Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Not directed at anyone in this thread*

I'm so sick of the phrase "not a good look"! Who cares what the "look" is, let's maybe go with what actually happened and what the next steps/results are (in this case who the replacement is and how they perform).

As surprised as I am, 100% agree that it's far too early to cast judgment on what transpired.

...but wow...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let me see if I have this right. Fife has a great position for 10 years . Loves IU fans love him. Is lured away to be on staff and presumably the coach in waiting only to be let go by the coach that was forced to have him on staff to begin with. I feel for Dane and his family. Very good people I hate this for them

Izzo seems like the kind of guy who would have carried an underperforming Fife as dead weight for 10 years.  :coffee:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I guess the rumors were true. Unfortunate, but only because I thought Dane was the future leader of this program. It seemed a natural fit seeing as CMW is older and unlikely to coach IU for 10+ seasons.

At this point, it's all speculation. It did seem like Dane became very quiet as the season progressed. He was doing all kinds of interviews and then it really trailed off. Figured he was just too busy as conference play came around. Maybe he was told to stop.

It could be that CMW didn't like anyone else being out there talking? Could be he didn't like having his potential replacement sitting on the bench? Is it possible Dane over-stepped his role at some point? One thing is certain, when it comes to IU basketball nothing is hidden. This will come out. Drama seems to live within this program regardless of the coach.

Let's see if other coaches and/or Thad move on in the next few weeks for positions that are not really promotions. That would be a red flag.

Prediction: If this off season goes south with more transfers than expected and the coaching staff appears fractured, CMW will not last too long. 

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It does suck and I hate it for Fife, but I also would hate it if Woodson felt he could upgrade the team and program and didn't make the move for some reason. Wouldn't you? 

I agree but the optics are not good and I feel they are worked hard to unite the fan base and what dies this do to it

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Makes no sense. Literally coaching is listening and adapting. That's great for Knight.. idk why he was brought up. 

You said good coaches don't do it. In 20 plus years of coaching I have encountered lots of good to great coaches with enormous egos that cloud their judgement from time to time.  Knight is probably an above average coach with a giant EGO so I threw him in

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

Prediction: If this off season goes south with more transfers than expected and the coaching staff appears fractured, CMW will not last too long. 

In my opinion, only if this impacts play next year. If we win some tournament games next year (sweet 16 or better) and EVERYONE will forget this. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are a millions options that aren't "Woodson is a terrible HC that doesn't listen to anyone". 

Why is Fife automatically "in the right"? Maybe Fife is an egotistical prick? 

I honestly don't know. 

If it’s CMW is the problem won’t players bolt?

it can’t be money?  Big 10 network 💰 

he loves IU 

will be interesting if the truth comes out

• Like 3

No bueno.  I love Fife.  I don't like this.  I need to calm down before I go off.  For him to fire him is ridiculous, IMO. 

If Woodson wants to pretend that Fife wasn't cutting it, you're not going to convert me.  I am not one who reflexively defends everything my team does just because it's my team.  Woodson should have figured out a way to get along with Fife.   Personal skills go both ways.  

I wish Fife well.  He still has a bright future.  I hope he coaches at the highest level and kicks ass.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

You said good coaches don't do it. In 20 plus years of coaching I have encountered lots of good to great coaches with enormous egos that cloud their judgement from time to time.  Knight is probably an above average coach with a giant EGO so I threw him in

What? Knight had an ego? I never noticed 🤣.

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are a millions options that aren't "Woodson is a terrible HC that doesn't listen to anyone". 

Why is Fife automatically "in the right"? Maybe Fife is an egotistical prick? 

I honestly don't know. 

He was at MSU for 10 years. He did fine under Izzo. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Fife was widely talked about as the heir apparent in the media and amongst the fan base.  i wonder if Woodson resented that.  If so, that's incredibly weak.  

Just win, baby.  That's on Woodson going forward.  I think he will.  If he doesn't this is the kind of crap that will get thrown back in his face.  

Fife has a good mind for recruiting and is relatable.  He did really well at MSU as a recruiter and as a coach.  He's a talented guy where you make it work.  Not all co-workers have to be best friends.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1