Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Illinois was pretty impressive last night. Big game for us.  

This is the point in the conference calendar that gaining ground back after a loss becomes very difficult. Being 8-4 with another upper level victory albeit at home would put us in the top 25 and in that 6 seed conversation. It would require a meltdown after that to keep us out of the dance. So I think this is our biggest game of the year. 

• Like 4

So just for comparison sake, I went back and looked where we were at this juncture in conference play the previous 3 years...

2018-19 4-7

2019-20 5-6

2020-21 5-6

We were only 3 games over .500 in conference play once during that time, at the beginning of 2018-19 when we started 3-0. After that, we were 2 games over .500 in conference play only two other times, 5-3 and 9-7 in 2019-20 during those 3 years...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I think that we will struggle to beat Illinois...We struggle with quick guards and tend to over help from the perimeter which will give them really good looks from the three point line...also, With our posts rotating to protect the rim, we will really struggle with weak side rebounding on shots in the paint....we will need Illinois to struggle in shooting, and will need the referees to demand that Kofi actually make basketball plays instead of throwing himself so forcefully into the defender that he both charges and travels on his way to getting a layup for the announcers to drool over...

most are calling for minutes for Durr, which makes a lot of sense...I wonder if maybe going small with Race at the five and JG at the four might also present some problems for Illinois when Kofi is on the floor...Pick and pop and go at him off the dribble if he closes out...

Edited by mchenry34
  • Like 1

Wow, a week off is clearly too much free time for you guys. 🤣

The match up I'm interested in is Thompson. I assume Williams will guard him as he's too big/strong for Grandison. Those types have given Illinois some problems, like Wahl in the first half last night. Kofi and TJD probably neutralize each other like they have previously. Think the Illini have the edge with the guards so will need Thompson to come through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trayce says that Coach Woodson talks trash to them about what so-n-so player doing this and that to you...

I kinda figured Coach Woody challenged them...I bet both Trayce and XJ heard enough trash to overload a landfill  this week...:) 

PS: Notice I DID get @The Daily Hoosier's video this time! I'ma tryin'!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think this will be the first time this Illinois crew (Curbelo, Kofi, Frazier, etc) will be playing in front of a Crowd in AH. Last 3 matchups

At Illinois (March 2020)

At Illinois (December 2020)

Home game (Feb 2021) 

Of course the December and Home  games were affected by limited crowd. This could be absolutely nothing at all, but this will be the first time Kofi will be inside AH with a large crowd and other teammates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Khristian Lander game 

I think KL will get minutes, I just don't know how many...I expect XJ to play 25-30 minutes in this one...

Both Frazier and Plummer would be a tough cover for Khristian...I think XJ gets Frazier (who hasn't been playing all that well lately...I think he's getting worn down a bit) and Stewart to start out on Plummer, with Galloway getting the call later...

They aren't deep at the guard spots, so both Plummer and Frazier have averaged 30+ MPG...I know Curbelo is back but he only played about 10 minutes against Wisconsin...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

huge opportunity for Lander to step his game up a notch.  Doesn't need to be completely evolve, just limit the TO's and play adequate defense.  The rest will play itself out

Yup - we know he can score (even if not always efficient), but taking care of the ball and playing solid defense would be huge. 

• Like 2