Yet Another School Shooting

5fouls

52 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Indiana schools, parents respond to 'TikTok challenge' encouraging threats toward schools

I think it's time to just shut tik tok down.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0dP7R5Mc?s=a99&pd=08vvqoSG&lang=en_US

I think we need to look at anything involving the Chinese and their government...

I saw yesterday where DJI drones went on the US blacklist...makes you wonder how far they are into all of this, including the pandemic...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think we need to look at anything involving the Chinese and their government...

I saw yesterday where DJI drones went on the US blacklist...makes you wonder how far they are into all of this, including the pandemic...

Agreed. I think people seriously underestimate or don't realize how deeply embedded the CCP is in US government, tech and education.  It is beyond me why we allow them to be educated in our universities.  

Should have let MacArthur bomb them into the stone age when we had the chance. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Indiana schools, parents respond to 'TikTok challenge' encouraging threats toward schools

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say what the hell is going on anymore. 

I've never had a TikTok account so i don't know much about it, but from what i see there is always something toxic coming from it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say what the hell is going on anymore. 

I've never had a TikTok account so i don't know much about it, but from what i see there is always something toxic coming from it.

I don't either. Our school sent out an email warning parents about this last night. A few months ago the challenge was to destroy school property and they had a slap a teacher challenge. A 6th grade boy came up to a female teacher I  know and asked her if she had heard of the slap a teacher challenge and asked her what she would do if he slapped her. She said I don't make enough money that would keep my from kicking you butt and I have plenty of bail money if I catch a charge. He said you are serious aren't you and she she said try me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't either. Our school sent out an email warning parents about this last night. A few months ago the challenge was to destroy school property and they had a slap a teacher challenge. A 6th grade boy came up to a female teacher I  know and asked her if she had heard of the slap a teacher challenge and asked her what she would do if he slapped her. She said I don't make enough money that would keep my from kicking you butt and I have plenty of bail money if I catch a charge. He said you are serious aren't you and she she said try me. 

Good for her, i wish more teachers were like that. These days teachers have to walk on eggshells with their students with all the backlash they would face standing up to them and their parents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really think this is going the biggest challenge that will define this particular point in history: Humans learning how to deal with unlimited information, misinformation (unintentional) and disinformation (intentional).....and the outlets that broadcast it to the masses. The scary thing is that every solution I've seen presented leads to some degree of a catch 22. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I really think this is going the biggest challenge that will define this particular point in history: Humans learning how to deal with unlimited information, misinformation (unintentional) and disinformation (intentional).....and the outlets that broadcast it to the masses. The scary thing is that every solution I've seen presented leads to some degree of a catch 22. 

“You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.”

Attributed to Lincoln, but whether he actually said it or not is in doubt...

But not the truthfulness of it, and that's what scares me...because I think the bolded part is growing every day...

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agreed. I think people seriously underestimate or don't realize how deeply embedded the CCP is in US government, tech and education.  

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Chinese manipulate us only because we allow it to happen.  We need to look inward, not outward, at solutions for the issues before us. 

Parents have responsibility to teach their kids right from wrong.  Yet, 90% of the time a juvenile commits a serious crime in this country, mom, dad, aunt, uncle are on the news pleading for forgiveness and talking about what a 'good boy' Jr. is.  

Parents know bad things come from media like Tik-Tok, yet they dont talk to their kids about responsible behavior when using social media.  

And, dont get me started on the irresponsible media, with virtually every outlet being agenda driven instead of simply reporting the news.  Yet, we latch onto the bias that comes out of these outlets (noth ends of the political spectrum) and refuse to understand we are being manipulated.

And, finally, as it specifically relates to this thread.  A society that allows juveniles easy, unsupervised, access to any type of gun is broken.  Again, that typically falls on parents.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Chinese manipulate us only because we allow it to happen.  We need to look inward, not outward, at solutions for the issues before us. 

Parents have responsibility to teach their kids right from wrong.  Yet, 90% of the time a juvenile commits a serious crime in this country, mom, dad, aunt, uncle are on the news pleading for forgiveness and talking about what a 'good boy' Jr. is.  

Parents know bad things come from media like Tik-Tok, yet they dont talk to their kids about responsible behavior when using social media.  

And, dont get me started on the irresponsible media, with virtually every outlet being agenda driven instead of simply reporting the news.  Yet, we latch onto the bias that comes out of these outlets (noth ends of the political spectrum) and refuse to understand we are being manipulated.

And, finally, as it specifically relates to this thread.  A society that allows juveniles easy, unsupervised, access to any type of gun is broken.  Again, that typically falls on parents.

Most parents don't want to parent. They either want to be friends or just want to be left alone so they can update their FAcebook posts. I would prefer the helicopter parents as to what we are seeing from most parents. today. I personally never see it getting any better. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had access to just about anything I wanted growing up.  Obviously things are different now and if I had kids would not allow the access I had. Maybe part parenting and part of me just being me but I would never have imagined doing harm to anyone. 

And not being a parent I don't know but most of these kids that commit these acts are weird. Do these parents not notice their kids are weirdos?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I really don't agree with this, it is too big of a blanket statement, but I do agree with your bigger point that it's all about parenting.  One of my grandfathers had a farm.  By the backdoor, there was always a LOADED shotgun that he used to protect his livestock, usually in the middle of the night.  In his dining room, there were two big gun case with glass doors that contained a variety of shot guns and rifles used for hunting.  My dad used to take a 22 rifle to school during rabbit season and hunt the railroad tracks as he walked home.  We were raised that guns were tools, no different than a hammer or a wrench.  We were most certainly schooled in gun safety, but they were not mysterious or taboo items.  I wrote a college paper one time in which I believed that treating guns as items of mystery was irresponsible.  I called it the "Playboy" effect.  An item of mystery and taboo will be the first thing a kid goes in search of when left alone.  No kid goes looking for a hammer out of curiosity.  The biggest responsibility of a gun owner isn't that the gun be locked up, it's that everyone in the house is educated about the gun.  I don't keep a loaded gun by my backdoor, mostly because I have no livestock to protect, but I certainly wouldn't pass judgement on anyone who does.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

“You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.”

Attributed to Lincoln, but whether he actually said it or not is in doubt...

But not the truthfulness of it, and that's what scares me...because I think the bolded part is growing every day...

I thought Bob Marley said that. haha. 

Bigger mind warp: nobody agrees what category they fall into, or has an ego to handle the notion that they are the ones being fooled. The human psyche is flawed in the sense that we believe what we want to believe, not necessarily what is true. 

This of course is not anything new, but when loads mis/disinformation get pumped out into the ether every second, people find new theories to grasp on to, which furthers that divide. I fear a day is coming when we are numb to all objectivity and we resemble the society in Idiocracy. 

image.png.56c8ceb9a2317ab3c45626a2e49a1049.png

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I thought Bob Marley said that. haha. 

Bigger mind warp: nobody agrees what category they fall into, or has an ego to handle the notion that they are the ones being fooled. The human psyche is flawed in the sense that we believe what we want to believe, not necessarily what is true. 

This of course is not anything new, but when loads mis/disinformation get pumped out into the ether every second, people find new theories to grasp on to, which furthers that divide. I fear a day is coming when we are numb to all objectivity and we resemble the society in Idiocracy. 

image.png.56c8ceb9a2317ab3c45626a2e49a1049.png

What if a person, thinking someone else is being fooled, is being fooled into thinking their not being fooled by some other fool?

Sometimes going through life like Frito from idiocracy seems like alot easier way to do it. I like money too after all. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I had access to just about anything I wanted growing up.  Obviously things are different now and if I had kids would not allow the access I had. Maybe part parenting and part of me just being me but I would never have imagined doing harm to anyone. 

And not being a parent I don't know but most of these kids that commit these acts are weird. Do these parents not notice their kids are weirdos?

We were just discussing this last night with a friend/teacher on the way to a game.  I graduated back in the early 90s and from August to December I couldn't begin to tell you how many of us guys had guns and knives in our trucks just itching to go hunting after school.  Kids still fought behind the tennis courts and I would about bet nobody considered bringing a gun to a fight. Today is way different.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Tik Tok....the one that was owned by China? Yeah...there is nothing going on in any way to destroy our country lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I really don't agree with this, it is too big of a blanket statement, but I do agree with your bigger point that it's all about parenting.  One of my grandfathers had a farm.  By the backdoor, there was always a LOADED shotgun that he used to protect his livestock, usually in the middle of the night.  In his dining room, there were two big gun case with glass doors that contained a variety of shot guns and rifles used for hunting.  My dad used to take a 22 rifle to school during rabbit season and hunt the railroad tracks as he walked home.  We were raised that guns were tools, no different than a hammer or a wrench.  We were most certainly schooled in gun safety, but they were not mysterious or taboo items.  I wrote a college paper one time in which I believed that treating guns as items of mystery was irresponsible.  I called it the "Playboy" effect.  An item of mystery and taboo will be the first thing a kid goes in search of when left alone.  No kid goes looking for a hammer out of curiosity.  The biggest responsibility of a gun owner isn't that the gun be locked up, it's that everyone in the house is educated about the gun.  I don't keep a loaded gun by my backdoor, mostly because I have no livestock to protect, but I certainly wouldn't pass judgement on anyone who does.

This is so difficult, because your post is spot on.  When we were growing up (pre turn of century), there was zero risk of that weapon being used to shoot up a school.  

The world is different now, and regardless of the reasons, it is important to adapt.  A farmer absolutely has the right to have a gun to protect livestock.  However, if that farmer has a troubled teenager, it is important to recognize that the teen's access to the gun should be restricted.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Literally just received a notification from our High School that a kid made a teacher aware that he had a hunting rifle in his car this morning.  

There was no threat and nobody was hurt. But again, why is a minor carrying a gun in his car that is parked on school property?

Stupidity.

When I was in high school I either had a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader covered up in the backseat of my truck depending on the season.  

I parked off of school property and didn't say a word to anyone about it. I do believe the laws for possession by a minor were different then 

As for this kid, it's not general firearm season so who knows.  He needs to learn to not volunteer information.

Edited by mrflynn03

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I was in high school I either had a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader covered up in the backseat of my truck depending on the season.  

I parked off of school property and didn't say a word to anyone about it. I do believe the laws for possession by a minor were different then 

As for this kid, it's not general firearm season so who knows.  He needs to learn to not volunteer information.

I would say he needs to not break the law. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe he opened the trunk and realized he/family member hadn't removed the hunting gun....or realized it was under the back seat etc. Maybe he was just doing the right thing as to be truthful and not freak everyone out or get in more trouble in case it was reported/discovered. Of course it might not be innocent in that case of course that's awful but I'd reckon how this is being described this is a big nothing burger.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not saying he should be doing that,  but in high school, unless someone told me what the law was I would have had no idea.  

We are all innocent until proven guilty. No reason to self incriminate.  

The average American breaks 3 laws a day unknowingly. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not saying he should be doing that,  but in high school, unless someone told me what the law was I would have had no idea.  

We are all innocent until proven guilty. No reason to self incriminate.  

The average American breaks 3 laws a day unknowingly. 

Times are different now. Schools have active shooter drills. Heck, Oxford happened a few weeks ago. Kids know that they aren’t allowed to have a gun if they are a minor and they damn well know not to bring it on school property. My 10 year old knows she can’t bring a gun on school property. This is also not jay walking or going over the speed limit. I’m also not sure why you seem to be more concerned about the kid incriminating himself.