Romeo Langford

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just think if it was IU he would announce at New Albany.  If it's out of state all signs point to Vandy IMO.  I expect him to say all the right things...how he loves Indiana, it's his home, he greatly appreciates all the support its given him over the years, etc but that he has to do what's best for him and that Vandy gives him the best chance to win immediately as he can play with 2 fellow burger boys.  I think that's about verbatim what he'll say if he does announce during the McDonald's game.

Agree to disagree. I don't think the location (McDonald's All-American Game) has any impact at all. As has been mentioned, his entire family is going to the game. Also, for Langford this is about exposure more than anything else. If he was announcing during his season, I would understand your point because he'd be turning down announcing in front of a packed gym before a game (a la Yogi), but in his offseason I don't think it makes much difference. I'm sure he'd still pack a press conference at his school, but again I think he's more about national branding/exposure than hearing a bunch of classmates clap for him, he's head that plenty. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BGleas said:

Agree to disagree. I don't think the location (McDonald's All-American Game) has any impact at all. As has been mentioned, his entire family is going to the game. Also, for Langford this is about exposure more than anything else. If he was announcing during his season, I would understand your point because he'd be turning down announcing in front of a packed gym before a game (a la Yogi), but in his offseason I don't think it makes much difference. I'm sure he'd still pack a press conference at his school, but again I think he's more about national branding/exposure than hearing a bunch of classmates clap for him, he's head that plenty. 

Well he's about the only MCD AA who is still uncommitted and I bet he's known where he's going for months.  He's waiting for a reason.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well he's about the only MCD AA who is still uncommitted and I bet he's known where he's going for months.  He's waiting for a reason.

So many reports, yes they are reports and not from langford, say that he has not known for awhile and still playing it out. He's waiting because he is a high school kid making one of the biggest decisions of his life. Think he can think about it for awhile

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So you really think he's waiting because he doesn't want to deal with mad IU fans? I just don't think that's plausible whatsoever. Do you realize how much unnecessary stress that puts on him this year? All the media digging into what he's thinking and constantly texting/calling, everywhere he goes people asking him, I'm sure other coaches still trying to call and wiggle thier way in, etc., etc. 

Why would he put that stress on himself while he's chasing a state title and a scoring record? To avoid maybe a few games where the fans get on him? I've just never bought that theory. 

I don't know where he's going to pick, it very well may be Vandy, but I don't think waiting til Spring or announcing at the McDonald's Game are any indication one way or the other. 

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just think if it was IU he would announce at New Albany.  If it's out of state all signs point to Vandy IMO.  I expect him to say all the right things...how he loves Indiana, it's his home, he greatly appreciates all the support its given him over the years, etc but that he has to do what's best for him and that Vandy gives him the best chance to win immediately as he can play with 2 fellow burger boys.  I think that's about verbatim what he'll say if he does announce during the McDonald's game.

LOL...3 freshmen are not going to turn that train wreck around in one season.  If he wants to win immediately, Vandy would be the worst of his 3 choices.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...3 freshmen are not going to turn that train wreck around in one season.  If he wants to win immediately, Vandy would be the worst of his 3 choices.

Bingo. Now if Juwan tests NBA waters, that could be a different story.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Another thing to take into consideration is, that while I'll believe it when I see it, many think Langford might be like Miles Bridges and stay two years. How's a sophomore year going to be at Vandy when one or both of Garland and/or Shittu aren't there? 

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Rabjohns has already shut down Kendrick's tweet as messing with people.

Well based  on what several of my friends told me.... Rabjohns was pretty much on the Garland to IU train.  Now, I don't know for sure. However, they were telling me about all the conversations Rabby was having with the Garland's, including trips right to the very end. 

Here's what I don't know.  I don't know where Romeo is going.

Here's what I do know.  IU's chances have greatly improved since the start of this basketball season.  And another thing.... currently IU is tied with Vandy in terms of the CB prognostications. 

Lastly , Kendrick is dialed in, in terms of Indiana.  He does not get 'em right all the time.  At times some recruits have a JarodJeffries moment.... saying one thing the night before an announcement, and another at the announcement.  In Kendrick's case... I would trust his gut.  And I don't view his saying he has no intel as a way.... not to steal Romeo's time in the spotlight. 

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I completely agree with this. Many of my friends have said the same thing. If he is one and done, he may not be looking at a title run at the college level. He'll put in his year with his friends at Vandy and then follow the money. I also find it hard to believe that he has no idea where he is going prior to his big announcement. As for the pressure of waiting...if he chose another school, some may say he would face more pressure trying to break high school records and facing angry crowds throughout his home state of Indiana. Fans will feel betrayed and make sure he knows it in the stands. From what I'm reading, they are very excited for him right now and chanting IU IU. He has their full support. However, I think there really would be a backlash should he renounce us. Just my opinion...

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Phinisee, Langford, and Morgan are more dangerous than Garland, Langford, and Shittu, IMO. And I think the supporting cast is better than Vandy's.

Outside of Ayton, not very many freshman bigs have a huge impact. Much more of a jump for them than a guard, IMO.

Not to mention Shittu will be coming back from torn ACL

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well based  on what several of my friends told me.... Rabjohns was pretty much on the Garland to IU train.  Now, I don't know for sure. However, they were telling me about all the conversations Rabby was having with the Garland's, including trips right to the very end. 

Here's what I don't know.  I don't know where Romeo is going.

Here's what I do know.  IU's chances have greatly improved since the start of this basketball season.  And another thing.... currently IU is tied with Vandy in terms of the CB prognostications. 

Lastly , Kendrick is dialed in, in terms of Indiana.  He does not get 'em right all the time.  At times some recruits have a JarodJeffries moment.... saying one thing the night before an announcement, and another at the announcement.  In Kendrick's case... I would trust his gut.  And I don't view his saying he has no intel as a way.... not to steal Romeo's time in the spotlight. 

Yes, Rabjohns got taken by the Garlands. But Rabjohns texted Kendrick himself who said he was quite proud of himself for stirring the pot. 

22 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Did Gary Harris struggle his senior year? Get razzed by the fans? Where does this myth of the venomous high school basketball crowd come from?

Exactly. You'd maybe get some heat for a few games, and then it would basically be opposing high school student sections, which are going to give you heat regardless. That would be much easier to take than the constant pressure of reporters, so called "insiders", college coaches, agents, runners, etc., constantly calling and texting about your recruitment during your season. 

It's not easy dealing with recruiting during the season. It's a huge headache at times, so I really don't think he did this to avoid some fan backlash. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. You'd maybe get some heat for a few games, and then it would basically be opposing high school student sections, which are going to give you heat regardless. That would be much easier to take than the constant pressure of reporters, so called "insiders", college coaches, agents, runners, etc., constantly calling and texting about your recruitment during your season. 

It's not easy dealing with recruiting during the season. It's a huge headache at times, so I really don't think he did this to avoid some fan backlash. 

And keep in mind, if he wanted to play for the "home crowd" his senior season, he'd have picked Louisville, before Pitino screwed up.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Isn't it hard to believe he has not picked a school at this late point in his high school career?  That after the season ends, he is going to devote his entire attention to this decision. It just seems unimaginable. If we believe he does have a school in mind, what possible benefit would it serve to delay the announcement if not for fan blowback. Regarding the Gary Harris example, I would suggest that this is apples and oranges. It was a different time when he was being recruited. We had the "movement" which was regarded as one of the best recruiting classes coming in. Cody Zeller already had a year with us. We saw big things on the horizon. As happy as I am with the incoming recruits next year, I would say they are not as highly regarded as in the years 2011 and 2012. Myself and many IU fans believe we need Romeo Langford. He is the Michael Jordan of high school basketball. Gary Harris was great and would have been a huge get, but his impact would not have been as stark in 2012 as Langford's would be in 2018. IU is very hungry for excellent recruits and we have no five star athletes as of yet. Again...just my opinion.  :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Did Gary Harris struggle his senior year? Get razzed by the fans? Where does this myth of the venomous high school basketball crowd come from?

Wasn't Gary Harris going to be an IU recruit but Crean screwed it up? Seems to me that he gave the scholly to someone else.

59 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yes, Rabjohns got taken by the Garlands. But Rabjohns texted Kendrick himself who said he was quite proud of himself for stirring the pot. 

Wow.  One guy gets paid to follow recruits (Rabby), and the other actually follows and talks to kids who know recruits ( Kendrick).   Who to believe ?  Who to believe ?

Right now, I am trusting my sources.  Who say it is yet to be determined.  However, IU's star has risen since the start of the season. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Wow.  One guy gets paid to follow recruits (Rabby), and the other actually follows and talks to kids who know recruits ( Kendrick).   Who to believe ?  Who to believe ?

Right now, I am trusting my sources.  Who say it is yet to be determined.  However, IU's star has risen since the start of the season. 

Wow - so Kendrick Garland confirmed the whole thing was a PR move?  Rab should need to re-evaluate his sources...

16 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Wow - so Kendrick Garland confirmed the whole thing was a PR move?  Rab should need to re-evaluate his sources...

No. The Garland family absolutely snowed Rabjohns. ND Kendrick, from the above tweets, flat out told Rabjohns that he was just stirring the pot and tweeting about his gut.

46 minutes ago, Desert Hoosier said:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Isn't it hard to believe he has not picked a school at this late point in his high school career?  That after the season ends, he is going to devote his entire attention to this decision. It just seems unimaginable. If we believe he does have a school in mind, what possible benefit would it serve to delay the announcement if not for fan blowback. Regarding the Gary Harris example, I would suggest that this is apples and oranges. It was a different time when he was being recruited. We had the "movement" which was regarded as one of the best recruiting classes coming in. Cody Zeller already had a year with us. We saw big things on the horizon. As happy as I am with the incoming recruits next year, I would say they are not as highly regarded as in the years 2011 and 2012. Myself and many IU fans believe we need Romeo Langford. He is the Michael Jordan of high school basketball. Gary Harris was great and would have been a huge get, but his impact would not have been as stark in 2012 as Langford's would be in 2018. IU is very hungry for excellent recruits and we have no five star athletes as of yet. Again...just my opinion.  :ph34r:

It's also hard to believe that he knew where he wanted to go in the Fall but delayed it because he's afraid of mad IU fans. He had no problem turning IU down for Louisville. 

He's deciding/signing in the Spring because it's always been the plan, and then also because the school he was planning on essentially had their program destroyed. He had to reevaluate and one of those schools he's reevaluating (IU) also has a new coach, so it's not crazy to believe he wants to see that coach's style/system more. He also wants to see who stays/goes, which is completely logical, especially for a kid who's #1 school got blown up in the blink of an eye. 

Has he had a leader in his mind? Most likely. But clearly he hasn't felt ready to pull the trigger on any school yet. 

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No. The Garland family absolutely snowed Rabjohns. ND Kendrick, from the above tweets, flat out told Rabjohns that he was just stirring the pot and tweeting about his gut.

Based on what Kendrick predicted about JBJ.... I would rather go with his gut, than what Rabby reportedly was spewing about IU in terms of Garland.  Rabby, from my understanding led IU fans to believe IU was in the lead.  Yet , Garland said IU was a distant third.  Not even a close second.  Again, one guy gets paid for what he does.  The other just talks to kids.

Personally, I think Kendrick is covering his tracks... in order not to have another "Yogi' moment.... taking the thunder away from the kid.

Having said all that.... I still don't know if a final decision has been made.  But from reliable sources from over the years.... IU stands in good stead. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's also hard to believe that he knew where he wanted to go in the Fall but delayed it because he's afraid of mad IU fans. He had no problem turning IU down for Louisville. 

He's deciding/signing in the Spring because it's always been the plan, and then also because the school he was planning on essentially had their program destroyed. He had to reevaluate and one of those schools he's reevaluating (IU) also has a new coach, so it's not crazy to believe he wants to see that coach's style/system more. He also wants to see who stays/goes, which is completely logical, especially for a kid who's #1 school got blown up in the blink of an eye. 

Has he had a leader in his mind? Most likely. But clearly he hasn't felt ready to pull the trigger on any school yet. 

I appreciate your response.

Archived