MSU is in trouble

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Izzo better get used to getting asked tough questions the rest of the season if he is going to stay as head coach. No way this is going away anytime soon. I wonder how long that Michigan attorney general investigation into MSU is going to take (if it will take beyond the current bb season)?

On 1/26/2018 at 7:31 PM, Hoosrnight said:

I think in the atmosphere now about sexual misconduct, both will be gone. Especially in MSUs case with the Nassar stuff, I think they will want a clean break from anyone that had anything to do with facilitating sex crimes.

I believe they must be gone, but they will try their absolute best to keep their jobs. Those guys didn't strike me as those who would voluntarily resign. There have to be some undisputed evidences to push them out the door. Then, they will make it look like they're voluntarily resigning. 

On 1/28/2018 at 10:44 AM, Muddy River said:

I haven't seen this discussed much, so I will ask.  The Payne/Appling incident was reported to the police, who then decided not to pursue .  So are people suggesting that A) The East Lansing Police department is involved in the cover-up, or B) was there not enough evidence to make a case?  If we believe there wasn't enough evidence, how far can a coach or university go in terms of punishment?  I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on this.

Well, at Minnesota Reggie Lynch is basically off the team despite no criminal charges being filed (and for the record I am not against his suspension).

On 1/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, rico said:

Wow. LA Times reporting instead of anywhere in Michigan. Thanks for the link. I was a bit young at the time and didn't know any of this stuff about Skiles. 

Looks like Izzo learned from Heathcote to cover up/not punish adequately...Basketball Coach Jud Heathcote of Michigan State was so mortified by this third arrest of his senior star that he booted Skiles off the team for, oh, almost five full days. The young man even had to miss an exhibition game. But by the season opener, he was back on the squad. After all, there were baskets to be made and games to be won, and Jud Heathcote figured that, by golly, a young man was entitled to a fourth chance.

Skile's attorney Charles Scruggs had this gem after his court case...Skiles had no comment outside the courtroom. Scruggs, climbing into his car, turned and said: "Those people at Purdue that were running around (and) spitting on Scott, I hope they're satisfied. I had a beagle that was prom queen there once."

On 1/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, jefftheref said:

The Appling/Payne story is true. I have a very good friend who kept stats for the basketball and football programs and has inside sources. I will talk to him on Monday and see if he has information. 

Be interested to hear what an insider might have to say.

After watching the Payne police video, I got the impression that Appling was the instigator and Payne was weak and went along with it. Not defending him at all because rape is a terrible thing and they both should have been punished appropriately for it. 

7 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Wow. LA Times reporting instead of anywhere in Michigan. Thanks for the link. I was a bit young at the time and didn't know any of this stuff about Skiles. 

Looks like Izzo learned from Heathcote to cover up/not punish adequately...Basketball Coach Jud Heathcote of Michigan State was so mortified by this third arrest of his senior star that he booted Skiles off the team for, oh, almost five full days. The young man even had to miss an exhibition game. But by the season opener, he was back on the squad. After all, there were baskets to be made and games to be won, and Jud Heathcote figured that, by golly, a young man was entitled to a fourth chance.

Skile's attorney Charles Scruggs had this gem after his court case...Skiles had no comment outside the courtroom. Scruggs, climbing into his car, turned and said: "Those people at Purdue that were running around (and) spitting on Scott, I hope they're satisfied. I had a beagle that was prom queen there once."

Purdue fans were rough on Skiles.

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Be interested to hear what an insider might have to say.

After watching the Payne police video, I got the impression that Appling was the instigator and Payne was weak and went along with it. Not defending him at all because rape is a terrible thing and they both should have been punished appropriately for it. 

Methinks nothing will come of this. Exactly like some other major investigations where people got off. 

I did talk with my friend yesterday and he said that Izzo and D'Antonio cooperated with authorities when all this went down. He supported them 100% and said ESPN is way off base. He did say it was embarrassing to the university but he stated that nothing will happen to both coaches. I am not surprised at his response as this man bleeds green and white. 

3 hours ago, MNHoosier09 said:

Well, at Minnesota Reggie Lynch is basically off the team despite no criminal charges being filed (and for the record I am not against his suspension).

Of course you aren't against it, and neither am I, but what if it was your kid,  or what if it was you?  If someone makes an allegation of a horrible act, that can't be effectively proven in court, how far can/should we go?  For what crimes are just the allegation enough?  Does due process apply to athletic scholarships?  Just interesting questions to me.

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Of course you aren't against it, and neither am I, but what if it was your kid,  or what if it was you?  If someone makes an allegation of a horrible act, that can't be effectively proven in court, how far can/should we go?  For what crimes are just the allegation enough?  Does due process apply to athletic scholarships?  Just interesting questions to me.

I have had this thought as well. In no way whatsoever, especially as someone with 2 daughters, am I defending the Izzo. But the question is, if a horrible allegation is made and is investigated, but the police/investigators decide not to press/pursue charges, then what is the responsibility of the coach to discipline the players? Like you, I'm not saying they shouldn't be disciplined, just asking the question. 

The greater question should even be why were charges pressed, and did the athletic department/coaches have influence into why charges weren't pressed. That would be the real major issue IMO. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have had this thought as well. In no way whatsoever, especially as someone with 2 daughters, am I defending the Izzo. But the question is, if a horrible allegation is made and is investigated, but the police/investigators decide not to press/pursue charges, then what is the responsibility of the coach to discipline the players? Like you, I'm not saying they shouldn't be disciplined, just asking the question. 

The greater question should even be why were charges pressed, and did the athletic department/coaches have influence into why charges weren't pressed. That would be the real major issue IMO. 

Do some research on Florida State and the Tallahassee PD. I would venture to guess that quite a few major college athletic departments have similar relationships with the local police.

1 minute ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Do some research on Florida State and the Tallahassee PD. I would venture to guess that quite a few major college athletic departments have similar relationships with the local police.

Absolutely, which was my point, that's the real systematic issue. Whether a coach did/didn't suspend some guys isn't the real issue, the real issue is the power said coach/athletic department may have over the powers that be (police/local judicial system, board of trustees, etc.). That's what needs to be investigated and sniffed out, if that's what happened. 

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

The Duke Lacrosse case comes quickly to mind. 

On 1/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, addictedtoIU said:

I believe they must be gone, but they will try their absolute best to keep their jobs. Those guys didn't strike me as those who would voluntarily resign. There have to be some undisputed evidences to push them out the door. Then, they will make it look like they're voluntarily resigning. 

If his firing is inevitable then Tom should just relax and enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

MSU extends Dantonio’s contract amid NCAA investigation - SB Nation
https://apple.news/AlwOwXaFAQKCD2Qr-6haDsA

You know...the contract is for six years.  I think they could have slid for a year without an extension to see how everything goes.  Instead, it's business as usual at Sexual Assault U.

No way would I ever allow my daughter to go into that den of wolves with their enabler administrators.

I posted earlier in the thread about my dislike of MSU after living just an hour north of Lansing when the Skiles arrests were being ignored in the local media! But as was posted above the police campus collusion exists all over. High school friend of mine went to Purdon’t (I know) over the summer one year told me how he was riding his bike on campus when he was hit by a car. The guy jumped out of his car and started yelling obscenities about the damage to his car and drove off. Friend reported everything to the campus police and when they came back to him, they told him the driver was on the football team. They STRONGLY persuaded him it was in his best interests not to pursue charges. This was the early 70’s, nothing new here!

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I posted earlier in the thread about my dislike of MSU after living just an hour north of Lansing when the Skiles arrests were being ignored in the local media! But as was posted above the police campus collusion exists all over. High school friend of mine went to Purdon’t (I know) over the summer one year told me how he was riding his bike on campus when he was hit by a car. The guy jumped out of his car and started yelling obscenities about the damage to his car and drove off. Friend reported everything to the campus police and when they came back to him, they told him the driver was on the football team. They STRONGLY persuaded him it was in his best interests not to pursue charges. This was the early 70’s, nothing new here!

It happens everywhere.  It ain't a Michigan State thing or a Purdue thing.  Everywhere, and that includes IU.

• 1 month later...

Archived