaiian-print uniforms).  The broadcast was pretty fun, both coaches miced up, both did in-game interviews.

It was already scheduled long ago, but as a "secret scrimmage", like they did last year. Just changed it to a public scrimmage to do the charity thing. IIRC they raised $1 mil for the relief funds.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Are you saying my purchase of Final Four tickets last night was a mistake? 😂

It was already scheduled long ago, but as a "secret scrimmage", like they did last year. Just changed it to a public scrimmage to do the charity thing. IIRC they raised $1 mil for the relief funds.

Mods - do we want to allow propaganda that Illinois does good things for charity? :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

You can listen to him speak and easily recognize he may not be the smartest coach in the industry. 😬

Sounds like Louisville recognized him as a very good recruiter and took a chance on his coaching ability.  Unfortunately, it appears he has less coaching ability than Patrick Ewing.

• Like 1