Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

When: Saturday, February 5th 12 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: ESPN

The Illini come in 15-5 (8-2, 1st in Big Ten)

Big 10 Schedule so far and beyond:

image.png.c820f6057451c87d14e4cd9476e94937.png

image.png.21378fed28e5c48bc812f798b3e9f793.png

image.png.27a7d50808d9a12b9e4e62391dfd9aa9.png

We all know we have to at least limit Kofi Cockburn. Every game I've seen them play (probably 12 or so) he camps in the lane, gets the pass, pretty much shoves everybody out of the way with those big shoulders, and scores...If we can hold him to his conference average, I think we'll be ok...

As @Hoosier51 said, double off of Frazier or Plummer at your own peril. They've both been really good from 3, and they both have a good dribble/drive game (Frazier is the better of the 2 at getting to the basket) and both are great FT shooters. I think Coach Woodson will go with XJ on Frazier (which will be an awesome matchup...both are great defenders), but that leaves Stewart on a smaller, quicker Plummer. 

Grandison started off well, but he's 3 for his last 15 3 games from 3...Overall sitting at 35% in conference play. Da'Monte Williams is a quality defender, and can make the 3. He started out slow this year after hitting 3s at a 50%+ clip last year. Illinois has shown they can shoot the 3, but in conference play so far, they're at 34% and their last 7 games they're at 31%.

Overall, they start a small lineup (Cockburn, Grandison, Williams, Frazier, and Plummer). Makes me wonder who is going to guard Race. It'd be nice to get Stewart and Kopp going in this one. I think despite Cockburn's presence, we'll do well inside...

Play our defense and shoot our average and I think we'll win...

If you look at it, we've beaten 2 of the top 5 teams in the Big 10 at home already, and had a third on the ropes on the road. Let's tick off another one...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Can't have Trayce guarding him at least not in the first half imo.  

It'll have to be Trayce...If not, they'll just stand the other 2 options for him to guard (Grandison or Williams) out on the perimeter to take him away from the hoop...

I'm sure Coach Woodson is challenging him all week with his defense on Kofi...I think Trayce will do fine at both ends...

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did you see the Purdue game?  If it's the second half and he's not in foul trouble then fine.  We can't have him playing 11 minutes again.

Yes, I saw some pretty weak foul calls. I’m assuming that’s what you’re referencing?

TJD is one of the best post defenders in the country and has never fouled out in his career. Why wouldn’t he guard the other teams center? Who do you propose he guards? And who do you propose guards Kofi?

Edit: he averaged 15/11/2.5 blocks and 3 fouls in 35 minutes against Kofi last year. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Saturday, February 5th 12 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: ESPN or ESPN 2 (TBD)

The Illini come in 15-5 (8-2, 1st in Big Ten)

Big 10 Schedule so far and beyond:

image.png.c820f6057451c87d14e4cd9476e94937.png

Interesting comparison of our common opponents at same location comparison.  They are almost polar opposites of each other.  Only 1 game in 5 had teh same outcome.

We lost at iowa.  They won at Iowa

We both won at Nebraska

We lost at home against Michigan,  They won at home against Michigan.

We won at home against Purdue.  they lost at home against Purdue.

We won at Maryland.  They lost at Maryland. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I agree TJD may be "better", but Race has more bulk than TJD and can take Cockburn's incesant banging better IMO

Going to be interesting to see who gets the star treatment with the refs.  Not to relive Mich game, but Trayce didn't get calls that he should of.  On top of that, he still was a week off injury sustained at Nebraska.  Hopefully this is where Durr can come in and keep position and wear down KC.  Race does so much on Offense and Defense that wearing him down might be a slight part of decison making.