Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Having lived in Illinois twice (1980-87 southwestern Illinois near St Louis, and 2000-2012 Chicagoland) I get it. I know a ton of Illinois fans (2 nephews are grads) and they just can't grasp that their program isn't on the same historical/national recognition level as IU. 

The Green-Eyed Monster at it's finest...

What town near Stl?

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

A lot of that had to do with RMK's dislike for Bill Frieder...

Coach was actually friends with Frieder's predecessor, Johnny Orr...

But he hated Frieder...

Some background

Interesting, and thanks for sharing that. I know we hated the Fab Five group because it was clear there was a lot of shady stuff going on to get all of those guys to play there. Really enjoyed beating that team.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I remember it and was rooting for MSU to beat ISU

Rooting for Goliath over David, eh? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Interesting, and thanks for sharing that. I know we hated the Fab Five group because it was clear there was a lot of shady stuff going on to get all of those guys to play there. Really enjoyed beating that team.

Rooting for Goliath over David, eh? 

I was a Magic Johnson fan

There is short term and long term.  In the short term, we can have a rivalry with a variety of schools just because of particular matchups.  But, over the long haul, and accounting for ups and downs, I'd put Michigan higher than many, probably on par with Ohio State.   We played them in a national championship, and the Fab 5 versus the Cheaney group was riveting.  Illinois hasn't risen to those levels, although we have had some good battles sporadically.

I remember in the late 80s a friend stopping into a gas station in Illinois and they had a picture Coach Knight on a dartboard.  We were both flattered. "Really?  They aren't even on our radar."  IU is like the hot girl that doesn't know the geek (Illinois) exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What is your frickin.problem. I have watched more games since then.you have in your whole life

It's how you come off, brother.  I don't think it's intentional, but you tend to have one side of a lot of issues and don't react well to those who disagree.  You also tend to repeat some of the same things a lot.  Like how basketball isn't as good as it used to be, that you don't care about the pro game, etc.  You and I agree on a lot of things, but I can see where your repeated positions could get old to someone who disagreed.

...on the flip side, most of the time, people are just teasing you, so don't take things too seriously here.  I think you miss a lot of the jokes and sarcasm, which is admittedly harder to pick up in written form.  Just relax, man...no one is trying to run you off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's how you come off, brother.  I don't think it's intentional, but you tend to have one side of a lot of issues and don't react well to those who disagree.  You also tend to repeat some of the same things a lot.  Like how basketball isn't as good as it used to be, that you don't care about the pro game, etc.  You and I agree on a lot of things, but I can see where your repeated positions could get old to someone who disagreed.

...on the flip side, most of the time, people are just teasing you, so don't take things too seriously here.  I think you miss a lot of the jokes and sarcasm, which is admittedly harder to pick up in written form.  Just relax, man...no one is trying to run you off.

Maybe on some things but not this topic.  The question was asked about rivals in the big ten and I gave my list and why they were my rivals.  Never said my list was right and nobody else is correct.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe on some things but not this topic.  The question was asked about rivals in the big ten and I gave my list and why they were my rivals.  Never said my list was right and nobody else is correct.

Yeah...you're a tad too defensive as well. 😂  Just an observation, man...I'm trying to help.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What is your frickin.problem. I have watched more games since then.you have in your whole life

i was making light of the fact that you repeatedly say basketball was so much better in the 80 and 90s.  I have no doubt you have watched more basketball than i ever will.  Whether that makes you an expert or not is up for debate.

But i was just messing with you.  Didn't mean to push you to far.  My Apologies.