Dane Fife not returning to Indiana

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I was referring to this:

He told players it is not about NIL and it should be about playing for IU.  

He posted all over twitter in a rant. He didnt tell our players in a team meeting that or whatever lol

It was right after a huge athletics meeting at IU or whatever. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, toonsquad said:

Rabjohns gave a pretty interesting perspective on all of this if you go back about 30 minutes into JMV's show. Seems like Dane may have had it coming for a while.

Thank you very much for linking this up. Just finished listening to it....and it sounds like Woodson/Fife didn't get off to the best starts, recruiting misses...and as the year went on it just went sideways. I liked the comment sometimes the smallest straw is the last straw. Thanks again...

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It does suck and I hate it for Fife, but I also would hate it if Woodson felt he could upgrade the team and program and didn't make the move for some reason. Wouldn't you? 

Fife is the only college guy from really a winning program (MSU) on the staff.  Seriously, guy had a long term position at a school that was better than us and was convinced to leave and he got fired.  Someone said it is 100% on Dane.  How?

This is kind of a shitty way to treat past players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Thank you very much for linking this up. Just finished listening to it....and it sounds like Woodson/Fife didn't get off to the best starts, recruiting misses...and as the year went on it just went sideways. I liked the comment sometimes the smallest straw is the last straw. Thanks again...

And offering RC when he was told not to. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Fife is the only college guy from really a winning program (MSU) on the staff.  Seriously, guy had a long term position at a school that was better than us and was convinced to leave and he got fired.  Someone said it is 100% on Dane.  How?

He was insubordinate multiple times. He also p***** off his two bosses.. that can get you "not retained". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

The biggest recruiting miss was Noah Clowney.  Wasn't he one of Ya's guys?  We got some of our other favorites and Fife was doing well with Little, although that's not over yet.  Fife has a good eye.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Lol

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My opinion.  If things weren't going well, sit down and go over what the issues are.  Come to a mutual understanding about where the other guy is coming from.  

They may very well have done just that, and the result of their conversation, their mutual understanding, is that it was time for Dane to move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

And that is apparently exactly what has happened. Where is the problem?

I meant to make it work when both parties have a lot to gain.  He is firing a talented coach because he couldn't get along with him.  I don't buy that as good leadership.

I have no problem being the face of fans dissatisfied with this outcome.  Let Woody enjoy some blowback.  

Like I said, go 26-8 and no one will remember.  Go 20-13 and fire another assistant next year and it starts looking like a cluster.  It's never one thing that does you in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

They may very well have done just that, and the result of their conversation, their mutual understanding, is that it was time for Dane to move on.

They worded it as a firing though.  If it were mutual, it could have easily been worded another way.  That wording looked very intentional.  We all know Woody didn't write that.  The SID or someone else used to writing such things did.

My guess:

Woody "I want to make a change.  You can resign publicly."

Fife"  I am not doing that.  Fire me publicly.  Let it get out that way."

Woody "Ok, suit yourself."

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I meant to make it work when both parties have a lot to gain.  He is firing a talented coach because he couldn't get along with him.  I don't buy that as good leadership.

I have no problem being the face of fans dissatisfied with this outcome.  Let Woody enjoy some blowback.  

Like I said, go 26-8 and no one will remember.  Go 20-13 and fire another assistant next year and it starts looking like a cluster.  It's never one thing that does you in.

From experience it is hell working with people that you don't get along with.  Why keep a person who you don't get along with especially in coaching where you are around them all the time.

• Like 2

The Rabjohns interview confirms what I've thought for many years now. These 'insiders' are full of crap.

He could have just as easily said, "yes, lots of rumors but i don't really know anything for certain or would rather not make any definitive statements so nobody can fact check it or call me out, but please keep considering me an insider 'cause I'm Raby."

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sorry, but after 10 years at MSU, I don’t see a guy just going rogue 

I don't understand. He did  offer a recruit he was told not to, he did post tweets b******* about NIL... he was told to take those down. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The Rabjohns interview confirms what I've thought for many years now. These 'insiders' are full of crap.

He could have just as easily said, "yes, lots of rumors but i don't really know anything for certain or would rather not make any definitive statements so nobody can fact check it or call me out, but please keep considering me an insider 'cause I'm Raby."

No doubt Rabby talks out of his ass a lot.  His favorite move is to connect dots from his imagination and start throwing things out as rumors.  That's why he is wrong so often.

The only way he can truly know is if Fife tells him directly.

I bet Fife comes on DD or JMV and gives an explanation.  He will be professional but will probably give some candor too.  I bet he is classy though.  He is smart enough to play it that way.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1