DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

37 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

It would be nice to add Carton to next years class,really nice..but I'm all for the potential class we could get right here in Indiana

I hear that but I think it should ‘sting a little’ if we miss on the Cartons, Watfords, Hurts, etc. We can’t thrive on Indiana talent alone and if we want to be truly elite then we need to lock up the state and regularly fill our rosters with high 4 * and 5 * from elsewhere.

It’s a marathon and not a sprint and all that stuff too so don’t get me wrong here but I just think there’s a next step beyond locking up the state and hell we might already be on the cusp of that already.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

I hear that but I think it should ‘sting a little’ if we miss on the Cartons, Watfords, Hurts, etc. We can’t thrive on Indiana talent alone and if we want to be truly elite then we need to lock up the state and regularly fill our rosters with high 4 * and 5 * from elsewhere.

It’s a marathon and not a sprint and all that stuff too so don’t get me wrong here but I just think there’s a next step beyond locking up the state and hell we might already be on the cusp of that already.

I hear ya..coach Knight would fill gaps with out of state players and that worked out well most of the time but I have moved on from Hurt and I'm starting to from Watford,besides there are 2 5 stars right here in the state..build your foundation in Indiana and then add the bricks from outside...kinda like this years class with Hunter,who I think will be a special player.

If Carton wants to be a Hoosier, he’d have committed by now but many criticized me when I said he wasn’t HOOSIER material!  Is he holding off for the Ky’s, NC’s or Dukes of the world before making a decision?  Does Michigan have a better future than an Archie led IU team, I don’t think so which is puzzling?  Not getting any hopes up but not losing any sleep either on out of state recruits, close the borders and lock up the State first and foremost!  Others will come calling before long.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, btownqb said:

If you watched that video posted about Jerome Hunter you'd understand he isnt coming to Indiana to be a Hoosier necessarily... he loves Archie and thinks Archie can get him to the NBA.. our tradition doesn't mean that much to him and honestly, that's ok. 

Not "Hoosier material" but hes Michigan material? The team with 2 runner ups the past 5 years. Good one. 

Good ole Jerome Hunter debates, honestly I have big hopes of him being special as a Freshman!  I could care less about how we get them vs IF we get them.  If they commit, there Hoosiers for life and if they don’t, Never Hoosier material from the get!  Easy math

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

If they commit, there Hoosiers for life and if they don’t, Never Hoosier material from the get!  Easy math

I like where your heart’s at, but I wouldn’t discount the process and discard him, just because he hasn’t committed. Maybe he’s holding out for others, maybe not. Either way, I don’t see us landing many kids early very often anymore... because the kids that Archie is recruiting are going to hold out more often than not. 

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Good ole Jerome Hunter debates, honestly I have big hopes of him being special as a Freshman!  I could care less about how we get them vs IF we get them.  If they commit, there Hoosiers for life and if they don’t, Never Hoosier material from the get!  Easy math

Did you attend Indiana University? 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:22 PM, HoosierJax said:

I hear ya..coach Knight would fill gaps with out of state players and that worked out well most of the time but I have moved on from Hurt and I'm starting to from Watford,besides there are 2 5 stars right here in the state..build your foundation in Indiana and then add the bricks from outside...kinda like this years class with Hunter,who I think will be a special player.

Always good to keep in mind that while Indiana generally produces at least a player or two at an elite national level per year, there are down years and it's always important to keep the regional/national level recruiting going. CAM has done a genuinely tremendous job re-establishing IU as a destination for Indiana's elite HS players, and that is foundational, but absolutely should and will shoot for elite out of state players as well.

44 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

That interview is pretty different from the Rabjohns interview. Interesting stuff. 

Fits the story I keep hearing. His meteoric rise up the rankings has caught him and his family off guard. Sounds like they are just wearing out on the whole process and want it to be done with. I still keep thinking Michigan. 

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

If Carton wants to be a Hoosier, he’d have committed by now but many criticized me when I said he wasn’t HOOSIER material!  Is he holding off for the Ky’s, NC’s or Dukes of the world before making a decision?  Does Michigan have a better future than an Archie led IU team, I don’t think so which is puzzling?  Not getting any hopes up but not losing any sleep either on out of state recruits, close the borders and lock up the State first and foremost!  Others will come calling before long.

You just seem like a very inpatient person but you really need to let the process work out.  It is still early in the process and the signing date is not until November or even April for some players.   You would have really hated the recruiting process in the 80's and early 90's because most did not find out the recruiting class until signing day.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Fits the story I keep hearing. His meteoric rise up the rankings has caught him and his family off guard. Sounds like they are just wearing out on the whole process and want it to be done with. I still keep thinking Michigan. 

As do I. Worries me when they keep talking about turning the program around... like we are in a rebuild.

As bad as we were last year, we were one shooting guard away from being a pretty decent team.

18 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Rabjohns' counterpart covering Michigan thinks that the Cartons have a very strong relationship with an assistant coach at Michigan. Thinks it tips the scales in favor of Michigan.

Now it makes sense. That's Luke Yaklich. Strong and deep ties to the high school scene in Illinois....and coached at Illinois St too where he had great recruiting success. My  guess is Carton's knew him a long time ago. Would have played teams growing up (Carton is originally from Illinois), been at many of the same gyms,etc.....

Ok. Now that's the clarity I needed. Nothing we can do about that. If they've known a guy for 20 years....it's the same as we have inside tracks with Ed Schilling and Brooks family. 

No shame in losing on this one. 

55 minutes ago, ephul said:

As do I. Worries me when they keep talking about turning the program around... like we are in a rebuild.

As bad as we were last year, we were one shooting guard away from being a pretty decent team.

I wouldn’t worry about rebuilding, those days have come and gone.

He could be the missing piece of a national championship caliber team next year. 

1 hour ago, ephul said:

When you miss the tourney 2 years in a row at a school like IU and bring in a new coach, it might be view as a rebuild.  I can't really blame them for seeing it that way.

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Did you attend Indiana University? 

Long life dream, didn’t have the stabilized family for big time college tuition.  Spent many nights as a young lad watching Hoosiers on channel 46, shooting the foam bb door hoop calling out Alford for 3!  Born Hoosier!

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You just seem like a very inpatient person but you really need to let the process work out.  It is still early in the process and the signing date is not until November or even April for some players.   You would have really hated the recruiting process in the 80's and early 90's because most did not find out the recruiting class until signing day.

I Just know the Big Boys are coming!  I loved the recruiting process during 80’s/90’s because nobody had any intel or a way of knowing!

38 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Long life dream, didn’t have the stabilized family for big time college tuition.  Spent many nights as a young lad watching Hoosiers on channel 46, shooting the foam bb door hoop calling out Alford for 3!  Born Hoosier!

As far as I am concerned your nights watching IU on channel 46 qualifies you to be an IU fan, big time.  No better place to be. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Out of curiosity why does that matter? Or did I miss something?

I was just curious. He seems to knock kids that don't instantly know they want to play for IU so it seemed like a fair question. Doesn't make him more or less of a fan of IU basketball. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I was just curious. He seems to knock kids that don't instantly know they want to play for IU so it seemed like a fair question. Doesn't make him more or less of a fan of IU basketball. 

Cool. I thought I missed something. Haha..

Archived