Xavier Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

Jack Nunge is 0-4 against IU dating back to his time in Iowa...In those 4 games, he was 8-20 from the field and averaged almost 7 ppg...He was Luka Garza's backup for the most part... 

Trayce played in 2 of those games (2020-21 season) and averaged 15 ppg...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I recall watching Xavier last year and thought that Freemantle was a loose cannon.  I stumbled across these concerning him:

Xavier forward Zach Freemantle suspended indefinitely - Banners On The Parkway

Xavier's Zach Freemantle rejoins team after last week's suspension (cincinnati.com)

The matchup between Freemantle and Race should be very entertaining... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Race just need to be prepared for Freemantle chucking up a shot every time he gets the ball.  Unless Sean Miller has changed Zach's approach to the game.

From what I saw against Montana, he hasn't... He got it, most of the time it was going up... 

• Haha 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Nunge is a more perimeter oriented player than Freemantle. 

I'm just going on who we've put on players like Nunge...Big 10 guys who were post up players that have an outside game...Hunter Dickinson, Steven Crowl, and Filip Rebecca... TJD drew those assignments.

Freemantle doesn't have much of a game from 3 but he does like to get it on the outside and drive... 

I don't know... Guess we'll see... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'm just going on who we've put on players like Nunge...Big 10 guys who were post up players that have an outside game...Hunter Dickinson, Steven Crowl, and Filip Rebecca... TJD drew those assignments.

Freemantle doesn't have much of a game from 3 but he does like to get it on the outside and drive... 

I don't think Nunge and Hunter Dickinson are very comparable as players. 

Either way... those two can try and post TJD and RT all game long, if they want. I don't think that is their best route to success... I think they'll go open post, dribble drive, lots of ball screens. Nunge seems like he can be effective in pnr situation since he can roll or pop. 

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Nunge and Hunter Dickinson are very comparable as players. 

Either way... those two can try and post TJD and RT all game long, if they want. I don't think that is their best route to success... I think they'll go open post, dribble drive, lots of ball screens. Nunge seems like he can be effective in pnr situation since he can roll or pop. 

Nunge will never see the ball if Freemantle has it.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 8:14 PM, KoB2011 said:

My question still stands, why would the bench get shorter? Who would get cut?

We have a 9 man rotation right now, that’s not going to change next Friday. The only guy you could cut is Geronimo and he is playing too well. There’s no way we are only play 4 guys the minutes at the 1-3 so Bates and Galloway definitely aren’t having their spot in the rotation taken away. 

My response still stands. NOBODY said it should be shorter. But if you paid attention last season CMW did in fact shorten his bench. Not sure how else to say it so you can understand.

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

My response still stands. NOBODY said it should be shorter. But if you paid attention last season CMW did in fact shorten his bench. Not sure how else to say it so you can understand.

It didn't shorten in November last year, it shortened later in the season when injuries and discipline issues happened and you had a freshman (Bates) that was playing inconsistently so he got inconsistent minutes. 

The question of why would it get shorter right now (from the 9 man rotation we've been playing) is a valid response to your pondering what will happen to the rotation and if the bench will get shorter. It's literally what Mike Woodson is going to have to think through with regards to it. The most likely answer is that we will see the same 9 man rotation but the minute dispersion will change unless we beat Xavier by a lot more points than I think any of us are expecting. 

If you don't want to discuss why it would or wouldn't get shorter, then why'd you say "Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter"?