Transfer Portal 2022

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

🤦‍♂️ this doesn’t matter! Value the scholarship at $100 or $1,000,000. It still won’t matter and you’ll still be missing the point  

These athletes are not asking the schools for any more money. They understand that they can’t get paid by schools  

They want the right to earn more money from third party companies and the NCAA has no right to govern that. Especially when the NCAA and colleges financially benefited from not allowing it to happen. That is flat out scummy behavior under the guise of ‘amateurism’. 

I have no problem with the NIL but that is not what is happening. The players were supposed to get paid for their name, image and likeness but these players are just getting paid for no work.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I have no problem with the NIL but that is not what is happening. The players were supposed to get paid for their name, image and likeness but these players are just getting paid for no work.

How does everyone feel about Nike, Adidas, UA, espn, fox, cbs, conference networks all able to use these athletes name image and likeness and not required to pay them anything for it.  

If the O'Bannon's can win a case against the ncaa, eventually all the mega money that goes to these networks will get sued for.  That's the true exploitation going on that no one talks about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How does everyone feel about Nike, Adidas, UA, espn, fox, cbs, conference networks all able to use these athletes name image and likeness and not required to pay them anything for it.  

If the O'Bannon's can win a case against the ncaa, eventually all the mega money that goes to these networks will get sued for.  That's the true exploitation going on that no one talks about.

They don't do that because it is making money off the name on the front of the jersey. Individual players comes and goes but the constant is the program which is what brings the money in.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They don't do that because it is making money off the name on the front of the jersey. Individual players comes and goes but the constant is the program which is what brings the money in.

What about pre, mid, and post game shows?  What about the entire game the announcers keep name dropping the players on the court?  Like literally every time they do something good they will say their name sometimes every time they touch the ball they will say their name.  Hence the word name in the phrase name image likeness.  

Or the Big show or sports Center or all the highlight shows from all the other networks.  There's a human being wearing that jersey that had a real name, image, and likeness.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That name on the front of the jersey only goes so far.  

• Like 2

I have no problem with the NIL but that is not what is happening. The players were supposed to get paid for their name, image and likeness but these players are just getting paid for no work.

@IU Scott And that ironically should tell you why their value is more than a typical scholarship. If companies or collectives want to pay athletes to hang out in a jacuzzi with super models then that is their prerogative. This money, that high level players can earn, was getting sucked up by colleges/NCAA. They were keeping for themselves an entire multi-billion dollar pie that other bakers helped bake.  

Look, I realize that this will very well change college athletics. I realize it’s hard to govern. But I see it as a necessary change that needed to happen because an institution should not be able to have that type of control over an individual. Not in college athletics. Not anywhere. If that’s going to change some things then so be it. 

The playing field won’t be level, but it never was level. Even in NBA the playing field isn’t level: Florida and Texas have an advantage with taxes, New York and LA have more endorsement opportunities and bigger markets to entice superstars, etc.. Yet, the NBA continues to exist and put a product on the floor.

College athletics will continue on, but they’ll need to go through painful adaptations. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6

The NIL may be forced on the NCAA but the problem is they have no clue how to administer it.  In particular, it’s obvious there are competitive shenanigans going on including tampering.  They look like keystone cops.  Until they figure this out, you might as well tamper like crazy.  

I am happy the NIL exists but I’m not happy that it’s a disorganized free for all.  They’ve had, what, two freaking years to figure it out?  Emmert was supposed to be far more than the paid piñata for the college presidents.  He got paid but didn’t figure this stuff out.  Hire consultants.  Get McKenzie in there.  Do something.  Don’t just sit on your hands.  Privileged dude who has no idea what to do.  

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This money, that high level players can earn, was getting sucked up by colleges/NCAA. They were keeping for themselves an entire multi-billion dollar pie that other bakers helped bake. 

Huh?  They still are.  The ncaa, networks, and universities haven't lost a dime.  All this NIL money is private money.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The players were supposed to get paid for their name, image and likeness but these players are just getting paid for no work.

How do you know they're not working? Going to a photo shoot, reading for a commercial, and appearances at events might not seem like work to you, but it is...and it's what they're getting paid for.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh?  They still are.  The ncaa, networks, and universities haven't lost a dime.  All this NIL money is private money.  

Do you think that the owner of Life Wallet is giving as much to Miami University if he’s shelling out all this cash directly to their athletes?

If a business owner who is a donor to a university is a really big football fan that wants to see a better product on the field, will he/she donate that money to the athletic program’s general fund or use that money to get a player to endorse their company? 

In the future will universities get these huge shoe contracts if the the shoe companies can now pick and choose the players they want to be seen wearing their sneakers? 

Before another law suit, EA Sports was paying the NCAA for rights to put their athlete’s names in a video game, not the athletes. 

Yes, the NCAA and it’s universities will still make a lot of money, but some of that money is now being siphoned away. They are losing a piece of their pie. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Do you think that the owner of Life Wallet is giving as much to Miami University if he’s shelling out all this cash directly to their athletes?

If a business owner who is a donor to a university is a really big football fan that wants to see a better product on the field, will he/she donate that money to the athletic program’s general fund or use that money to get a player to endorse their company? 

In the future will universities get these huge shoe contracts if the the shoe companies can now pick and choose the players they want to be seen wearing their sneakers? 

Before another law suit, EA Sports was paying the NCAA for rights to put their athlete’s names in a video game, not the athletes. 

Yes, the NCAA and it’s universities will still make a lot of money, but some of that money is now being siphoned away. They are losing a piece of their pie. 

Sure they could be losing donations but these rich people want two things.  Winners and access.  Until the universities come out and say that 1 year later, the data is clear, athletic department donations are down a certain percentage, likely due to those monies going to NIL deals instead.  Its pure speculation.  Thats what normal people on fixed budgets do.  Not billionaires.  At least I speculate that's what they do.  

The B1G and fox are currently in a 2.64 BILLION dollar deal that is getting ready to get bigger next year.  Each conference school gets over 31 million a year from Fox sports through this deal.  So much money that IU started building academic facilities because they can't spend it all on athletics.  

If someone can sue eA sports and win, why couldn't they sue the networks?

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

What about pre, mid, and post game shows?  What about the entire game the announcers keep name dropping the players on the court?  Like literally every time they do something good they will say their name sometimes every time they touch the ball they will say their name.  Hence the word name in the phrase name image likeness.  

Or the Big show or sports Center or all the highlight shows from all the other networks.  There's a human being wearing that jersey that had a real name, image, and likeness.  

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but we also need to draw the distinction between PR and advertising/marketing. 

Your name getting mentioned during a game broadcast or being interviewed pre/during/post-game is PR. You don't get compensated for that. Your highlights getting show on SportsCenter or calling into the ESPN morning radio show is PR. You don't get compensated for that. 

Now, where I agree with you and NIL is that all of that "free" PR builds your marketable value and players should get compensated if Company X wants to leverage a players notoriety to market their products or if ESPN wants to put a player in a commercial to market their college basketball coverage or promote on of their sponsors, etc.

But, you don't get paid for the interviews or in-game stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but we also need to draw the distinction between PR and advertising/marketing. 

Your name getting mentioned during a game broadcast or being interviewed pre/during/post-game is PR. You don't get compensated for that. Your highlights getting show on SportsCenter or calling into the ESPN morning radio show is PR. You don't get compensated for that. 

Now, where I agree with you and NIL is that all of that "free" PR builds your marketable value and players should get compensated if Company X wants to leverage a players notoriety to market their products or if ESPN wants to put a player in a commercial to market their college basketball coverage or promote on of their sponsors, etc.

That's fine, I agree.  My point is the networks and universities are STILL making loot and not paying players a dime.  The money they make is private.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

NBA and NFL salaries are based on tv contracts, ticket sales, all the other revenue and the divided and shared amongst the players and owners.  The NCAA model is the universities get to keep it all.  Except for as Scott would argue they are getting set up in life with a scholarship worth 50k.  Big whoop in the scheme of 31 million a year just off of tv rights.  Not to mention the shoe deal and all the other endorsements the athletic department garners, nor the tickets and concessions.  There is no dividing and sharing of the revenue in the ncaa.  You know that.  Maybe the others need reminded.  Idk

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

NBA and NFL salaries are based on tv contracts, ticket sales, all the other revenue and the divided and shared amongst the players and owners.  The NCAA model is the universities get to keep it all.  Except for as Scott would argue they are getting set up in life with a scholarship worth 50k.  Big whoop in the scheme of 31 million a year just off of tv rights.  Not to mention the shoe deal and all the other endorsements the athletic department garners, nor the tickets and concessions.  There is no dividing and sharing of the revenue in the ncaa.  You know that.  Maybe the others need reminded.  Idk

Absolutely, and you bring up a very good point about the TV and radio network contracts as well as the shoe/apparel deals. Professionals absolutely get a revenue share of those contracts. 

Appreciate the reminder on that, that part had slipped my mind when I was responding. 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's fine, I agree.  My point is the networks and universities are STILL making loot and not paying players a dime.  The money they make is private.  

My point is that they aren't going to be as making as much as they could be. Athletic donations will be down because all these collectives are popping up all over the place, schools now have competition in this area. I believe this is part of the reason the NCAA fought it tooth and nail, even though they didn't have a case. The other reason is power. The NCAA can't enforce NIL - it will ultimately be the states who do so. And if the NCAA doesn't enforce amateurism anymore (it's debatable even if they could before NIL), then what is their role in college athletics going forward? Perhaps it will just be limited to creating tournaments and distributing money to it's members. Perhaps they'll cease to exist. 

I don't disagree that the NCAA and it's member schools make a crap ton of money, but can't you see how their financial interest beyond TV contracts is threatened?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

If those players were playing in the G League would they be mentioned on those shows.  Would CBS pay billions of dollars to show Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Let's say if the players on Murray St was the top players in college and they were on Duke instead.  Those same players would get as much pub as the guy have played for Duke on the past.

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How do you know they're not working? Going to a photo shoot, reading for a commercial, and appearances at events might not seem like work to you, but it is...and it's what they're getting paid for.

I haven't seen any of that from our local athletes