Build Your Own Team

5fouls

And I'll say this...

If you're only looking at the players from the context of today's game then it's a useless exercise...The players from the 70s and 80s (save maybe I Thomas) weren't asked to do the things the current kids are asked to do, nor have they had the specialized training (strength training in particular) or played on the summer teams that today's kids do. 

You have to judge each within the context of the era they played...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I'll say this...

If you're only looking at the players from the context of today's game then it's a useless exercise...The players from the 70s and 80s (save maybe I Thomas) weren't asked to do the things the current kids are asked to do, nor have they had the specialized training (strength training in particular) or played on the summer teams that today's kids do. 

Yep.  Interesting that Benson, a 2 time All-American and NBA #1 overall pick is not making many rosters, and I'm not sure he's been listed as a starter in any.  Part of that is the rules are forcing people towards TJD, but still.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I'll say this...

I think you are under estimating Wittman's skill set.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  Interesting that Benson, a 2 time All-American and NBA #1 overall pick is not making many rosters, and I'm not sure he's been listed as a starter in any.  Part of that is the rules are forcing people towards TJD, but still.   

At least Benson could finish at the rim!  lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I'll say this...

Why? 

We are building a team to win a game, right? so why would we build a team that could win in the 80s? Or I guess I should say, why would us younger guys look at it like that? 

I don't see any 4 man as a decent option if they can't shoot and that's because that is modern basketball. If we just picking the 5 straight up best players at each position, yeah, I think that's a different discussion. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would have done Benson but had trouble finding a 4 to choose so went with Abernethy.  Then picked May over Benson since I was limited to 2 per team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't enjoy it. I've never watched a game without it. Like that replay looked like a different sport, almost. Rules were enforced much more literally then, just such a difference. It was 21-20 and there wasn't a ball screen set, yet. lol 

No ball screens is good if you ask me.  The offense we see today is plain boring for me to watch because it is not how basketball is supposed to be played.

1987 team offense was a pure joy to watch and that was the first year for the 3.  Alford shot 53 from 3 that year. In the tournament they scored 92, 107, 88,77,97,74

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Benson shot 50% from the field as a SR once Buckner, Wilkerson, and Buckner were gone. For his career he shot 54% from the field, TJD shoots 55%. 

Benson offensive game was more than just trying to back his man down to the basket.  TJD should shoot 60 percent with where his shots come from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why? 

We are building a team to win a game, right? so why would we build a team that could win in the 80s? Or I guess I should say, why would us younger guys look at it like that? 

I don't see any 4 man as a decent option if they can't shoot and that's because that is modern basketball. If we just picking the 5 straight up best players at each position, yeah, I think that's a different discussion. 

How are you going to have any kind of "game?" The only thing you can really do with this is go by statistics, and those were derived from the era each player played in...If you don't, the players from the 70s and 80s are at a disadvantage from the get-go...

• Like 1

Starters:

1) IT

2) Alford

3) May

4) Race

5) Zeller

Reserves: Smart (could play either guard position), Watford (instant offense and 3pt shooting off bench, may have taken 81-82 Kitchell here, but not 80-81 Kitch) , Dean Garrett (close call with TJD, but just think of DG being more versatile offensively, but could be wrong).

Team would have lots of scoring, interior defense, rebounding and overall good FT shooting.

Here are some interesting stats about the undefeated 75-76 backcourt. Buckner and Wilkerson both averaged about 8 ppg. BW shot 63% FTs and QB shot 49% FTs. QB for his career averaged 4.5 assists and 3.3 TOs. Even in 75-76, his assist/TO ratio was 4.2/2.7.  XJ this year is 4.5/2.3

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1987 team offense was a pure joy to watch and that was the first year for the 3.  Alford shot 53 from 3 that year. In the tournament they scored 92, 107, 88,77,97,74

Folks.  Even of you don't usually listen to what Scott says, read his sentence I quoted.  Those aren't point totals for the first 6 games of the year against cupcakes.  Those are point totals from the NCAA tournament for a team that basically played 7.5 guys a game.  It was with a shot clock.  It was with a 3-point shot (admittedly a shorter one than exists today). 

When Scott talks about the game being better in the 80's, this is the type of thing he's alluding to.  His point has merit on many levels.  Doesn't mean that style would work today.  But,  it was a darn good form of basketball to watch.

But, yes, I agree with those that say the games was less interesting without the shot clock or 3-point shot.  But, 1987 had both of those.

• Like 2

This is such a good topic.  Not for the teams used to pick from but for how each person, mostly based on age, picks their teams.  Those who lived through the 70 and 80s really lean on those players with a couple new players whereas the younger generation finds the newer teams more appealing by watching them and play style.

This is not at all a dig at the younger generation, like an unnamed poster likes to do, but more at how as fan we are really affected by what teams we grew up watching.  

Personally i don't remember Mays, Benson or Buckner.  I know the name from lore and know they were the some of the best to even put on an IU uniform.  I remember the 87 team through today.  And so my favorite players tend to be in the 90s and 2000s.

I just really enjoy seeing these types of discussion.

• Like 3