Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, Desert Hoosier said:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Isn't it hard to believe he has not picked a school at this late point in his high school career?  That after the season ends, he is going to devote his entire attention to this decision. It just seems unimaginable. If we believe he does have a school in mind, what possible benefit would it serve to delay the announcement if not for fan blowback. Regarding the Gary Harris example, I would suggest that this is apples and oranges. It was a different time when he was being recruited. We had the "movement" which was regarded as one of the best recruiting classes coming in. Cody Zeller already had a year with us. We saw big things on the horizon. As happy as I am with the incoming recruits next year, I would say they are not as highly regarded as in the years 2011 and 2012. Myself and many IU fans believe we need Romeo Langford. He is the Michael Jordan of high school basketball. Gary Harris was great and would have been a huge get, but his impact would not have been as stark in 2012 as Langford's would be in 2018. IU is very hungry for excellent recruits and we have no five star athletes as of yet. Again...just my opinion.  :ph34r:

No.  This isn't hard to believe.. why do some of you constantly believe in conspiracies? Duke and UL were at the forefront of this recruitment for a long time. Duke decided to go with other options and UL.. well.. you know. Indiana got a new coach and Vandy just entered the picture recently... those two schools haven't been in the picture very long at all. The timing and location are irrelevant. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JcityHoosier said:

I think Garland thinks he's freinds with Romeo more than Romeo does. I have a good feeling about us landing him...

As I recall, Romeo also has friends among IU's players and recruits.  Speculation is fun, but no...I don't believe it's a done deal.  Done deals have a way of getting leaked.

3 hours ago, Desert Hoosier said:

I completely agree with this. Many of my friends have said the same thing. If he is one and done, he may not be looking at a title run at the college level. He'll put in his year with his friends at Vandy and then follow the money. I also find it hard to believe that he has no idea where he is going prior to his big announcement. As for the pressure of waiting...if he chose another school, some may say he would face more pressure trying to break high school records and facing angry crowds throughout his home state of Indiana. Fans will feel betrayed and make sure he knows it in the stands. From what I'm reading, they are very excited for him right now and chanting IU IU. He has their full support. However, I think there really would be a backlash should he renounce us. Just my opinion...

That's really weird...you quoted dbmhoosier and it got attributed to me somehow?  For the record, I feel exactly the opposite...I don't think if Romeo announces at the McDonald's game it means anything regarding his choice.  It's all good though...agree to disagree.  I just found it odd that I got credited for someone else's quote.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I recall, Romeo also has friends among IU's players and recruits.  Speculation is fun, but no...I don't believe it's a done deal.  Done deals have a way of getting leaked.

Two of which he played with on the Junior All-Star team and will play with on the Senior team.

13 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people say Vandy

Those who say Vandy can always come back and say I'm so glad I was wrong. Haha...kidding aside. If he chooses Vandy I just won't understand it one bit. Life will go on but this one will hurt. If he chooses Kansas I can deal. Vandy though? Why should some below average program in a historically weak basketball conference get the benefit of this Hoosier. 

I remember the wrath in state prospects (and families) would receive if they chose elsewhere. Maybe we should go back to those days??

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Those who say Vandy can always come back and say I'm so glad I was wrong. Haha...kidding aside. If he chooses Vandy I just won't understand it one bit. Life will go on but this one will hurt. If he chooses Kansas I can deal. Vandy though? Why should some below average program in a historically weak basketball conference get the benefit of this Hoosier. 

I remember the wrath in state prospects (and families) would receive if they chose elsewhere. Maybe we should go back to those days??

I got my pitchforks ready, j/k......

You know what I think?  I think people who tweet things simply to stir the pot are pathetic and people just need to quit following them.  No excuse for crap like that.  This kid doesn't deserve it.  And, if you are questioning Romeo's motives, you could not be more wrong.

Read through most of this. Lots of opinions and scenarios that very well may be true or may be bunk. We may know soon or we may never know what really has driven Romeo and his family to make this decision on their own terms.

Fouls seems to have a good feel about Romeo . From everything he has said and everything reported, Romeo is a stand up kid. Given that, maybe this is as simple as a kid wanting to enjoy his senior year and wanting to dedicate himself to helping his team go as far as possible in the tournament.

6 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Vandy gives him the best chance to win immediately as he can play with 2 fellow burger boys.

I just don’t get this outlook at all.  IMO, IU will have a far better roster from top to bottom compared to Vandy, assuming Morgan comes back.  Garland is better than Phinisee, but I would take a senior Morgan over Shittu every day, especially with him coming off an ACL injury.  Other than that, I would take IU’s roster.  We’ve been very competitive in most of the games this year, and would arguably have wins against Wisky, Illinois (no doubt), Duke, Purdue and Ohio State if we actually had one dead eye shooter/playmaker.  Even with the roster we have (that’s pretty poorly constructed), I feel that we’re a Romeo type player from being a pretty good team.  Probably not a title contender, but add him with what we have coming in and who knows.  I don’t think Vandy can offer anything close to that.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You know what I think?  I think people who tweet things simply to stir the pot are pathetic and people just need to quit following them.  No excuse for crap like that.  This kid doesn't deserve it.  And, if you are questioning Romeo's motives, you could not be more wrong.

Not disagreeing with you but someone like Kendrick who called a couple of verbals well before shouldn't be taken lightly just because they use twitter as their voice. 

26 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I just don’t get this outlook at all.  IMO, IU will have a far better roster from top to bottom compared to Vandy, assuming Morgan comes back.  Garland is better than Phinisee, but I would take a senior Morgan over Shittu every day, especially with him coming off an ACL injury.  Other than that, I would take IU’s roster.  We’ve been very competitive in most of the games this year, and would arguably have wins against Wisky, Illinois (no doubt), Duke, Purdue and Ohio State if we actually had one dead eye shooter/playmaker.  Even with the roster we have (that’s pretty poorly constructed), I feel that we’re a Romeo type player from being a pretty good team.  Probably not a title contender, but add him with what we have coming in and who knows.  I don’t think Vandy can offer anything close to that.  

I mean this with all due respect. Everything you cite is a fans response. Nothing to do with a kid who is a top 5 recruit who will be going pro 14 months from now. Talking $10 Million+ on the line. Those decisions have nothing to do with players coming back. His (and others) decision will be based on plenty of factors but maximizing income will be the priority.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I mean this with all due respect. Everything you cite is a fans response. Nothing to do with a kid who is a top 5 recruit who will be going pro 14 months from now. Talking $10 Million+ on the line. Those decisions have nothing to do with players coming back. His (and others) decision will be based on plenty of factors but maximizing income will be the priority.

Then it's Indiana. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

How is that a fans response?  To your points, how would he be able to maximize his earning potential more at Vandy vs. IU?  Guys who play deep into the tourney and show out during the tourney have their stock increase substantially (see Steph Curry).  Not only would he get more exposure at IU, but his chances of making a deep tourney run are a lot better, which could increase his stock.  Also, most of these top kids do want to win, even though they are probably going to only be in school for a year.  All they’ve done is win their entire life, so that does go into MOST of these kids’ decisions.  His chances of winning big are either at IU or Kansas, and IU betters that chance with Morgan coming back..  I just don’t see that same opportunity at Vandy.

20 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

How is that a fans response?  To your points, how would he be able to maximize his earning potential more at Vandy vs. IU?  Guys who play deep into the tourney and show out during the tourney have their stock increase substantially (see Steph Curry).  Not only would he get more exposure at IU, but his chances of making a deep tourney run are a lot better, which could increase his stock.  Also, most of these top kids do want to win, even though they are probably going to only be in school for a year.  All they’ve done is win their entire life, so that does go into MOST of these kids’ decisions.  His chances of winning big are either at IU or Kansas, and IU betters that chance with Morgan coming back..  I just don’t see that same opportunity at Vandy.

Sorry. You cited roster and/or close losses to sorta of imply that what we have coming back is important during first 4-5 sentences of your post. I'm just saying it isn't hat important to big time recruits.

In terms of winning vs making $. I'll give you the most recent example. Ben Simmons could have went anywhere. Chose LSU. Not for basketball profile because at that level it doesn't matter. Just saying we as IU fans (especially long term ones) might give up on the whole student body rah rah stuff. It only goes so far with the elite of elite.

Not trying to argue either. I'm just saying that some of our IU ways might be prohibiting us from getting the truly elite guys. Just my 2 cents. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. You cited roster and/or close losses to sorta of imply that what we have coming back is important during first 4-5 sentences of your post. I'm just saying it isn't hat important to big time recruits.

In terms of winning vs making $. I'll give you the most recent example. Ben Simmons could have went anywhere. Chose LSU. Not for basketball profile because at that level it doesn't matter. Just saying we as IU fans (especially long term ones) might give up on the whole student body rah rah stuff. It only goes so far with the elite of elite.

Not trying to argue either. I'm just saying that some of our IU ways might be prohibiting us from getting the truly elite guys. Just my 2 cents. 

I understand the Ben Simmons thing, but I just don’t see many top recruits going that route.  It does happen and has happened more recently, I just believe those are exceptions for the most part.  Good back and forth :) 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Then it's Indiana. 

I know you think Langford is good enough that the competition won’t matter, but I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. One could look at Vandy as being a better choice for maximizing draft position because he won’t be playing against the level of competition that he’d face in the B1G. I’d have to think he’d be averaging more in the SEC than the B1G.

20 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I know you think Langford is good enough that the competition won’t matter, but I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. One could look at Vandy as being a better choice for maximizing draft position because he won’t be playing against the level of competition that he’d face in the B1G. I’d have to think he’d be averaging more in the SEC than the B1G.

The SEC is better than the B1G this year and it's not that close. I think there's reason to believe it will be close next year. But no.. none of that plays any sort of factor in this decision. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Given that, maybe this is as simple as a kid wanting to enjoy his senior year and wanting to dedicate himself to helping his team go as far as possible in the tournament.

Bingo!  He seems to be a young man of fine character and has amazing God given talent.  That is a rare combination indeed.  However, young men with attitudes like that are exactly what I want to see CAM recruiting to wear the IUBB candy stripes.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

The SEC is better than the B1G this year and it's not that close. I think there's reason to believe it will be close next year. But no.. none of that plays any sort of factor in this decision. 

I think we could probably agree that the SEC being the better league is a rarity lol. I don’t know Langford, so I can’t say what his motivating factors are. I do know that if I was in his situation and was only planning on playing one year, that’s something I would take into consideration. The difference between being drafted first and fifth is over 10 million on a 4 year contract. I’d be weighing every possible factor that could affect my draft positioning. For example, why bang it out in a physical league like the B1G and risk injury to average 20 a game if I think I can go run-n-gun in the PAC 12 and average 30?

18 hours ago, Desert Hoosier said:

I completely agree with this. Many of my friends have said the same thing. If he is one and done, he may not be looking at a title run at the college level. He'll put in his year with his friends at Vandy and then follow the money. I also find it hard to believe that he has no idea where he is going prior to his big announcement. As for the pressure of waiting...if he chose another school, some may say he would face more pressure trying to break high school records and facing angry crowds throughout his home state of Indiana. Fans will feel betrayed and make sure he knows it in the stands. From what I'm reading, they are very excited for him right now and chanting IU IU. He has their full support. However, I think there really would be a backlash should he renounce us. Just my opinion...

Atlanta is also the heart of SEC country.  Not a coincidence in my opinion. 

Archived