Romeo Langford

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think MSU could still be pretty good if Bridges is the only that leaves early.  If Jackson leaves then that would be bad for them but I just don't see why he would leave this year.

Jackson might get drafted higher than Bridges. He's gone. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo may be the highest uncommitted recruit but he is hardly the only one.  IU is fortunate he did not commit early. If he had, I do not think it would have been IU.

Evidently Paul Biancardi (I believe it was him) from ESPN feels the same way.  He tweeted out the longer it takes before Romeo decides, the better he thinks it is for IU

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am different because I wouldn't go until I knew I could contribute right away.  I wouldn't want to sit the bench or play in the G-league over playing big ten basketball.

Pay me $20 million and I will not only sit the bench but do the laundry.  Lottery pick you almost have to leave.

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Evidently Paul Biancardi (I believe it was him) from ESPN feels the same way.  He tweeted out the longer it takes before Romeo decides, the better he thinks it is for IU

Ever since he cut the list to three schools, IUs season has been the most critical factor in his recruitment.  The wheels could still come off, but i feel the season has done more good than harm for iu chances.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am different because I wouldn't go until I knew I could contribute right away.  I wouldn't want to sit the bench or play in the G-league over playing big ten basketball.

So you’d pass up millions of dollars to play in college for nothing.  Can’t say I think that’s a smart decision, but to each their own...

Regardless, you’re wrong about Jackson not being ready to contribute right away.  He’s already an elite three point shooter and shot blocker.  He’ll be getting minutes from Day 1.

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ever since he cut the list to three schools, IUs season has been the most critical factor in his recruitment.  The wheels could still come off, but i feel the season has done more good than harm for iu chances.

You'd have to think then that Vandy's disaster of a season has hurt, right?

46 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So you’d pass up millions of dollars to play in college for nothing.  Can’t say I think that’s a smart decision, but to each their own...

Regardless, you’re wrong about Jackson not being ready to contribute right away.  He’s already an elite three point shooter and shot blocker.  He’ll be getting minutes from Day 1.

I would stay my four years just like most of the all time great players in basketball did.  Victor told the kids the other day that college will l be the last time that you can just go out and play and enjoy yourself.  I hear former players say all the time that they which they would have stayed in college longer.  Also being a good 3 point shooter in college is different than doing it in the NBA since the line is 3 feet long longer.

also I feel that college players do make money especially if you are smart and learn how to spend your scholarship money.  If athletic scholarships are anything like my daughters full ride then you should have plenty of money to live on.  She receives enough money back each semester to pay for her apartment and pay for her car and all of her living expenses without getting a job.

FW Hoosiers I was not joking and I don't know why it would be funny not to stay in college.  Unless you are totally living in poverty I don't know why anyone would leave to go to the NBA until you play your 4 years.  I lived in a middle class family and felt no pressure to take care of my family so I would stay in college and have fun before having to live you life as an adult.

Also there is more to adapting to the NBA lifetime style than just what goes on the court.  Not to many 18 year old kids I know would be ready to live on their own and take care of their money. This tends to get kids in trouble because they sometimes trust people with their money who scam them.  Just watch the 30 fo r30 going broke to see how these kids are not ready mentally for the pro like style.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think it was the best choice.. I don't think it was a bad choice though. 

Why wasn't it the best choice if that was what Bridges wanted to do.  Why do people think they know better what is good for the kid than that kid himself.  To may hanger ons around these kids wanting them to do what is best for the hanger ons and not for that kid.

It's clearly a personal choice.  If I was in the situation, I could honestly see myself staying two, if not three, years.  It depends on what my goals were.  And, winning a championship would rank higher than anything else on that list.

Really, if you know you have a future in the league, the only major disadvantage to staying is the risk of injury.  Missing out on a couple of extra years' of salary isn't really relevant if you expect to play in the league for 10 years anyway.  Who needs 70 million when you already have 60 million?

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Whose career would you have wanted Tyler Hansborough or Noah Vonleh

Hansbourough- year college player-national champion-player of the year and very little success in the pros

Vonleh- 1 year college player-journeyman pro player who probably has made more money than Tyler.

Wait.. you just said it was a personal choice? So... you can't compare the two. Vonleh might be completely fine with his choice. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Whose career would you have wanted Tyler Hansborough or Noah Vonleh

Hansbourough- year college player-national champion-player of the year and very little success in the pros

Vonleh- 1 year college player-journeyman pro player who probably has made more money than Tyler.

Vonleh: Made $11.4M in salary by age 22 with another $4.7M guaranteed by age 23.

Hansborough: Made $0 in salary by age 22, with $1.8M guaranteed by age 23.  

Hansborough made $16.5M in salary playing in the NBA from age 23 to age 30.  Vonleh will have made $16.1M in salary by age 23, and will probably add at least another $20M to that by the time he turns 30.  I question the intelligence of anyone who would prefer Hansborough’s basketball career.

What’s the rule with eligibility If one declares for the draft, gets drafted but does not hire an agent, is he still eligible? That’s the case for baseball, and personally, I like it. I also don’t see why a prospective pro athlete can’t give someone their OWN money to help them make decisions and achieve their goals. It protects the kid.

IMO, the NCAA needs to allow this type of thing for their own brand. It’s one way the NCAA can have some power over the NBA and NFL.  There are multiple MLB teams using high picks on guys that don’t sign. What a shame it is to watch college juniors plummet in the NFL draft on draft day. 

Archived