Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/378629002

He gets $15,000 if they beat us or Missouri.  Wow.  How do you say we are inferior to you and have a major complex about it without actually saying that.

If an AD at Indiana put a clause like that in a coach's contract, I would be pissed at the message that sends.  

Thanks Illinois administration though, I always knew that Indiana was the better program, glad to see them acknowledge it.

Little brother gonna be little brother...

• Like 2

I don’t understand why we act like this is a rivalry game. Let them overhype it, but they’re not on our level. I know we have a lot of fans from the Chicagoland area and it probably matters to them, but for those of us not from there (or at least me) this is just another game  

Purdue, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State… those are all bigger conference games year in and year out in my mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t understand why we act like this is a rivalry game. Let them overhype it, but they’re not on our level. I know we have a lot of fans from the Chicagoland area and it probably matters to them, but for those of us not from there (or at least me) this is just another game  

Purdue, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State… those are all bigger conference games year in and year out in my mind. 

I've never thought of ILL as a rival and yes no question those are bigger games. 

Also, why are we so scared of Kofi Cockburn? Good grief. We aren't starting Durr, we aren't guarding him with Race. TJD gets him, we will have a TEAM game plan to slow KC down, but good grief, some of you scare so easily. ILL had better come up with a whale of a game plan to stop us in transition and to handle out PnR w/TJD and PnP w/RT. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I've never thought of ILL as a rival and yes no question those are bigger games. 

Also, why are we so scared of Kofi Cockburn? Good grief. We aren't starting Durr, we aren't guarding him with Race. TJD gets him, we will have a TEAM game plan to slow KC down, but good grief, some of you scare so easily. ILL had better come up with a whale of a game plan to stop us in transition and to handle out PnR w/TJD and PnP w/RT. 

Kofi will get winded

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Having lived in Illinois twice (1980-87 southwestern Illinois near St Louis, and 2000-2012 Chicagoland) I get it. I know a ton of Illinois fans (2 nephews are grads) and they just can't grasp that their program isn't on the same historical/national recognition level as IU. 

The Green-Eyed Monster at it's finest...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We are their rival, they are not ours.  We have 2 rivals, Purdue and Kentucky.  All of the other Big Ten teams are teams you would like to beat and have had periods where they were a big game on the schedule, but Purdue and Kentucky are the only permanent rivals in my mind.

• Like 7

While the Kofi/TJD matchup is a big one, I think the Trent Frazier/XJ matchup is even bigger...

I hope Coach Woody is telling XJ at practice every day "You're going against the best PG in the Big 10."

XJ is a competitor...If he wins that battle, we're in good shape...

Frazier has averaged 38.2 MPG in the last 4 (including the double OT loss to Purdue) and his 3 point percentage for the last 4 games is south of 30%...and Illinois isn't deep in the backcourt...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope Coach Woody is telling XJ at practice every day "You're going against the best PG in the Big 10."

And I hope X is hearing two messages in that:

1) Better have your "A" game ready, young man.

and

2) That's right....YOU will be FACING the best PG in the conference.  Can you change some people's minds about that? Here's your opportunity. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Frazier has averaged 38.2 MPG in the last 4 (including the double OT loss to Purdue) and his 3 point percentage for the last 4 games is south of 30%...and Illinois isn't deep in the backcourt...

The MPG made me think of Yogi, so I had to look his stats up.  His senior year, Yogi averaged 36 MPG in B10 games. Low of 35, high of 41.  Only difference.....he shot 47% from behind the arc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We are their rival, they are not ours.  We have 2 rivals, Purdue and Kentucky.  All of the other Big Ten teams are teams you would like to beat and have had periods where they were a big game on the schedule, but Purdue and Kentucky are the only permanent rivals in my mind.

Depending on who you ask they have about 5 rivals (Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Northwestern..) but they try to make their bones off of historically saddling up to us as a rival.

I try to explain to my Illini family and friends that most here don't view them as a rival. At all. 

• Like 1

#1 key to the game.

Which of Kofi & TJD will the officials decide to put in foul trouble.  Both will have 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes if they are called under the strict definition in the rule book.  The officials need to determine early on if they want to make that the storyline. 

• Like 4

Just now, 5fouls said:

#1 key to the game.

Which of Kofi & TJD will the officials decide to put in foul trouble.  Both will have 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes if they are called under the strict definition in the rule book.  The officials need to determine early on if they want to make that the storyline. 

Just go to 6 fouls!! Its insane this has to be such a talking point every game, hate it. 

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'd take TJD and/or Race in a track meet over Kofi any day of the week.  A boxing match....different story. 

Race's range could be a key factor.  Hope that trend of improving 3PT shooting continues. 

I'd take them in a boxing match as well, if they made it out of the 4th round. lol 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

#1 key to the game.

And sadly this is 100% correct....amazing how so many Big 10 games change with the whistle blowing crews. It's not just down low either. They'll let you beat the crap out of each other in paint but call a hand check 30 feet from on Xavier. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And sadly this is 100% correct....amazing how so many Big 10 games change with the whistle blowing crews. It's not just down low either. They'll let you beat the crap out of each other in paint but call a hand check 30 feet from on Xavier. 

I got a technical last year because I pointed that out to an official in one of our games. Admittedly, it wasn't said in the most Christian of tones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I got a technical last year because I pointed that out to an official in one of our games. Admittedly, it wasn't said in the most Christian of tones. 

I don't know how you guys coach and don't get run. I know you have to set an example,etc...but when something is just dead wrong..and it keeps happening over and over what's a coach supposed to do?

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just go to 6 fouls!! Its insane this has to be such a talking point every game, hate it. 

This has been discussed quite a bit and it always points back to the Big East experimental year that was some of the uglies, most fouling slug fest basketball in the land.  We already have that in the B1G so Id strongly advise against facilitating more of that.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know how you guys coach and don't get run. I know you have to set an example,etc...but when something is just dead wrong..and it keeps happening over and over what's a coach supposed to do?

I was at an AAU event about 8 years ago, so I was young for a coach like 23/24. I had a HC for HS program(he was there watching his players) tell me "officiating sucks, when coaches realize that life is a lot easier." 

I have just used that statement since then to help me reconcile how bad it is, sometimes. And I will tell you, the officials absolutely favor the more aggressive team. Make them call everything. They want to "call" hand checks for 28 mins in a JV game.. I'll call your bluff. We pressured the hell out of people. lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This has been discussed quite a bit and it always points back to the Big East experimental year that was some of the uglies, most fouling slug fest basketball in the land.  We already have that in the B1G so Id strongly advise against facilitating more of that.  

It can't get worse then it is now. No reason not to try it. It's either that or stop calling so much, s***. I don't enjoy the best players sitting out for long stretches. jmo

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

#1 key to the game.

Against Edey, Trayce and Kofi along with Zed Key all were in foul trouble in the first couple of minutes, the officials definitely determine the storyline while playing Purdue.

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

It can't get worse then it is now. No reason not to try it. It's either that or stop calling so much, s***. I don't enjoy the best players sitting out for long stretches. jmo

I get it but when its been tried and failed miserably and made things worse.  

The B1G refs would do us all a favor if early in the season they fouled Wisconsin, MSU, Purdue and any hacking team, just foul out their starting 5.  Call 2 fouls simultaneously in the same possession.  Hell call 2 fouls on the same guy, one for each hand on the offensive player.  Send a strong message early in the season. Then we can watch some flowing basketball, instead of 58-59 meat grinders.  And the teams are prepared for the tourney.  Not the other way around.

• Like 1